Main Menu

Doctor Who Series 11 Discussion

Started by Andy Lambert, 07 October, 2018, 08:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 November, 2018, 01:53:25 PM
YouTube, despite my efforts to massage its view of my tastes ...

....Today it was Bowlestrek,  who spent 10 minutes ranting ...

I think I know why your efforts aren't working
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

Yes, it's my fault for watching at all and feeding the click economy (acknowledged that in my previous post), but it's hard to ignore literally rows of thumbnails of hate. Everytime I get one, I ask not to get any more from that channel and on that topic and give my reason. And tomorrow there's another selection (plus anti-ST Discovery and anti-TLJ Vids... Hmm,  what do they have in common?) overwhelming the stuff I do want to watch.

Hence my whine that it's hard to enjoy - or judge - the show in isolation. It exists in a monetized warzone. The only option seems to be to stick my fingers in my ears and leave the shits to rant unopposed, and claim overwhelming consensus. It's not exactly a pleasant idea.

Proudhuff

I'm so glad this is the only corner of the internet pool I chose to pee in dip my toe in.
DDT did a job on me

Robin Low

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 November, 2018, 07:03:44 PM
Quote from: Robin Low on 19 November, 2018, 06:38:51 PM
Maybe they just kiss?

"We've even got a bit of a love life", says Elton, with the slab resting on his lap.
"Oh let's not go into that", says Ursula.

Hmmm.  You're a more charitable man than I, Mr. Low!

Well, they probably do both, to be honest.

You do raise a fair question about what she gets out of it. Probably not a lot a physically. But, you know, she's loved. She's a face on a slab of concrete, and he still loves her and wants to be with her. And I think it's pretty clear he's a mates-for-life kind of geek. Whether that compensates for also being a convenient hole, I dunno. Need to ask for a woman's perpsective.

That's said, I like a sequel where she gets her body back. And more ELO. Maybe some Jethro Tull, too.

Regards,

Robin

Proudhuff

Not watched that episode on on the strength that its poisoned by 70s prog rock...I'll give it a miss.
next it will be BTO...

DDT did a job on me

Mattofthespurs

Desperately wanted to enjoy the new Who series but apart from the first episode I've found almost the whole thing dreadful.

The only 3 things I like are; Whitaker, Walsh and the opening credits/theme tune.

But the most annoying thing about Kerblam! was the over use of the sonic screwdriver. I wish that was all.

von Boom

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 21 November, 2018, 03:39:45 PM
Desperately wanted to enjoy the new Who series but apart from the first episode I've found almost the whole thing dreadful.

The only 3 things I like are; Walsh, the opening credits/theme tune and Whitaker.

But the most annoying thing about Kerblam! was the over use of the sonic screwdriver. I wish that was all.
Put that in the correct order for you. :)

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lifelong fan. Can't be arsed with it after three episodes
Lock up your spoons!

wedgeski

The Kerblam! episode was mediocre in that very specific way that Who is often mediocre: a daft and uninteresting script carried by the actors, with the occasional decent laugh. Bradley Walsh continues to surprise and impress, though.

CalHab

I thought the ideas were there to make a good episode, they just weren't optimised or assembled correctly.

shaolin_monkey

Anyone with any issue with the acting should hark back to old-school who, where pretty much everyone except the Doctor couldn't bloody act. Even Sarah Jane! There were some right old hams in it.  Stones of Blood is a good example - that old woman was straight out of am-dram!

Not that I could do any better for either old or new Who. Just reminding everyone that nostalgia is definitely rose-tinted.

Anyway, thoroughly enjoying the new series except for the first episode which was an utter shambles.

Trout

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 21 November, 2018, 05:44:34 PM
Lifelong fan. Can't be arsed with it after three episodes

Yeah. I was really excited for this series but it's losing me. Whittaker is cool but I'm just bored by the whole thing. My kids still want to watch it, kind of, so I'll stick with it, but it takes us a few days (and in one case, more than a week) to get around to watching an episode. It's just so slow.

I feel guilty now. For years, I've ranted at people who are critical of Who and told them it's just not for them any more. Now, it seems, it's not for me either. Ah well.

Adrian Bamforth

TordelBack

Heh!  I've been moved in an unreformed male-gaze objectifying way to consider how I seem to rate previous NuWho companions in an inverse relationship with how attractive I find them: the prettiest of the lot was Clara, but probably ended up as my least favourite companion, while at the other end of the spectrum we have Donna, probably my favourite, but not quite the dependable visual treat of Martha or Amy.  Rose is somewhere down the 'good companion' end of the spectrum too.

I didn't watch enough of later Capaldi era to have an opinion on Bill and Nardole, but Rory and Mickey don't really buck the trend.

Sexist and unworthy thoughts to be sure, but still good news for Bradley Walsh! 

BPP

Nardole was the best by a country mile.

Make of that what you will.

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd