Main Menu

Doctor Who Series 11 Discussion

Started by Andy Lambert, 07 October, 2018, 08:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Lambert

Incase you were curious about the next few episodes...

Episode 3 - [spoiler]Rosa

"If she can live here her whole life, a couple of hours ain't gonna kill me. They ain't gonna kill me, right?"

Montgomery, Alabama. 1955. The Doctor and her friends find themselves in the Deep South of America. As they encounter a seamstress by the name of Rosa Parks, they begin to wonder: is someone attempting to change history? [/spoiler]

Episode 4 - [spoiler]Arachnids In The UK

"Something's happening with the spiders in this city."

The Doctor, Yaz, Graham and Ryan find their way back to Yorkshire – and Yaz's family – only to find something is stirring amidst the eight-legged arachnid population of Sheffield.[/spoiler]

Episode 5 - [spoiler]The Tsuranga Conundrum

"Risk to life: absolute."

Injured and stranded in the wilds of a far-flung galaxy, The Doctor, Yaz, Graham and Ryan must band together with a group of strangers to survive against one of the universe's most deadly -- and unusual -- creatures. [/spoiler]

Episode 6 - [spoiler]Demons Of The Punjab

"What's the point of having a mate with a time machine, if you can't nip back and see your gran when she was younger?"

India, 1947. The Doctor and her friends arrive in the Punjab, as the country is being torn apart. While Yaz attempts to discover her grandmother's hidden history, the Doctor discovers demons haunting the land. Who are they and what do they want? [/spoiler]

Taryn Tailz

The Rosa Parks episode could either be a resounding success or an absolute catastrophe, depending on how they handle the subject matter. I hope to goodness it's the former.

ABCwarBOT

So far I've struggled to get to the end of each episode.   Feels nothing like Dr Who and Jodie's like an irritating comedy act though she's not funny.

Leigh S

My wife is pretty horrified at the idea of them using Rosa Parks, and I kind of agree - as you say, if it was handled well, like Alan Moore well, it might work, but Doctor Who has yet to provide us with Moore level writing, new or classic series! 

She is particularly offended by the idea that the Civil Rights movement wouldnt have happened , albeit slightly differently/later without Parks - after all, Parks was one of a thousand examples of injustice that the movement, which was aleady gathered great momentum, could have built it argument around. 

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 15 October, 2018, 10:59:21 PM
So far I've struggled to get to the end of each episode.   Feels nothing like Dr Who and Jodie's like an irritating comedy act though she's not funny.

Man who was adamant he wasn't going to enjoy TV series watches it anyway; doesn't enjoy it. Film at eleven.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

She comes across much like Smith and Tennant did, to my mind. As for feeling nothing like Doctor Who and being irritating, she didn't burst into the room on the back of a tank, wearing shades, and playing guitar, like a deranged mash-up of Malcolm Tucker and Poochie.

Still, here's an idea for you: why not stop watching? You obviously made up your mind long ago and now want to confirm those opinions. You're ideologically opposes to the show in its current form. So just avoid it.

Bad City Blue

Not as enjoyable as the first ep, but pretty good if you don't stess over plotholes (I wondered about the sunglasses myself) and logical inconsistencies.

I love the new intro sequence, takes me back to the good ol' days.

When The Doctor said "You've Redecorated" I REALLY wanted her to follow it up with "I don't like it". Then, when the TARDIS gave her a biscuit she could have said "Oh, all right... you've won me over. We'll keep it"

The companions contunie to impress, as does Jodie. Her voice and mannerisms are great, giving her a unique personality amongst Doctors, which is what it's all about, really.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

JamesC

I really like the new Tardis interior but I still yearn for a super clean chrome and round thingies on the wall look.

Proudhuff

I missed the second episode, so just watched the Crystal Maze with Jodie Whittaker instead...
DDT did a job on me

BPP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 October, 2018, 08:44:28 AM
She comes across much like Smith and Tennant did, to my mind. As for feeling nothing like Doctor Who and being irritating, she didn't burst into the room on the back of a tank, wearing shades, and playing guitar, like a deranged mash-up of Malcolm Tucker and Poochie.

Laff. Much as I love Capaldi that was the worst of the worst. Shame as I think it understandably put many people off him but his last season was largely great and the very end real red-eye TV. The speech to missy and the master at the 11th hour gets me every time.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Mardroid

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 October, 2018, 12:05:58 PM
Very few of the Doctor's incarnations have had ANY concept of personal space, at least not since No.  4. Squishing their face right up against people and lecturing them is what the Doctor does. Also, she's not a woman any more than that Tardis is a police box:  she's a quasi-immortal alien busybody with two hearts, and her power has never been about her physical size. And she knows kung-fu.

Yep. She went up against an armed man with a blaster* and parylised him with one finger. There's the Doctor's main power in action right there, knowledge, and it's application. (Intelligence in other words.)

A few niggles aside, I enjoyed this episode a lot.

* That gun looked really familiar to me, by the way. I think I've seen it before, somewhere else. A repurposed prop, maybe. Or maybe it's the generic 'sci gun looks like a hair dryer**' thing I'm clocking.

**Because that's likely what these props originally were.

Mardroid

Tardis interior:

I like it a lot. It looks suitably very alien, and a bit weird, while retaining certain anachronistic elements as usual, stuff to pull and push, an hour glass, etc. This is a good thing.

One thing, that strikes me as curious, from the inside POV, the police box seems to now be the porch of the tardis. I.e you don't just see the front door, you see three walls, to the extent that when the Doctor first entered I wondered if there was something wrong and the inside had been displaced somehow. (I do remember that happening before in a previous episode.) But then she walks further literally through the space the fourth wall would be, and there it all is.

It's an interesting design, and visually works well, but it's seems like the new Tardis isn't so much bigger on the inside, as just to the side of the outside, albeit in a dimensional pocket inaccessible from the outside. I.e so the police box is the porch now, not the outside of the tardis. (Unless it's all contained in a microscopic section of wall, from the police box perspective, the back wall being at the other end of the complex. I guess that doesn't break the original rules for the extra-dimensional engineering.)

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but my feelings are mixed on this.

It all looks wonderful, though.

IndigoPrime

Lee Stringer commented on this on Twitter. Noted it's not a new idea for the TARDIS – just something we've not seen in the reboot.

https://twitter.com/lewstringer/status/1051600418915176448?s=21

BPP: agreed. I liked that last series a lot. It was like they realised they were zooming towards everyone's conclusion and wanted to hit it out of the park. Well, apart from Murray Gold, who still did his best to make sure no-one could hear the dialogue, and whoever script edited that farewell speech that went on for approx. three years.

sheridan

Quote from: Mardroid on 16 October, 2018, 04:48:57 PM
One thing, that strikes me as curious, from the inside POV, the police box seems to now be the porch of the tardis. I.e you don't just see the front door, you see three walls, to the extent that when the Doctor first entered I wondered if there was something wrong and the inside had been displaced somehow. (I do remember that happening before in a previous episode.) But then she walks further literally through the space the fourth wall would be, and there it all is.

The same thoughts went through my mind (thinking that the relevant dimensional aspect of the TARDIS had broken, and it was just going to be a wooden box until something got fixed.

von Boom

Overall I liked The Ghost Monument. However, I thought the race was kind of pointless. They could have easily been dumped on the planet without the need of a pickup. I'm getting a very Tom Bakery kind of feel from Whittaker, but in a way that is uniquely her own.

I'm not a fan of the new TARDIS interior. It looks like the interior of a cave. Although the biscuit dispenser is a great idea. This needs to be standard on all future TARDIS'.