Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

I didn't get my wish. And I'm now listening to my wife saying that while she doesn't want to live anywhere else, she doesn't want to feel like maybe she needs to and maybe it would be better, that maybe she is no longer welcome, and that the UK is simply too bloody embarrassing to be in.

I fucking hate this. All of it. What a horrible mess these incompetents made and continue to make. And May's already showing her speech was bullshit, which must be some kind of record.

Trent

I can't disagree with you Indigo. My comments were more a case of 'be careful what you wish for' even in anger.
The view that those who made the mess should sort it out has certainly been expressed here, although in truth I don't believe those saying it would genuinely have wanted these self serving vermin anywhere near genuine influence if they had the choice.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 13 July, 2016, 10:21:36 PM
I didn't get my wish. And I'm now listening to my wife saying that while she doesn't want to live anywhere else, she doesn't want to feel like maybe she needs to and maybe it would be better, that maybe she is no longer welcome, and that the UK is simply too bloody embarrassing to be in.

Same boat. I feel so ashamed I brought my wife here, and keep her here because I don't know any other language unlike her...

sheridan

Definitely time for me and the S.O. to brush up on our foreign languages (Berlin is nice this time of year - and will shortly be full of British tech ex-pats).

NapalmKev

Fuck leaving! Far better to stay and try and affect change from within.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Pyroxian

https://www.bas.ac.uk/jobs/

May not be far away though... Maybe we could all chip in for a Mars mission...

Modern Panther

QuoteBoris Johnson is the new Foreign Secretary. Satire is dead.

Good move, politically.  Creates the impression of consensus, but puts BawJaws is a role where he's likely to make a complete tit of himself very publicly.  A career in journalism will soon beckon.

TordelBack

Quote from: Modern Panther on 14 July, 2016, 05:16:21 PM
... puts BawJaws is a role where he's likely to make a complete tit of himself very publicly.

But isn't that exactly what he's done for his entire political career? Isn't it why he now has an important cabinet post? I'm not sure I see any imminent change in trajectory.

Modern Panther

I can't see the clown role surviving much beyond his first trip to Turkey.  I think this was was calculated to be the end of him.

Frank

Quote from: Trent on 13 July, 2016, 10:15:26 PM
Maybe with Bojo, Davis and Fox getting roles that involve our dealings with other countries she's saying to them "you made this mess, you fucking sort it out"

Foreign Office: Boris Johnson

International Trade: Liam Fox

Brexit: David Davis

International Development: Priti Patel

Ferret trainers put their most feral animals in a sack and let them fight it out among themselves.

Making all the incredibly serious, heavyweight, and senior Brexiteers subordinate to Boris at the Foreign Office is the most hilariously passive aggressive political act since Cameron put IDS in charge of making disabled people homeless.

It makes May look serious about Brexit and ensures that lot stay (publically) loyal for a little while. Shouldn't take them long to destroy each other - none of them (or the public) agree on what Brexit actually entails.

The idea that 52% of the population all voted for the same thing doesn't stand up to much scrutiny, and once everyone realises only a messy compromise is possible, May will be standing there, like your mum, saying I told you so.

ZenArcade

How much did you say those tickets to Mars were Pyroxian?  Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Legendary Shark

52% of the colonists will only vote to come home anyway - despite the fact that there's no rocket.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Steven Denton

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 14 July, 2016, 08:00:45 PM
52% of the colonists will only vote to come home anyway - despite the fact that there's no rocket.

:lol:

IndigoPrime

Starting to wonder whether May is playing chess. I honestly have no idea what her end game is any more. She talks tough when it comes to immigration and the EU in general, and yet is now stating that we will only leave when there is British consensus about a way forward and also an actual feasible plan in place. I want to feel there's a glimmer of hope for this being kicked into the long grass or us at least coming out of this with a half-decent deal, but politics is all over the place right now.

COMMANDO FORCES

It's all kicking off in Turkey now!

QuoteTurkey's PM has denounced an "illegal action" by a military "group", with bridges closed in Istanbul and aircraft flying low over the capital, Ankara.
Binali Yildirim said the military action was not authorised but it was not a coup. He said that the government remained in charge.
Traffic has been stopped from crossing both the Bosphorus and Fatih Sultan Mehmet bridges in Istanbul.
There are reports of gunshots in the capital Ankara.
Tanks are also said to be stationed outside Istanbul airport.
Mr Yildirim told NTV television by telephone: "We are working on the possibility of an attempt. We will not allow this attempt." He did not elaborate.
"Those who are in this illegal act will pay the highest price," he added, saying it would not be correct to describe the move as a "coup".