Main Menu

Christmas Trees in November

Started by flip-r mk2, 29 November, 2009, 12:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip-r mk2

I was coming home from work at the back of eight tonight and seen the first trees up, got home ready  to tell my wife about how it and why would anybody have them up so bloody early, only to find out she's had a brainfart and put ours up.

filip   
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

COMMANDO FORCES

Oh no your wife is one of them, take it down and get her some help before it's too late ;)

Cthulouis

Must admit, getting the advent calendar stuff sorted means that my head is now geared up to think that Christmas is on the 5th (my date to post stuff). As such, most of my shopping is now done, as is most of the wrapping. Not put the tree up yet, but these presents are going to need to go somewhere soon.

Trout

Ha! Nice one, Flip.

We're planning to get the decorations up on the 12th or 13th. Too early would seem daft.

Mind you, I've almost finished the Christmas shopping. :-)

- Trout

Colin YNWA

I wonder how kids cope with X-Mas these days. I remember (vaguely) that waiting for X-Mas when I was young was torture it took aggggggeeeeeeeeessssssss. These days its starts in September. So either little's are incredibly patient these days, which I doubt, or its takes a hellish long time to come.

Mind poor parents will cope for that no doubt... gulp.

Mattofthespurs

Ours goes up on the first of December, the first day of my Son's advent calender.
In terms of dealing with the 25 day wait he's fine with it. He's only 5 but he loves the build up to Christmas.
Before my Son came along we wouldn't put any decorations up before the 15th or so and I always took them down on the day before I went back to work (which was usually 2 or 3 days after Xmas.)
Now I take them down on the 2nd of January.

SmallBlueThing

I've just been told that ours go up today! Mind you, I may just be dreaming, because I've only been up half an hour and already both my boys have eaten their breakfast, are "doing exercises", my eldest is running around the house shouting "that salmon gave me superpowers!" and my wife has COMPLIMENTED me on something. So clearly, something is not right.

SBT

Dandontdare

I spotted my first one over a week ago. Early December is too early, anytime in November is just plain WRONG. I reckon a couple of weeks max.

I, Cosh

Christmas tree and decorations should not be put up until 24th December. Preferably after any children are in bed. That's how it was done in our house, so that's clearly how everyone should do it.
We never really die.

Dark Jimbo

Bloody miserable gits, the lot of you. Should be 1st December - to allow for the absolute maximum festive celebrations.
@jamesfeistdraws

mogzilla

next saturday! our four year old would have had it up in october

Dr Feeley Good

Ours has just gone up ! my wife says she won't get time to do it later !!!!!!!!!

Peter Wolf

The thing that gets me about all this or particularly where i live is that you go into town and there are hardly any decorations hanging up and there is never any Xmas trees up anywhere in public places.What decorations that the council put up using taxpayers cash are just bad taste junk.

The shops that all want your cash dont make any effort to create any Xmas spirit or magic either.

In short where i live Xmas is just a grey joyless celebration of consumerism .You go into town and its just like any other time.Same shit- different day.

Very sad.

When you compare this non event in the UK to european countries there is a world of difference.

Fortunately the church across the road sticks a tree up in the garden so that helps but it hasnt gone up yet and it usually goes up a couple of weeks before Xmas which is about right because i dont see any point in extending the festive season by sticking decorations up too early because i prefer to stick to the traditional dates myself.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Mark Taylor

My birthday is in the 13th of December and it annoys me when Christmas trees and decorations go up before then. Obviously that's purely a personal / self-centered reaction but I stand by it nonethess.

COMMANDO FORCES

I'll be putting ours up on the night of the 16th or 17th (depends how long the chat room goes on for on the 16th). I wait till all are in bed and then proceed so that when Sam and the good lady come down in the morning the house is transformed into Santas grotto.
I normally transfer all the equipment into the consevatory earlier in the day so as not to disturb everyone in the wee hours.