Main Menu

2000ad most stolen.

Started by Dunk!, 15 May, 2013, 02:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunk!

2 weeks ago my local WHSmiths suddenly appeared to stop stocking 2000ad, leaving me bereft of my Wednesday prog - there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth let me tell you.

Mystery solved this week - turns out that 2000ad is one of the top stolen magazines for WHSmiths Leamington Spa (just behind Radio Times) and therefore must now reside behind the counter to be asked for by name.

Apparently there is still an avid fan base for the prog in Leamington Spa (seen as an affluent area) they're just too cheap to pay for it.

This happening anywhere else?
"Trust we"

radiator

Sounds like a recipe for some free publicity to me. 2000ad should put out a 'furious' press release about all the thefts!

Recrewt

My local WHSmiths seem to tackle this problem by hiding 2000ad at the bottom behind every other publication out there.  I really enjoy having to bend down to everyone's crotch level when it is busy in there to find it!

Stops the thieves though - they can't find em!  :lol:

JOE SOAP

A Burdis should be installed in every shop.

Goaty

Colin YNWA

At the Libra... I mean Learning Centre I work we once took great heart in the fact that one of our plumbing books was so regularly stolen. At least it meant the lads and lasses on the course were reading the required text!

Grant Goggans

Somebody should definitely dispatch a judge to stand around that Smith's in Leamington Spa for a day protecting stocks of thrill-power.  Cameras and reporters should soon follow.

James Stacey

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 15 May, 2013, 04:12:05 PM
Somebody should definitely dispatch a judge to stand around that Smith's in Leamington Spa for a day protecting stocks of thrill-power.  Cameras and reporters should soon follow.
What a fantastic idea

Goaty

von Boom

Someone from Psi division should be there to scan likely perps.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: James Stacey on 15 May, 2013, 04:21:00 PM
Quote from: Grant Goggans on 15 May, 2013, 04:12:05 PM
What a fantastic idea

Hmm, I'll google maps the drive and see if it is feasible...

EDIT - its a 4 hour round trip up the M5.  Dave or John, are you close?

Is that Smiths open on a Sunday?

LorcanQ

the opposite happened to me. decided to start 2000ad, couldnt find it in my local comic shop (in Galway). Asked the manager and he said that for the whole time he has worked there, I'm the first person ever to ask for 2000ad. weird..

Proudhuff

Quote from: LorcanQ on 15 May, 2013, 08:11:56 PM
the opposite happened to me. decided to start 2000ad, couldnt find it in my local comic shop (in Galway). Asked the manager and he said that for the whole time he has worked there, I'm the first person ever to ask for 2000ad. weird..

They don't normally ask, they just steal it!
DDT did a job on me

Recrewt

Quote from: LorcanQ on 15 May, 2013, 08:11:56 PM

Speechless!  I'm assuming that wasn't his first day on the job!  ;)

Bat King

I asked when they moved it in my local WHS from behind the tills (where it had been put with reprints of Marvel & DC stuff due to thefts of 'mature comics' in general). They had moved it to the almost always un-manned Customer Service till. First person I asked had no idea what I was askling about, next person thought it was a novel.

Third person told me where to find it and said they'd moved them as they were 'hard to find'...

So visible at the tills was harder to find than behind an un-manned till??? Harder for me, a purchasing customer, but easier for the thief to steal once he knows where they are...

But given the 50% they take in cover price + charging for position... Subscribe people!!! More money to Tharg, you get a saving, you get a free gift and Subs give better customer service than WHS hands down. Win,win, win, win situation.

If you buy elsewhere... up to you. But seriously, WHSmith are ripping everyone off and giving rubbish customer service to us.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex