Main Menu

PS3/XBOX 360

Started by klute, 10 October, 2010, 05:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

Looks like I've solved my TV problem but it's stoopid, I found this on the Tech Radar website:

'2) The secret video reset
One of the most annoying aspects of the PS3 are its video settings. Take it up to the bedroom portable or round to a friend's house and there's a good chance that you won't be able to see anything on screen because your 'new' TV is running at a different resolution or using a different cable connection. And - because you can't see anything - you can't change it.

Until now. Shut down your PS3 then restart by pressing and holding the power button.This will reset your PS3 to its most basic 480p graphics mode so you'll be able to see enough to choose RGB SCART, component, HDMI or whatever from here.'

radiator

I bought a PS3 Slim the other week. Yes, I am indeed a greedy twat!

Frankly, I'd always slightly looked down my nose at the PS3, but while I still think the software library can't hold a candle to that of the 360 (and the joypad is in serious need of an overhaul), overall it's a really nice system. Really impressed with Blu-Ray playback (Kick-Ass being my first Blu-Ray purchase), and I'm also impressed with the ability to 'rent' movies via the PS Store - of course you can do this with the Xbox, but I would never do that because of a)increased likiehood of RROD and b)the Xbox is so loud it would distract me from the film! BBC iPlayer also works really well, too, and looks surprisingly good on the big screen.

Games-wise I bought Joe Danger straight away - it's a charming little game that I'd highly recommend to other PS3 owners - it's a bit like Trials HD meets Super Mario Bros. Having fond memories of playing the original on PS2 many years ago, I also managed to pick up God of War Collection and God of War III of eBay for a good price - £28 for the set. Currently half way through GoW II - great games but man, the first GoW is a swine - seriously frustrating in parts. Haven't played a game that tricky in a long time. On my girlfriend's insistence I also downloaded the PSone game Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey from the PS Store - which I had assumed would have dated horribly, but has actually aged very well indeed and remains very playable! Well worth the £3.99.

Very keen to get Uncharted 1 and 2, and possibly Gran Turismo 5 at some point. Also the PSone game Ape Escape - one of my all time favourites! But hey, there's only so many hours in the day!

Also, just spotted a review for this zombie shooter Dead Nation this morning - I am so buying this game!

http://uk.playstation.com/psn/games/detail/item228392/Dead-Nation%E2%84%A2/

My PSN is the same as my Xbox gamertag: Kissmammal - feel free to add me.

Professor Bear

A thing to remember about PS1 games is that they play just fine on PS3, so you can track down physical copies for about a quid rather than paying five times that for a downloadable version.  Some bright sparks have also cracked the PS3 OS, apparently, and homebrew emulators are just around the corner.

There are some great downloadable games for the PS3 and I actually stopped playing Black Ops to play Savage Moon instead, which is a fun tower defence RTS where you protect space miners from waves of insects.  It's a 3d sci-fi variation on the already-available for download Pixeljunk: Monsters, which is old school but a bit frustrating once it gets hard later in the game.  Pixeljunk: Shooter is really good fun, too, and Gunstar (Super)Heroes is essential.

radiator

QuoteA thing to remember about PS1 games is that they play just fine on PS3, so you can track down physical copies for about a quid rather than paying five times that for a downloadable version.

Yep, surprised they haven't really tried to communicate this function to the average consumer - I wasn't even aware of the PSone backwards compatibility until after I bought one!

Trouble is, some of the games I want like Ape Escape and Kula World are very rare and actually quite expensive to get the physical copies!

Keef Monkey

I'm pretty much the same radiator, got one not long ago and while I'll always get multi-platform releases on 360 and aren't a fan of the controller I'm looking forward to picking up some of the exclusives (the Uncharted games have been great). I have to admit I'm mainly using it as a blu-ray player, but it's a damn good one!

As far as the film rental goes, I spotted the lovefilm service is on there so as a customer I'm thinking that'll be a great way to catch the odd movie without waiting.

Something Fishy

I have both and like both but prefer my 360.

There's all sorts of reasons why people prefer both and i like having the best of both worlds but you can't go too far wrong with either.

Something Fishy

On the TV front.. ps3 has iplayer and 360 has sky player.

Rumour is that both will get 4OD.

I like the 360 media centre stuff myself, never use the ps3 for it as i just use the 360 that way.

Somone  mentioned pad.. I agree. Much prefer the 360 one but people seem to prefer the one they know best.

Pete Wells

Hey Radiator, just noticed this thread again. Seriously sir, you have to buy the Uncharted games, they're excellent.

I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed on my Xbox, but once that bugger is done, I'm gonna join PSN properly and start picking up some oldies... Can't wait to hear Abe say "Follow me!" again...

Keef Monkey

Aye, Uncharted is mint. The first game was a bit ropey in places I thought, but the good stuff is very good and the 2nd game is awesome. Apparently Mark Wahlberg is playing Drake in the movie, which is pants. Not because I have anything against Wahlberg (no really) but because Nathan Fillion is quite obviously the man for the job.

Devons Daddy

Nathan Fillion
can do no wrong for us. the uncharted games are good, played them on a mates PS3.

the kinect beats the Move, think 360 will come second in this round of the console war in the end. Nintendo thought out of the box, Sony Copied, MS did it better.

Live,Kinect,media Centre,Graphics, all the big sellers for me on the 360
Blu ray on the PS3
Wii on the price and the non gamers getting into fun level.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Something Fishy

Quote from: Devons Daddy on 27 November, 2010, 06:54:42 AM
Nathan Fillion
can do no wrong for us. the uncharted games are good, played them on a mates PS3.

the kinect beats the Move, think 360 will come second in this round of the console war in the end. Nintendo thought out of the box, Sony Copied, MS did it better.

Live,Kinect,media Centre,Graphics, all the big sellers for me on the 360
Blu ray on the PS3
Wii on the price and the non gamers getting into fun level.

I think you may be right.  Nearly a million more then PS3 in the US NPD suggests it is doing well.