Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lobo Baggins

Dash Decent is a very odd thing - it's more or less a thinly disguised version of Kenny Everett's* Captain Kremmen sketches with all the smut taken out, even though a Kenny Everett sketch with all the smut taken out is pretty much five minutes of silence.  It's also possible that's where Tharg's name came from (Kremmen was often bothered by the Thargoids).

https://youtu.be/pyjKPbkkW9k

*A ubiquitous 70's and early 80's British DJ and television personality - you may remember him as the DJ who appears on the first page of Terror Tube in prog 167.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Dandontdare

Re the Green Cross Man - I saw Dave Prowse give a talk recently and he says this is his proudest achievement - for 5 years he toured schools as well as doing the TV ads and the campaign halved child road deaths in the UK from 20,000 to 10,000 - for which he was later awarded a MBE by the Queen

Steve Green

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 09 August, 2017, 09:45:18 AM
Dash Decent is a very odd thing - it's more or less a thinly disguised version of Kenny Everett's* Captain Kremmen sketches with all the smut taken out, even though a Kenny Everett sketch with all the smut taken out is pretty much five minutes of silence.  It's also possible that's where Tharg's name came from (Kremmen was often bothered by the Thargoids).

Dash Decent is like a giant sink hole of British pop culture stuff! I guess the lisping doctor Zellemy is based off and impression of a TV actor named Bellemy from a children's show called Tiswas? It's ridiculous!

Quote from: Dandontdare on 09 August, 2017, 12:40:38 PM
Re the Green Cross Man - I saw Dave Prowse give a talk recently and he says this is his proudest achievement - for 5 years he toured schools as well as doing the TV ads and the campaign halved child road deaths in the UK from 20,000 to 10,000 - for which he was later awarded a MBE by the Queen

I keep trying to explain that kids don't naturally know how to cross the street safely! I'll again mention that as a kid in the US a few years after this we ABSOLUTELY had a bunch of things like the Green Cross Code, Fox is just a crazy person about this issue! :D
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 09 August, 2017, 04:33:38 PM
Dash Decent is like a giant sink hole of British pop culture stuff! I guess the lisping doctor Zellemy is based off and impression of a TV actor named Bellemy from a children's show called Tiswas? It's ridiculous!

David Bellamy was a botanist and TV presenter, and I think Lenny Henry used to do an impersonation of him on TISWAS - although I think TISWAS was a London only programme that most of the country never actually saw.  We were still getting repeats of The Banana Splits in my area (Southern) at the time.

Oh, and both he and Walter's speech impediments aren't lisps, it's a rhotacism.  Lithping characterth turn up eventhually, donth worry.

I keep trying to explain that kids don't naturally know how to cross the street safely! I'll again mention that as a kid in the US a few years after this we ABSOLUTELY had a bunch of things like the Green Cross Code, Fox is just a crazy person about this issue! :D

Well, at least no one actually dies in the Green Cross Code PIFs - if you want to show Fox some of the true horrors some of us had to sit through, you need to show him the dreaded Apaches https://youtu.be/UAQZaUixmpA
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Steve Green

Kind of.

Zellamy is a caricature of David Bellamy a British botanist/tv presenter - I guess the equivalent is a botany version of Neil Degrasse Tyson, but he was also a favourite (or favouwite) of impressionists, including Lenny Henry who did an impression of him on Tiswas, usually during a segment called Compost Corner.

https://youtu.be/TKn5otfZHxE?t=53 This clip will probably raise more questions than answers...

So...

Yes that is Phil Collins dressed as a sunflower
Crossroads was a daytime soap filmed in the same studios
Sandy was a character in a wheelchair in the soap...

Steve Green

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 09 August, 2017, 04:59:28 PM

David Bellamy was a botanist and TV presenter, and I think Lenny Henry used to do an impersonation of him on TISWAS - although I think TISWAS was a London only programme that most of the country never actually saw.  We were still getting repeats of The Banana Splits in my area (Southern) at the time.

Oh, and both he and Walter's speech impediments aren't lisps, it's a rhotacism.  Lithping characterth turn up eventhually, donth worry.

Well, at least no one actually dies in the Green Cross Code PIFs - if you want to show Fox some of the true horrors some of us had to sit through, you need to show him the dreaded Apaches https://youtu.be/UAQZaUixmpA

Tiswas was ATV/Central filmed in Birmingham - we got it in the midlands (before the volgs nuked it), I expect it was just midlands and London that had Tiswas to start with.

One of the presenters came to our school for some event and I had a home-made Darth Vader costume (for reasons I don't remember), he asked my Dad if he could make one for his son, and we ended up getting tickets to the studio.

All the parents were stuck in the cage to have water/stuff thrown at them, but my Dad got to hang out with the cast of Crossroads...

I won't bother trying to explain the dying fly or the phantom flan flinger...

Dark Jimbo

David Bellamy is immortalised in the prog more memorably when he appeared in Dredd as 'David Baloney' sometime around the 300s.
@jamesfeistdraws

The Legendary Shark

We had Tiswas in darkest Lancashire - I remember Sally James's garters with particular fondness...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Quote from: Steve Green on 09 August, 2017, 05:05:08 PMThis clip will probably raise more questions than answers...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 09 August, 2017, 06:32:08 PM

We had Tiswas in darkest Lancashire - I remember Sally James's garters with particular fondness...

*sigh* Sally James...

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SpaceSpinner2000

Judge Dredd heads out into the deadly wastes of the former United States in The Cursed Earth, the first in our series of Space Spinner Collections! These collections have all of our coverage for a specific character or storyline, all in one place. They're a great accompaniment to reading collected versions of 2000AD, or to just hear your favorite thrill all in one place.

This week we load up our Land Raiders to head to Mega-City 2, and fight all the mutants, giant rats, dinosaurs, and relics of the old world that get in our path.

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling fifty-sixth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 180-183 of 2000 AD, covering October of 1980. Join us as we finish the quest for the Judge Child, figure out how robots fit into the Mean Arena, and go to the vats with Meltdown Man! Also Johnny Alpha accepts a bounty on Hitler. LET THE SHOW BEGIN!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Steve Green

+++Spacespinner 2000 educational supplement+++

I'd mistakenly assumed teddy boys were solely influenced by 50s US Rock music, but it seems,  that the name stems from an Edwardian influence (shortened to Teddy), but then adopted aspects from the US.

http://www.edwardianteddyboy.com/page2.htm

+++Spacespinner 2000 educational supplement+++

Colin YNWA

Well far from it taking me an age to get through these I'm fair pounding through them I'm finding them so enjoyable.

A recent camping trip saw me get to episode 42 and also reminded me of a question that I've been meaning to ask. You often to refer to things people might do if they are following along. Are you aware of people doing that. Has your infectious enjoyment... well infected people? Do you think you've got folks engaged with the Galaxies Greatest?

I'm sure I could do a little work, put some effort in and find out for myself from your various social media platforms... but you can't seriously expect a lazy ass like myself to do things for himself can you... after all I've still got another 15 or so episodes to catch up on...

... You chaps might sometimes have some crazy opinions - one day I will sit you down and if necessary beat your love of the hideous Disaster 1990 out of you... but man I'm loving your work. So before I forget thanks for all the fun times... as you American types seem to say... a LOT!