Main Menu

Doctor Who Series 11 Discussion

Started by Andy Lambert, 07 October, 2018, 08:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

For all intensive purposes Trout is correct: this pacific form appears in literally every single line of TV dialogue, no different than alot of other modern speech, and this phenomena has fewer affects on comprehension than most

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

IndigoPrime

On the body count, Mrs IP did note that The Doctor essentially let the baddie go, knowing he's murdered at least one person and kidnapped another (who is still alive, in stasis). Will that be followed up? (The suggestion is everything this series is standalone.)

sheridan

Quote from: Andy Lambert on 07 October, 2018, 08:27:59 PM
Okay, she was perhaps a little  manic, but cut her some slack, like all actors playing the Doctor, they usually take a few stories to find their feet. I honestly think shell be just fine.

Agreed - I'm hoping the manic part is going to calm down, as is usual with the 'recently regenerated' episodes, going right back to Worzel Gummidge (sorry, mind failing me, and I'm young enough to know the actor primarily through his later role).

Pertwee - got there just before pressing 'post'.

sheridan

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 08 October, 2018, 12:18:08 AM
Quote from: Richard on 07 October, 2018, 09:04:50 PM
... there's a long list of actors almost none of whom I've ever heard of...

Does one need recognizable actors to make something good?  (Rhetorical: I already know the answer.)

Yep - I don't even think of Doctor Who as being a show that has long lists of previously-known celebs.  There's a little bit of before-they-were-famous face-spotting in original run episodes, but other than that it's only really a recent christmas special think to have.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 October, 2018, 11:28:37 AM
For all intensive purposes Trout is correct: this pacific form appears in literally every single line of TV dialogue, no different than alot of other modern speech, and this phenomena has fewer affects on comprehension then most

Sorry, I couldn't let it lie
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

Fungus

Quote from: Mister Pops on 09 October, 2018, 01:24:52 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 09 October, 2018, 11:28:37 AM
For all intensive purposes Trout is correct: this pacific form appears in literally every single line of TV dialogue, no different than alot of other modern speech, and this phenomena has fewer affects on comprehension then most

Sorry, I couldn't let it lie

Bravo.

Bolt-01

Huffster- If I'm correct then the crane bits were all from an actual place just north of Sheffield. I'm sure I've seen it whilst on the rout to Thought Bubble, where there are just loads of Cranes standing around...

Colin? Can you confirm?

sheridan

Quote from: GordonR on 08 October, 2018, 08:34:54 AM
That was very entertaining.

Especially if you imagined ABCwarBOT's peeved little face as he sat there watching it with his pre-prepared checklist of things to complain about, desperately sucking on his weak lemon drink every time a woman or POC appeared on screen.

I'm going to have to try to remember the bit about squeaky-voiced helium-inhalers (doesn't apply to husky-voiced women, of course).

sheridan

Quote from: Taryn Tailz on 08 October, 2018, 12:45:01 PM
Sorry, but this is just patent nonsense. As I said in my first post on this thread, one of the things I really liked about this episode was how few mentions were made of the fact that the Doctor had changed genders, making for a clear signifier that this wasn't a big deal.

Quoted for truth - this is the 21st century, not the 19th!

sheridan

Quote from: JamesC on 08 October, 2018, 12:50:55 PM
I can honestly say the only bit that annoyed me was when The Doctor said 'would of' (one of my mum's pet hates so it's always really noticeable to me).

That was the low point of the episode for me!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 09 October, 2018, 01:58:21 PM
Huffster- If I'm correct then the crane bits were all from an actual place just north of Sheffield. I'm sure I've seen it whilst on the rout to Thought Bubble, where there are just loads of Cranes standing around...

Colin? Can you confirm?

there are a gantry (collective noun for cranes) in the heart of Edinbra just now, very close together, but they are the new counterwieghted vertical ones, we really need an expert, any crane operatives out there?
DDT did a job on me

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 08 October, 2018, 01:27:56 AM
And I don't buy your Eastenders argument either.  Unless you can point me to the Easties episode where weird murderous aliens crack out of space-eggs and a flying electric spaghetti monster plants a DNA bomb in Dot Cotton's neck.

You asked for this.