Main Menu

'2000 AD' Signs Audiobook Deal With Penguin Random House

Started by Dash Decent, 20 March, 2020, 02:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

Audible has them all up on pre-order for £22.74 or 1 credit each with a running time of 8hrs20 mins and with a release date 04-03-21

DrJomster

I'm definitely going to try at least one of these. I'm another Big Finish audio fan so am VERY interested to see how this turns out. It could open up a whole new window of fans too, which can't be a bad thing. 
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

judgeurko

Are these traditional audiobooks or are they more like the Sandman release which was like an old radio play?

aceface11

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 20 March, 2020, 09:14:49 AM
I still have the audiobook of 'The Apocalypse War' kicking about somewhere.  It was very good!!

Any guesses which ones will be adapted?

I have fond memories of these BBC adaptations. They were on Radio 1 I believe, around drive time? I bought them later on cassette.
The Day The Law Died and the previously mentioned Apocalypse War.

Dash Decent

It's interesting seeing 'The Pit' appear as a full-cast audio play.  I wonder if this is itself adapted from some kind of script workings done for the MC1 TV series.  (Ditto 'America'.)

I'd also like to see these on CD.  Audible are releasing a stack of BBC audios these days, and I'm not a fan of the only-accessible-through-Audible model.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

Joseph Fiennes is Joe Dredd!
Sheila Atim is Halo Jones!
Colin Morgan is Slaine!

Cast announcements: Click!

I'm someone disappointed to see Paterson Jospeh listed as "Narrator" in both Dredd stories.  "The Pit" is an epic story and I was hoping the scale of it would come across in the production.  I'd like to think there are more unnamed background cast but that wouldn't be economically viable, I suppose.

I'll hold off judging it until I've actually heard it, but I think it's a wrong move going having some of it read to us rather than performed for us.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

wedgeski

I'll grab Audible for a month to listen as these come out, but if they're good (and I suspect they will be), I'll be looking for more permanent ownership.

AlexF

I've finally managed to get the Future Shock audio thingies to work on my ipad and have to say the adaptation of comics into audio works pretty well - very reminiscent of Hitch-Hiker's Guide in style and tone and indeed sound design (no surprise there for a Sci-Fi comedy written in 1980). And yeah, I too remember that BBC Apocalypse War audio adaptation as being pretty decent. High hopes for these, especially Brink which I really think could come to life in an all-new way with the right sound effects and cast. Quite the challenge to render all those 'tech-splainey' pop-ups in audio form!

Between this and SpaceSpinner 2000, I feel more realxed about the idea of losing my eyesigth as age creeps up on me. Not actually expecting that to happen, but, y'know, if it DOES, looks like I can retain my osbession with a print comic happily...

judgeurko

Dash Decent

Audible seem to have a "play the start of something as a bit of a taster" option on their audio books.  I'm sure we'll see it switched on closer to release date.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll