Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPMaybe

...realised I kinda misread your post DDD and of the people who *did* vote Dem I think you're right.
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

Raping a 13 year-old girl is not a molehill.

Hawkmumbler

Also...
1) Hillary was not responsible for Benghazi
2) Her emails where cleared of any wrong doings, it was a private account after all.
3) Trump has run a dozen companies into the ground and slimmed the profits into tax havens, imagine what he'll do with the whole US economy.

And yes, there's the fact he's a known sex offender.

COMMANDO FORCES

Thank God you don't make the laws. I just checked up on the rape claim on the Guardian website and it seems that allegation has been dropped.
Obviously there's no such thing as innocent till proven guilty here.

Hawkmumbler

No but theirs a lot of victim blaming, apparently, by the self same newspaper. Hardly impartial.

Professor Bear

His guilt or innocence are irrelevant, the point was that the accusation was publicly made and wasn't the fabrication of a liberal media conspiracy.

Although I do approve of this "innocent until proven guilty" ethos for unpopular political figures.

/awaits the next made-up Corbyn scandal

M.I.K.

While I wouldn't trust Mrs. Clinton as far as I could throw her, I doubt anyone'd even be able to get Mr. Trump off the ground. That molehill should be the size of Olympus effin' Mons.

Modern Panther

Poor Trump,picked on by those nasty journalist just because he called Mexican immigrants rapists, announcefd he would ban muslims from entering the country, named a man who supports "gay conversion therapy" as his running mate, boasts about not paying taxes , lies about  charity donations, says it okay to call a woman a slut for disageeing with him,mocked a disabled journalist, bases his net worth on how he "feels", openly lied about 9/11, lied about the iraq war,lied about campaign funding, threatened  to imprison  his opponent despite there being no charges against her, refuses intelligence briefings because he's 'smart', boasts about misuse  of bankruptcy laws, boasts about sexually assaulting women, boasts he could commit murder and still win, admires Putin, paid off his political opponents, supports nuclear proliferation, spent eight years spreading a rascist lie about Obama before lying and saying he didnt, says women should be imprisoned for having an abortion, puts far right extremist in positions  of power and spends more time retweeting nazis than is healthy.   Its a molehill, folks...This far right lobby group says so.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Modern Panther
link=topic=28209.msg941271#msg941271
date=1483402726

Poor Trump,picked on by those nasty
journalist just because he called Mexican
immigrants rapists, announcefd he would ban
muslims from entering the country, named a
man who supports "gay conversion therapy"
as his running mate, boasts about not paying
taxes , lies about charity donations, says it
okay to call a woman a slut for disageeing
with him,mocked a disabled journalist, bases
his net worth on how he "feels", openly lied
about 9/11, lied about the iraq war,lied about
campaign funding, threatened to imprison his
opponent despite there being no charges
against her, refuses intelligence briefings
because he's 'smart', boasts about misuse of
bankruptcy laws, boasts about sexually
assaulting women, boasts he could commit
murder and still win, admires Putin, paid off
his political opponents, supports nuclear
proliferation, spent eight years spreading a
rascist lie about Obama before lying and
saying he didnt, says women should be
imprisoned for having an abortion, puts far
right extremist in positions of power and
spends more time retweeting nazis than is
healthy. Its a molehill, folks...This far right
lobby group says so.

And yet he's been presented to the American people as one of a very few individuals worthy of high office. The Powers That Shouldn't Be think this kind of man (and that kind of woman), having ostensibly won a national popularity contest, is perfectly adequate to rule ordinary Americans.

I find it rather difficult to believe that, out of 325 million Americans, these two were the best they could find. Personally, I wouldn't want either of them as a friend or employer and certainly not as a ruler. Unfortunately, US citizens now have no choice other than to accept this individual as their president whether they voted for him or not, whether they agree with him or not, whether they trust him or not.

Under the current "democratic" system (not just in the US), if TPTSB present a Dr Crippen and a Gary Ridgway as the only two candidates for the presidency, then one of those two must be voted for. This is not democracy, this is like-it-or-lump-itism (like it or Trump it?).

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Either way up, don't you think that clearly pro-Trump cartoon is inaccurate as a metaphor? Or do you really see Trump's list of scandals as trifling and insignificant?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Heck, no.

I don't think either Trump or Clinton are worthy of the presidency. Hell, I wouldn't even leave them in charge of my dog, let alone a nuclear superpower.

To my eye, that cartoon is more a comment on media bias than an endorsement of Trump.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Modern Panther

The Americans for Limited Government are keen on Trump as a president because they don't want[/i ] a government.  Trump will likely be so damaging to the very nature of representative democracy that more and more people will happily accept that government should have a smaller and smaller role, opening the way for big companies to have greater control and less responsibilities. 

Representative democracy requires an informed electorate.  in increasing number, people no longer want to be informed - they want to be reassured that their gut feeling of fear of a changing world is entirely justified and that there are simplistic answers to complex questions.

The Legendary Shark

"in increasing number, people no longer want to be informed - they want to be reassured that their gut feeling of fear of a changing world is entirely justified and that there are simplistic answers to complex questions."

I agree with this entirely - it's the attitude peddled by governments everywhere to justify their existence; "don't you worry yourselves about all this complicated, boring, changing stuff - we'll sort it all out for you, just enjoy X-Factor and leave all the worrying to us."

As a slight aside, I watched Labyrinth for the very first time the other day (glad it only cost me 50p from a charity shop because it's a bit "meh") and liked Bowie/the Goblin King's plea for power - "let me rule you and I'll do as you say." That's precisely what every government spouts.

"...opening the way for big companies to have greater control and less responsibilities." I don't agree with this at all. Big companies only get greater control and fewer responsibilities through working hand-in-glove with governments. Take away a company's government protection, open up the marketplace to true competition and society will thrive.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 03 January, 2017, 01:55:54 PM
Take away a company's government protection, open up the marketplace to true competition and society will thrive.

This? Again? All available evidence suggest you are entirely wrong about this. All businesses are, by fundamental inclination, wannabe monopolists and the platonic ideal of any company with shareholders is one that makes no product, provides no services, but finds a way to directly extract exactly the amount money from everyone's bank accounts that they have enough left to not starve. That is maximising shareholder value at its logical conclusion.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.