Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edgeworthy

Quote from: M.I.K. on 16 November, 2023, 10:46:03 AMHe had absolutely sod all to do with it, aside from serving as the inspiration for multiple elements of its look and storyline, right down to that logo font.
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 16 November, 2023, 11:10:32 AMPretty sure I read that Stranger Things grew out of a rejected pitch the Duffer brothers made for IT.

The series has always been very blatant about its influences - It, Aliens, NoES etc - but the first series is especially King-tastic.
Its not impossible that he had something to do with it. And simply doesn't remember?

Apparently he was so out of his head on mind altering substances that he didn't even realise he had written Cujo until his publisher told him about it!

Richard

Quoteafter Napoleon returns from exile, the Bourbon King is back in power but again with no context or introduction. Just some corpulent geezer scoffing breakfast being addressed as 'Your Majesty'. Who? How? When? Never explained.
I've not seen it yet, but assuming it was clear that Napoleon had been in exile, wouldn't that be sufficient explanation for why there's a king again? What more would you need to know?

The Legendary Shark

Asteroid City. One of those off-the-wall films stuffed with talent and well worth a watch.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Marbles

Saw How To Have Sex. Thought it was very good, but pretty disturbing too (as the father of two teenage girls).
Remember - dry hair is for squids

The Legendary Shark

The Creator. Pretty cool sci-fi about a future war with AI.

I also enjoyed The Killer and Rumble Through the Dark.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tiplodocus

Quote from: I, Cosh on 15 November, 2023, 12:34:29 AMHang on. Are we saying that Carrie and The Running Man aren't great films now?!

Running Man? More like Running SHITE.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Hawkmumbler

RUNNING MAN is a lot of fun if you consider it an ideal example of 'Straight Camp'.

Which it is...though I'd dubious on the 'straight' aspect of his. Lotta spandex coated buns in that one.

Colin YNWA

Well just watch Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny and...well its quite long isn't it... and does leave you with the question how can something with so many action set pieces be dull for such a chunk of its time.

The reason it is, the set pieces are so ott that I actually stopped caring as there was no real sense of tension, at times it was a bit silly. Suspension of belief was stretched just too far!

The overall story was...okay... it just drifted a bit and at times it was hard to roll with how daft some stuff was, but well... it was better than Kingdom of the Crystal Sh*te but that's such a low bench mark... it was just so okay... I tried not to get my hopes up. Failed as it started and so had my hoped dashed on the rocks...

Hawkmumbler

GODZILLA MINUS ONE

Exhilarating, a real victory lap for the OG (Original Gojira) to celebrate the dawn of it's 7th decade.
One for the period enthusiasts or for the sick freaks like me who ever asked "What if Jaws but with a big lizard".

Tiplodocus

NAPOLEON is a bit of a long PowerPoint summary of old Boney's rise and fall. The best thing in it is Vanessa Kirby's Josephine despite it having some epic battles. Phoenix doesn't have much to work with so I don't blame him. For me, another disappointment from Scott.

I'm not going to be the sort of person that bangs on about historical accuracy (it is a film not a documentary after all and it makes this clear from the very staged nature of the opening execution of Marie Antoinette) BUT... Rupert Everett didn't even have a traffic cone on his head. Do *some* research, Ridley.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Marbles

Saw Poor Things by Greek director Yorgos Lanthimos (The Favourite, The Lobster).
Completely nuts film with Emma Stone, Willem Defoe & Mark Ruffalo. I absolutely loved it but perhaps not for everyone.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Jim_Campbell

Squeezed in a few new movies alongside our more-or-less annual LotR re-watch.

A Haunting in Venice proved to be a return to form for Branagh's Poirot after the dismal Death on the Nile. A splendidly overwrought slice of gothic nonsense which m'lovely wife and I both thoroughly enjoyed.

Finally got around to Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny and was very entertained. I don't hate Crystal Skull as much as most, but it comfortably cleared that low bar and, for me, it was far more enjoyable than Temple of Doom (which we attempted to watch this time last year and abandoned before we even got to the properly racist stuff).

So... pretty comfortably my third favourite Indy film of the franchise, which was a very pleasant surprise. No idea what all the hate was about!

Also, it turns out I've never seen The Muppet Christmas Carol, so we decided to rectify that. Not much to say on that score, other than it's wonderful... but I imagine you all knew that already.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richard

Just saw One Life with Anthony Hopkins, and people were crying. Definitely worth a watch!

The Legendary Shark

Leave the World Behind. This is one weird-ass film about a cyber(something), racism, and deer. Boasting Barak and Michelle Obama as executive producers also seems a bit weird. Predictive programming? A warning? Just a weird-ass film? Who knows. (Better download it, though, if you want to watch it while the global communications network dies and we all find ourselves up to our ears in cervine shenanigans...)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Spiderman: Far from Home

Watched with some friends and with the aid of 'ahem' nondescript substances, which is probably the ideal way to experience it.
Absolute pap (but you already knew that, right?) but it is admittedly fun being in a room with people who are heavily invested in that sort of thing and enthused for the offerings of memberberries.

The Boy and the Heron

Miyazaki plying his trade for the final time...or so he says, mans retired half a dozen times at this point, I expect he has at least one more tale up his sleeve.
It's fun! Absolutely by no means top tier Ghibli and more than a little bit complacent, heavily banking on echoes of recognizable imagery from prior works, but it has charm to spare and looks truly loooovely.