Main Menu

Prog 1798: Mecha Death!

Started by vzzbux, 25 August, 2012, 09:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Cheers Dark J,
I took that to mean a caretaker sort of thing, didn't realise she was getting the full chest eagle.

In a similar mode anyone know who's in the Gang of Five now?
DDT did a job on me

Steve Green

Quote from: Proudhuff on 27 August, 2012, 03:33:47 PM
A nicely grubby Dredd, as Dark Jimbo says: it feels like the city is on its knees,

As was Lenny Zero...

Mikey

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 25 August, 2012, 04:22:21 PM
Prog firing on all cylinders this week. Every story a pleasure, nothing a chore, but it's Dredd that deserves the special mention. Finally, finally, finally we have the sort of post-DoC story I was waiting for - the city actually feels (and looks!) like it's been brought to it's knees; it feels like a place where 350 million people died and the survivors are living in the dust and ashes of their bones. Dredd looks like he's been pulling 36-hour shifts, we get Hershey, McTighe and some cracking character dialogue all round wrapped up in a nifty little noir thriller. Extra oil rations for Messrs Williams and Campbell.

Yu huh. That's some brilliant art on Dredd right there - but don't forget the Blythe droid!

As the Dark One says, everything on top form. Next amongst equals are Ichabod and 3rillers this week, but still loving Aquila and Lenny Zero.

M
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

James Stacey

Well we know where the next batch of cadets will be coming from now. Workforce cut to the bone now loads out on maternity.

JamesC

Nice exciting cover!

Dredd was really good this week - I quite like these 'Who shot JR?' type stories. I do get a little frustrated with the other senior Judges though. When will will they learn that the easiest thing to do is just to listen to Dredd?

3rillers - Really enjoyed this again. It's fast paced and the artwork is really lovely. It's very clearly told too.

Aquila - Is still great but this fight with the other gladiator bloke feels like it's gone on a bit now so I'm glad Aquila has gone off to chop someone else up next week. I'm really looking forward to the collected edition of this.

Ichabod is no longer being read - I've said why I don't like it in previous threads.

Lenny Zero is no longer being read either. I think this story would fit better in the Megazine.

The Prodigal

Quote from: Banners on 26 August, 2012, 07:49:29 PM
Hmmm... as much as I loved the 'sex' panel in last week's Lenny Zero, this week I think that the one panel in particular goes a bit too far.

Have just read it and can't regard that particular scene as anything other than gratuitous and self indulgent.

That kind of sexual encounter being depicted  makes me feel like I'm reading a lads magazine with scenes being played for pure sex factor and lad giggles.

Rest of the prog looks great.

a chosen rider

Quote from: JamesC on 29 August, 2012, 10:08:47 AMDredd was really good this week - I quite like these 'Who shot JR?' type stories. I do get a little frustrated with the other senior Judges though. When will will they learn that the easiest thing to do is just to listen to Dredd?

I just like to imagine that for every time we see Dredd being proved incontrovertibly right, there are half a dozen other occasions when he's in there ranting to the senior Judges about how allowing ten minute lunch breaks will be the downfall of the Justice System.  So they're always all, "Oh, Grud, here comes Dredd with the dire warnings again..."
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: JamesC on 29 August, 2012, 10:08:47 AM
I do get a little frustrated with the other senior Judges though. When will will they learn that the easiest thing to do is just to listen to Dredd?

Well if Chaos Day didn't teach 'em, nothing ever will.
@jamesfeistdraws

Mikey

Quote from: The Prodigal on 29 August, 2012, 10:30:21 AM
Have just read it and can't regard that particular scene as anything other than gratuitous and self indulgent.

That kind of sexual encounter being depicted  makes me feel like I'm reading a lads magazine with scenes being played for pure sex factor and lad giggles.

I know what you mean - the panel could have just been Lenny's reaction to what he saw. It did make me raise an eyebrow (and that's all, I swear), though the Judges were gettin jiggy last week all over the place so it's not out of context if you ask me.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Mikey on 29 August, 2012, 01:24:43 PM
Quote from: The Prodigal on 29 August, 2012, 10:30:21 AM

I know what you mean - the panel could have just been Lenny's reaction to what he saw. It did make me raise an eyebrow (and that's all, I swear), though the Judges were gettin jiggy last week all over the place so it's not out of context if you ask me.

M.

I didn't think it too many out of place, given how hard line Kramer(?) was about with others, she turns out to be more so, as it were
DDT did a job on me

vzzbux

Thing is with Kramer, why did Lenny record her. Blackmail or trashing her career wouldn't wash as all the judges were under the influence of an agent. Also with the Judges at such low numbers I cant see them expelling the lot anyway.

With Hershey, with recent past events she would have sided with Dredd in an instant but then we wouldn't have a story arc.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

a chosen rider

Judge Dredd - Fantastic take on Dredd, both the writing and the gorgeous art.  Love that panel of the fallen Statue of Judgement, and the one of the next page of the Judge with his injured partner.  Isn't the innocence drug pretty much what Morton Judd wanted to do?  History repeating...  This is an intriguing start, although I guess it's only a two parter what with 1800 being a jump-on prog.  Feels like there's enough material for longer, but short and sweet is good too.

Tharg's Thrillers - Continues to look great, but it zipped by fast and it doesn't seem like too much happened in this part.  I'll be interested to see how it wraps up next week.

Aquila - Any panel with fire in this strip is always a very pretty panel indeed.  In fact, so are the other panels.  Lovely art, beautiful colouring.  I'm not greatly invested in Aquila's quest, but I am enjoying the ride.

Ichabod Azrael - Lovely pretty atmospheric sea monster action, and a very unexpected final page.  Good stuff!

Lenny Zero - Still looking great; for some inexplicable reason, I particularly like that panel with the crates.  And still an entertaining read, though I have to agree that the videotaping panel leaves a bit of a bad taste.  Dwelling on it so explicitly only started me considering more in-depth the fact that it's very much non-consensual on all sides, which gets more icky the more I think about it and rather jars with the overall tone of happy fun heist hijinks.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

jamesedwards

Yeah. What happens in Lenny Zero is basically a drug rape by proxy to get back at his ex-girlfriend (who he will then hilariously slut shame, blackmail, get fired or masturbate to, one imagines). Staggeringly fucked up. I think that's me done with Andy Diggle now, and quite possibly 2000ad as a whole for publishing it. Cheap, nasty and triggering.

SmallBlueThing

Ive not been commenting on the prog lately because ive been enjoying nothing in it whatsoever, and have been waiting patiently for the changes in 1800. But i had to pop back this week and say that 'innocent' is the best dredd we've had in weeks (months?) and i wish it was like this all the time. I was going to say i didnt like the art, after a brief flick this morning, but on actually reading the thing i find it's beautifully moody and more importantly flows perfectly and is entirely legible- which is a bit of a change from things of late in the prog.

Norwichmass was also a good one this week, and i really like jon davis-hunt's work. Am i the only one who thinks he'd be a good fit for 'kingdom' if we've lost richard elson to the americans?

The rest of the prog continues to do nothing for me at all, and in the case of 'that panel' in lenny zero- not why i buy the prog, and one of tharg's periodic missteps. Mind you, i find the art on this patchy and unfinished-looking at best so i dont reait usually.

SBT

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: jamesedwards on 29 August, 2012, 10:49:12 PM
Staggeringly fucked up. I think that's me done with Andy Diggle now, and quite possibly 2000ad as a whole for publishing it. Cheap, nasty and triggering.

I find this a truly baffling overreaction.

@jamesfeistdraws