Main Menu

Devlin Waugh in the prog

Started by broodblik, 25 January, 2021, 08:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

I never knew that Devlin Waugh had a run in the prog. How good is it and is it worth getting the Devlin Waugh Swimming in Blood graphic novel containing these stories?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Link Prime

Compared to the possessed dildo shite running in the meg for the past year?
It's a different dimension.

Compared to the original Swimming in Blood story?
Not as good.

I don't own them, but I believe the 2000AD Devlin Waugh series was collected in Hachette hardbacks too.

As a general rule, you can't go wrong if John Smith's name is attached.

broodblik

Yes, over the years I have realized how we miss his writing. He has such a unique voice and eccentric
characters. I will get the collection not only for his writing but also for Steve Yeowell's art
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Link Prime

Quote from: broodblik on 25 January, 2021, 10:15:55 AM
I will get the collection not only for his writing but also for Steve Yeowell's art

I didn't appreciate Yeowell's art at the time, it was such a departure from some of the lushly painted artwork that graced the series previously.
I re-read it a few years later and it clicked. Well worth picking up.

Bolt-01

This would be the Herod storyline, yes?

If so then definitely worth picking up. Proper 'big screen' thrillage.

Colin YNWA

I'm a big fan of this storyline and it forms a backbone throughout the year 1999 in the Prog, a year that is one of my all time fav years in Thrillpower.

I blathered on about it a bit in my recent(ish) re-read of it

https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=43337.msg1005481#msg1005481

Highly recommended.

IndigoPrime

I thought it was relentlessly grim at the time. It has a very different feel from Swimming in Blood. But I also think it's a very good story that's definitely work owning. If you can find the Hachette HCs, that's a good way to have those strips, but the Rebellion volumes are also very good.

CalHab

Quote from: Link Prime on 25 January, 2021, 10:10:24 AM
Compared to the possessed dildo shite running in the meg for the past year?
It's a different dimension.

On the other hand, I've enjoyed the Aleš Kot stories. Which just goes to prove....something.

IndigoPrime

I though the Kot stories did well in capturing the general vibe of Waugh. I wasn't so convinced by McConville's efforts, which seemed desperate to unnecessarily wrap up long-running mysteries within that universe that would have been better left alone.

broodblik

I also do not have  an issue with Kot's Devlin. Unfortunately McConville's take was not that great. The reality is that Devlin and Indigo is John Smith.

Richard

The Herod story was brilliant, one of the best things 2000AD has published. Definitely get it.

Barrington Boots

Agreeing with everyone else here in that the Herod story is fantastic and everyone interested in 2000ad should read it.
I sometimes feel like I might be the only person who disliked Swimming in Blood. The idea and horror aspects are cool, but there was a tendency for it to follow the sequence of 'background character meeting a sticky end, to which Waugh says something flippant like 'Pip pip old fellow, most unfortunate, can't wait until we get out of this and have some jam scones', repeat' until the cast is wiped out, and Devlin himself comes across as a one-note joke. It's been a while since I read it, but at the time I couldn't stand it.
By the time the Herod stuff comes around though he's brilliant.

On the new stuff - I like the Kot stuff, didn't like the McConville.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

I always saw SIB as the zippy Hollywood movie, but Herod as a horrifying multi-season take on the character.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 25 January, 2021, 01:56:58 PM
...I sometimes feel like I might be the only person who disliked Swimming in Blood...

Yes, yes you are - I'd put a cheeky / winkie emoticon on this but I don't want to be seen to sugarcoat this!

broodblik

Thx all, I will ensure that my next open reading slot I will give Herod a go.