Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Dandontdare on 26 March, 2018, 01:35:19 PM
Another fun episode, but I don't know where you're doing your research on conkers - they're not hazelnuts, but Horse Chestnuts, (not the edible kind) - do those grow in the US?

The chestnut/hazelnut thing is me having a massive brain fart and/or not know how different nuts work. Things like Conkers and Skittles are for sure Mysterious Albion to me!  The Orbitz is cool though, when I was checking things out for the show I ended up in a deep youtube hole looking at videos of late 70s early 80s toys!

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 26 March, 2018, 08:01:52 AM
Snork as referenced in the Dredd refers to Stork Margarine a butter sub from back in the day 9may well still make it who knows. Anyway here's an ad that has that makes use of a reference I've whittered about before.

Wow that is a ridiculous ad! We had similar things for margarine over here, but in the form of a product literally called "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!" I had a lot of google problems this episode, both with Stork and with British Holiday Camps (which mostly gave me...a selection of Camp websites) but I've figured it out a bit by now. There's a pretty funny Wikipedia page about them that gives a list of famous Red coats and Blue coats, but doesn't take time to define what those are or what the difference between them is!

Quote from: Steve Green on 26 March, 2018, 02:15:24 PM
I think I'm enjoying the space spinner sing-a-long version more than when I read it originally.

Phil Oakey, lead singer of the Human League was a reader (or at least wore a t-shirt), but I love the idea of Don't you want me being used...

He gets mentioned as a fan in a Mega-Sounds column in a few weeks also. I'd assume that it's a copyright thing, but then there's a song from Tommy in there, which couldn't have been in the public domain in 1982!

I'll say, right now we're enjoying the novelty of a musical comic, I feel like this novelty wears off as we get further into it :D
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Steve Green

Basically it's a uniform for staff depending on the company, Butlins Holiday Camp had redcoats, Pontins (a different company) had blue coats, Warners had greencoats and in the fictional Maplin holiday camp in Hi-de-hi they were yellowcoats.

So not summer camps as much as family holiday camps, where they had chalets to stay in, the kids would be entertained and the parents would have variety style entertainment in the evening.

They're still around, but with cheap flights at one end and places like Center Parcs they're not as popular as they were.

Andy B

Quote from: Dandontdare on 26 March, 2018, 01:35:19 PM
Glad you're enjoying Robohunter, but I hated this story

Me too! Most of the songs were set to tunes of songs I didn't even know: they were weirdly old-fashioned to a 13 year old. Wonder why? Presumably it's not a copyright problem to just say something is set to a particular tune?

Dandontdare

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 26 March, 2018, 03:20:22 PMWe had similar things for margarine over here, but in the form of a product literally called "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!"

Oh yeah, we have that too, but I think that came in later: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYn-RC2aOQM

WhizzBang

Quote from: Dandontdare on 28 March, 2018, 01:21:24 PM

Oh yeah, we have that too, but I think that came in later: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYn-RC2aOQM

I thought that was going to be the David Baddiel routine on this with things like 'F*ck me! This is fish paste and I'll deck anyone who says otherwise!'

Dandontdare

:lol: ah yeah, wih I'd remembereds that one

SpaceSpinner2000

Big news coming up on Monday's show! But things might get a little weird with our feed this weekend. Hopefully it won't be a big deal.
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 01 April, 2018, 05:49:30 AM
Big news coming up on Monday's show!

Oh you tease you. You know we'll be listening anyway so why treat us this way!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling ninety-first episode Fox and Conrad take a break from reviewing weekly progs to reminisce on the whole of 2000 AD comics for the year 1982. It's a chance to reflect, review, and give out awards! Welcome to the 1982 Spinnies! At the end of every chronological year in our prog timeline we'll give out awards to the storylines and thrills we liked best over the last year. Stay tuned after this awards for important show updates! Also, feel free to visit our new podcast site at SpaceSpinner2000.com!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Gist of announcements:

• Conkers are Horse Chestnuts
  • New website
  • Instead of a month at a time we'll be covering 4 progs at a time, which basically means that now a year will take 13 episodes instead of 12.
  • We'll be having guest hosts come on for Specials and Annuals. If you're interested in being one contact me!

The Monarch

excellent episode as ever and thank god it wasn't a good news chums scenario although the changes are good news

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling ninety-second episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 297-300 of 2000AD, covering January of 1983. Join us as Judge Dredd fights the last invader, Rogue Trooper goes clubbing, and Harry 20 takes off!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Dandontdare

Oh Lord, are we up to the disco-Rogue cover? Can't wait hearing what you made of THAT one!

WhizzBang

Great stuff as always - thanks Conrad and Fox.

It hasn't been commented on as far as I can recall but I really like the colour effect that is applied to the artwork in your posts announcing each new show. Is it some clever effect from Photoshop or something that takes a lt of time on your part?

JayzusB.Christ

Eamonn Clarke put me onto this podcast, it's great stuff.  Your unrestrained glee at ultraviolent deaths is nearly up there with Pete's! Also got to love how every strip is introduced in a movie trailer voice.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 09 April, 2018, 09:08:37 PM
Eamonn Clarke put me onto this podcast, it's great stuff.  Your unrestrained glee at ultraviolent deaths is nearly up there with Pete's! Also got to love how every strip is introduced in a movie trailer voice.

Thanks! "In a world...where grownups read 35 year old comic books!"

Quote from: WhizzBang on 09 April, 2018, 08:02:01 PM
Great stuff as always - thanks Conrad and Fox.

It hasn't been commented on as far as I can recall but I really like the colour effect that is applied to the artwork in your posts announcing each new show. Is it some clever effect from Photoshop or something that takes a lt of time on your part?

Thanks! I do the initial photo editing in the old standby, MS Paint, then edit it using a photo editing app (I use the Prisma Photo Editor, but there are a bunch out there). Generally I use the Dallas filter, which I like because it smooths out the image (the images I snap from the progs are usually no more than 900x900 pixels, and they need to be 1400x1400 for iTunes) and brightens things up without getting too weird. It takes like 15 minutes, a lot of that is moving it between my computer to my phone and back, and it and social media stuff are what I do while I'm editing the show! (I know, I know, "you should focus more on editing there buddy"). I'm sure there are ways to do things better and more efficiently, but at this point I've done it for almost 90 episodes so it's almost second nature!