Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.I.K.

Quote from: milstar on 02 November, 2021, 10:34:20 PM
Could I safely take you never heard for alchemists?

I have most certainly heard of alchemists and while there's certainly some crossover in the witches' and alchemists' methods, they're not the same thing and the two words are not synonymous.

First recorded use of the word "alchemist" - 15th century.
First recorded use of the word "witch" - 9th century.

milstar

Quote from: M.I.K. on 02 November, 2021, 11:53:50 PM

I have most certainly heard of alchemists and while there's certainly some crossover in the witches' and alchemists' methods, they're not the same thing and the two words are not synonymous.

First recorded use of the word "alchemist" - 15th century.
First recorded use of the word "witch" - 9th century.

Ordinary, illiterate people, vox populi that is, saw alchemists as witches and warlocks. Alchemy I think started in 12th century, so basically anyone that tinkered with "uncanny" materials is seen as witch/warlock. I ofcourse, think, all supernatural stuff attributed to these people is crock of crap. Which is why it didn't bother me in Robin Hood. I am more interested in real people.
But when I look back at my earlier comment, I have to retract it and apologize for stating that were no "witches" then, that is, those who tampered with the occult. Such people definitely existed, but not as presented in Robin Hood.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I dunno man, complaining about Morgan Freeman being in a movie seems kinda screwy. Is no one gonna mention Costner not even attempting an midland's accent?

I remember reading somewhere that Rickman read the script and decided it was a comedy. Nothing could convince him otherwise and the director just went with it.
You may quote me on that.

milstar

Quote from: Mister Pops on 03 November, 2021, 12:19:48 AM
Is no one gonna mention Costner not even attempting an midland's accent?

I did.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Funt Solo

2001: A Space Odyssey pisses me off, as well - there were no black monoliths in the prehistoric veldt.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Tsk, tsk. The correct phrase is monoliths of colour.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

milstar

I would appreciate a movie with white Nelson Mandela. And not just any white Nelson Mandela, but albino white Nelson Mandela.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: milstar on 03 November, 2021, 08:50:30 AM
I would appreciate a movie with white Nelson Mandela. And not just any white Nelson Mandela, but albino white Nelson Mandela.

Are you pretending not to understand that Mandela 1) is not fictional, and 2) has a life-story that is inextricably linked to his colour, or are you actually that stupid?

There is literally nothing inherent in the character of, say, James Bond that would preclude his being played by a black actor — I mean, the back story including a public school education and high military rank would be mildly improbable thanks to institutional racism, and a realistic film about a black man in a nice suit driving an Aston Martin would consist of two hours of him getting pulled over by the police, but those would likely not be the least improbable things you'd see in an average James Bond movie.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

milstar

I am that stupid. Wait... There actually was a bloke named Nelson Mandela?
--------------

It's enough for me that Fleming was such a bloke of his times that he never envisioned Bond anything other than white, and male. Ofcourse, I don't exclude a movie with a completely original, non-white spy.

repoman

Quote from: milstar on 03 November, 2021, 09:39:45 AM
I am that stupid. Wait... There actually was a bloke named Nelson Mandela?

Nope, we all thought there was but he never really existed.  It's called The Mandela Effect.

Quote from: milstar on 03 November, 2021, 09:39:45 AM
I don't exclude a movie with a completely original, non-white spy.

The Art of War (2000) always felt like a black Bond 'em up.  I remember it being great fun to watch.  Probably needs a rewatch.

Hawkmumbler

SEVEN SAMURAI

Incredibly unrealistic, everyone knows bandits didn't exist in feudal Japan, can't believe Kurosawa time travelled and ripped off THE  MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, what a hack, 0/100.

milstar

Quote from: repoman on 03 November, 2021, 11:02:05 AM

Nope, we all thought there was but he never really existed.  It's called The Mandela Effect.

Touche.

Quote from: repoman on 03 November, 2021, 11:02:05 AM
The Art of War (2000) always felt like a black Bond 'em up.  I remember it being great fun to watch.  Probably needs a rewatch.

Nah...wasn't my cup of tea. It was solid idea, but poor execution. Still, it's miles better than any Sniper crap he did afterwards (including Blade 2 and Blade Trinity).

pictsy

I can't believe I am going to quibble this.  The Mandela Effect does not state that Nelson Mandela never existed.  It is the belief of Fiona Broome (over ten years after Mandela became President of South Africa) that her false memory of Nelson Mandela dying in prison during the 1980's isn't a false memory but proof that she has transferred into another reality. 

Although the term has moved away from it's original coinage to be more synonymous with False Memory, it's cranky and problematic origins make me want to vomit every time someone brings it up. 

The Legendary Shark

Perhaps we should call it The Fifth Young One Effect instead.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

paddykafka

There's definitely Broome for improvement on this topic.  :D