Main Menu

Doctor Who Series 11 Discussion

Started by Andy Lambert, 07 October, 2018, 08:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Lambert

Let's have your thoughts and chat on the latest episodes then....

The Monarch

It was pretty darn good wish i had more constructive stuff tp say but i don't sorry

Dark Jimbo

Haven't seen an episode since Capaldi's first series, but I really liked that on the whole, despite my scepticism. It didn't really 'matter' that the Doctor was a woman - it was still very much the Doctor, in every way that mattered.

Lots of lovely hark backs to the old series-style of doing things - a reasonably high body count that keeps stakes raised (no glib RTD-style 'Everybody lives!' nonsense); the accidental bringing along of companions, a very old-school end credit sequence. Bit dissapointed that the Screwdriver came back though, it felt for a moment like they were about to write it out at last.

Only really watched out of idle curiosity, but... I think I'm on board for the whole series.
@jamesfeistdraws

Andy Lambert

Suitably enjoyable start to a new era - not perfect, but it had a lot to juggle with with all the new ingredients, but there's certainly a lot of promise there.
Jodie IS the Doctor - she absolutely felt like that's our Time Lord we've always known. Okay, she was perhaps a little  manic, but cut her some slack, like all actors playing the Doctor, they usually take a few stories to find their feet. I honestly think shell be just fine. The regulars were engaging enough and I'm looking forward to seeing how they settle in.
Pretty impressed by the guest cast for the coming episodes. Never would've imagined seeing Chris Noth in Doctor Who..!

Yeah, thumbs up from me - totally confident in Jodie and looking forward to what's ahead.

Andy Lambert

Kudos on the new style of incidental music and superb special effects! 👍👍👍

JamesC

Thought it was great, really enjoyed it.

Colin YNWA

It was solid with added Sheffield.

Pretty typical of first stories for new Doctors they tend to be easier stories to allow room for characters to be introduced. And therefore the fact that the characters where decent is pretty good. We all need time to settle in to all the new stuff but that was a fine start.

Glad to be back on board.

DrRocka

Loved it, great fun, and Jodie absolutely nailed it!
Never ever bloody anything ever

Taryn Tailz

Thoughts on tonight's Doctor Who (Spoiler warning):

The new theme tune is absolutely brilliant. I think Delia Derbyshire would have approved of it, and she didn't approve of most of them.

Several of the plot beats were very clearly telegraphed - such as Grace's death and Karl being the focus of the threat - but that's not necessarily a problem for an opening episode. The plot is generally subsidiary to the character work in a first episode, and that was all very well handled. There were plenty of signs of promise for the series going forward, though I remain somewhat hesitant regarding Chris Chibnall being the man in charge. Still, I'm optimistic at the moment.

Jodie Whittaker's performance was extremely assured and displayed nothing which would led me to believe she will be anything other than a huge success in the role. The Doctor's change of gender was generally underplayed, and quite rightly in my opinion. If you can change your body then it stands to reason that changing genders would be no big deal.

Some of the press reports have reported the 13th Doctor as being dark and brooding in her portrayal. There was nothing like that on display here, though you can never judge a Doctor based on their regeneration story; if that were the case we'd all still think of Sylvester McCoy as having been a prat-falling buffoon.

It's about time the Doctor bought a new outfit from a charity shop; makes a change from stealing them from hospitals at any rate. Strangely, though, I thought she really suited Peter Capaldi's outfit, and could have seen her wearing that had it not already been established as the Twelfth Doctor's outfit. I did really enjoy the almost Colin Baker-era reaction of the companion to her new outfit - You're not wearing that.

Mattofthespurs

Brillaint. Absolutely top class. Loved it. Accepted Jodie as the Doctor inside a minute.

Really, really good.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Taryn Tailz on 07 October, 2018, 08:43:25 PM

The new theme tune is absolutely brilliant.

Not wrong there. Took me back. First class.

abelardsnazz

I thought it was a great opener, Jodie was brilliant with the right level of eccentricity, humour and confusion for a new Doctor, plus there was plenty of pathos and Chris Chibnall clearly isn't afraid of not shying away from death. Looking forward to the rest of the series very much on the basis of this episode.

Eamonn Clarke

Loved it.
It's a Whovian thing to look for little nods back to last Doctors and I liked the harking back to Patrick Troughton's lines about the memories of his family in Tomb of the Cybermen.

Colin YNWA

As folks have said the music is uniformly GREAT. The new theme, when we finally got there is classic in the extreme AND no more Murray Gold one of the consisitantly bad things even when the previous stuff was dead good. Though my wife did comment that the incident music was straight from 'Who want to be a Millionaire'... which did rather break the spell a little!

Richard

Am I the only one who thought it was crap? The Dr can go anywhere in the whole of time and space, and her first adventure is in England in the present day? That's bollocks!

Then in the end credits (I like the new music) there's a long list of actors almost none of whom I've ever heard of. They used to have loads of famous actors, now it's Lee Mack and Art Malik and the rest are a bunch of children. Has their budget been cut?

Jodie W was good though. Like watching David Tennant again.