Main Menu

Prog 1897 : BOW, MEGA-CITY ONE -- BEFORE THE LAWLORDS!

Started by Buttonman, 30 August, 2014, 12:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Longest tag line in a while!

Nice cover from the always reliable Alex Roland - I think he's trying to give the Lawlord an even bigger chin than Dredd!

Enjoying the Dredd but wonder if it's going to resolve by Prog 1900? If so a lot of set up for a quick resolution. I did think that [spoiler]the guns in space that can target individuals was very reminiscent of Captain America : The Winter Soldier [/spoiler]- what came first off the ideas board?

I'm not convinced by the traitorous actions of the old Earth space lady = turnaround coming, wait and see! Not read the rest yet - sue me!

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

Darren Stephens

Quote from: Buttonman on 30 August, 2014, 12:59:51 PM
Not read the rest yet - sue me!

Expect to hear from my lawyers in due course.....

No prog in Stephens plaza today. Love that cover, though. Alex work always feels so damned EPIC! ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Frank

I did think that [spoiler]the guns in space that can target individuals was very reminiscent of Captain America : The Winter Soldier [/spoiler]- what came first off the ideas board?

Val Kilmer beat them both to it. Cheers for putting up that fantastic Alex Ronald cover, eamonn. Everything he does is a contender for Pete's end of year poll.

Buttonman

I liked Val's line 'This is not good' - seemed to sum it up well!

ZenArcade

Alex Ronald will be 1st, 2nd and 3rd the way things are going! Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

ZenArcade

Nearly forgot my manners: eamonn, thanks as ever for putting the cover up. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

James Stacey

Quote from: sauchie post office on 30 August, 2014, 04:42:13 PM
I did think that [spoiler]the guns in space that can target individuals was very reminiscent of Captain America : The Winter Soldier [/spoiler]- what came first off the ideas board?

Val Kilmer beat them both to it. Cheers for putting up that fantastic Alex Ronald cover, eamonn. Everything he does is a contender for Pete's end of year poll.
Dredd will defeat the lawlords with popcorn

Chris Tresson

Dredd: Good stuff, keep it comin'.

Aquila: Building towards a nice finale!

Brass Sun: I honestly thought it would have been done by now, this is more dragged out than RuPaul!

Black Shuck: ... Completely lost me.

Jaegir: [spoiler]Felt a bit slower this week until I got to the final page and bam! Still holding my interest![/spoiler]

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Chris Tresson on 31 August, 2014, 10:46:56 PM
Brass Sun: I honestly thought it would have been done by now, this is more dragged out than RuPaul!

:lol:
@jamesfeistdraws

Bolt-01

Don't often feel the need to post in a prog review these days, but this weeks prog was an absolute corker from start to end. I'm loving everything right now. Though I think my fave apart from Dredd this week was Aquila- This series is just rocking.

Thanks Tharg.

Colin YNWA

Where were we? Where are we now...Arh in much the same position. We're in one of those cruise patterns when the Prog has a solid set of stories and week on week there's not much to say. Its all pretty good. Not astonishing but pretty good. A few ebbs and flows. Aquila is on the rise as Jaegir is on a dip. Dredd kicked in again enjoyed this a lot and Black Shuck looked superb and is really coming together well.

Kurt Vonnegut is back in Brass Sun and so this great episode of the series gets my nod for Thrill of the Week.

judgerufian

Have to say Black Shuck stepped up a gear this week with some fine action and also the reveal that he has been, shall we say, transformed....its come at just the right time for this strip to shock it back to life.

Apart from that, we have a cliffhanger ending for Dredd, good to see him rush into action like an 80's movie hero this week, Aquila still firing on all cylinders on story and art, Brass Sun picked up a bit too this week and Jaegir continues to shine.

Also love a speech bubble on the cover, well done Tharg!

Frank

Was the furry thing in Black Shuck really a revelation - clue's in the title. The awkward way the story has been portioned out and the fact I've never been given any reason to hate/love the characters or care what they're up to means this story is an almost complete miss for me. Not awful, just the negligible shrug of a Universal Soldier, where I know I won't remember a single thing that happened by the time the next series arrives.

Rennie says he's always hated writing fight scenes, and having Ukko John-Motson this week's tussle then cutting to the mess of body parts and spattered plasma was a droll way of approaching Aquila's hack and slashery in a novel way. I agree with Colin that this week's Jaegir was an unnecessary lull in the narrative, but the art - particularly O'Grady's deft colouring - saved the show.

O'Grady knows exactly when to de-saturate the colours to aid the visual and narrative flow of the page, as well as when an image needs a little subtle scumbling to add depth, or when a strong composition can stand on its own merits. Nothing here hits the incredible heights of O'Grady's use of bold primary colours on the finale of series one, but it's still great stuff. Kudos to Gary Caldwell's unfussy but satisfying solid colours on Cascade too.