Main Menu

Prog 2375 - err Bumper Issue ** New Readers start here.

Started by Colin YNWA, 23 March, 2024, 08:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

I mean I gues you could say the tag line is either the above, or one of:

Complete Rogue Trooper story insaide!

Epic Sci-fi thrills!

No real tag line this week... which feels weird. What is also weird is there are two examples of art from talents I really like not at all on top of their game.

First of those is in Dredd with R M Guero, whose work I really like seeming a bit... off. Nothing horrible just not as good as I'd expect. The story is very interesting, but is setting things up. Looking forward to seeing how Moon develops.

Full Tilt Boogie has another great if steadly paced episode. This one just keeps bubbling along really nicely.

Thistlebone has a brilliantly brutal ending you'd expect and that final panel might be as revealing a panel as we've had?

Indigo Prime
is so playfully superb. Its getting a meta as meta can be but in such a delightful way.

Rogue Trooper is my other artistic disappointment as I love Paul Marshall's art but this was far from his best work. Some panels has loose anatomy to my eyey and it just lacked his normal punch. Not headed by a colour job that just looked like the kinda early 90s colour work when folks were still trying to work out how to make the most of computer colouring. The story felt almost trite in covering well trodden ground as well.

Proteus Vex was just a brilliant return on the other hand.

Some good news on the returning thrills front too with Azimuth in Thrills of the future and the promise of more Thistlebone for the X-Mas Prog (I think one off by the sound?

We also all but it confirmed that Regened is gone for the foresable as someone asks after Joko in the letters and is told he's had to go back to Quaxxann.

What comes in next Prog I think its Aquila making a welcome (and I think final) return with Brink on its heals?

IndigoPrime

I guess that confirms Regened is over, then. Well, if nothing else we got Pandora Perfect (which I thought was superb and would love to see more of, as unlikely as that probably is now), Full Tilt Boogie, Dept K, and some other fun strips out of it. I wonder whether Mayflies is dead? It'd be a shame if that just fizzled.

GordonR

Thank goodness we're getting another Regened discussion, just about a week after the last one.

Richard

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Funt Solo

Tempted now to discuss Regened in every prog review thread for the next twenty-three years. I suppose we could've avoided this by having some kind of announcement or something which would have prompted a thread all of its own and quelled the rumor mill (to some extent).

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Quote from: Funt Solo on 24 March, 2024, 03:46:35 PMhaving some kind of announcement

Mind you, they could've made an announcement on a twelve meter high sign, in fluorescent lettering with a neon surround that flashes on and off every five seconds*, and I wouldn't have noticed because I'd stopped reading Regened in 2022.

*After Moore
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

GordonR

"Joko-Jargo died on the way back to his home planet."

The Monarch

its not quite the men in black pushing tharg into a white van tharg buggering off home because david bishop thought tharg was old hat now is it  :lol:

not yet reached glasgow yet but i really like the old school annualesque cover

So is aquilla back next prog? looking forward to that if it is

A.Cow

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 23 March, 2024, 08:21:22 PMFirst of those is in Dredd with R M Guero, whose work I really like seeming a bit... off. Nothing horrible just not as good as I'd expect.

I'm surprised at colourist Brusco's slip-up on page 6 with Hale's helmet.  Threw me for a minute, until I realised who this was supposed to be.

Jacqusie

Quote from: GordonR on 24 March, 2024, 06:43:24 PM"Joko-Jargo died on the way back to his home planet."

One can only hope, ey?

A DIY / Domesticated themed cover this week, Dredd looks like he's been doing a bit of painting the back drop and he's been using his big stick to stir the paint pot.

That funny looking fella at the bottom has been to the shops to get some knives and Rogue Trooper has a handy spanner or two hanging from his helmet, which is nice if his bike gets a puncture.

They all look like they are in some discomfort though, maybe Dredd's old enermy, Emma Roids is back to give him grief.

Doomlord66

Not the best of covers to entice new readers, is it?

Not the best image of JD and he looks awkward/uncomfortable? Shoulder pad and Eagle way too big.
Rogue Trooper, yes what are those things hanging from his helmet meant to be? Straps? but his chin strap is already done up, so why would the helmet need more straps if that's what they're supposed to be. The announcement of a complete story on the cover seems unnecessary. What is so great about this that it had to be on the cover? Wouldn't it have been better to say how many strips are in the comic?

Maybe as its for new readers, perhaps put the story name under the character circle pics?

The whole cover looks rushed or unfinished or not much thought gone into it.

Im very disappointed with this cover for a relaunch issue.

I dont normally feel the need to critise 2k and don't like doing so, but this cover....

M.I.K.

Thought has definitely gone into it, because it's a spot-on emulation of the kind of thing to be found on the front of 1980s annuals, (with cues from the 1985 one in particular), though whether or not it'll draw in new readers is open to question.

I like it, (in spite of Rogue's extraneous dangly bits).

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Doomlord66 on 25 March, 2024, 10:45:27 PMNot the best of covers to entice new readers, is it?

The announcement of a complete story on the cover seems unnecessary. What is so great about this that it had to be on the cover?

Maybe as its for new readers, perhaps put the story name under the character circle pics?

I like the cover. I suspect Rogue is highlighted because of noise about the upcoming film
Lock up your spoons!

Funt Solo

Quote from: M.I.K. on 25 March, 2024, 11:48:25 PMwith cues from the 1985 one in particular

That Thistlebone, with art not a mile away from McMahon's Slaine, is giving me the Slough Feg vibes.

I think that, rather than complain about the funny little wrenches hanging from Helm, we should complain if any subsequent artist doesn't include them. Because it's John McCrea. Nobody puts McCrea in the corner!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++