Main Menu

Outlaw v Rage - Bolt-01 Cup - SEMI-FINAL 1

Started by Colin YNWA, 12 October, 2021, 06:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well what do you know we've hit the semi-finals and I suspect that there are going to be some very tough calls to be made for some folks. For others some of these might feel very straight-forward.

In the first semi we have two epics from the 'golden age', both held in very high regard by so many but which one of these will win the day?

As ever all you need to worry about is which of the following you prefer:

Outlaw - more info

VS

Rage - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite of these two stories at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Friday 15th October and the winner gets a place in the semis.

... there's a spreadsheet to make following easier... if you fancy. If not, don't worry just VOTE!!!!

I've tried to explain the finals here.

What on Earth is ALL of this?

Why on Tharg's Earth head are we doing this?

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

Oh and my 'More info' links... well I don't say how much more and they get pretty wonky at times!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Dark Jimbo

Hmm. Both tales are too long, and unfocused at times. Despite Rage being the more unfocused of the two (most of it is just Johnny's picaresque wanderings), it's got more humour than Outlaw, meaning a re-read is always a bit more enjoyable, and of course the ultimate payoff is killer.
@jamesfeistdraws

Timothy

Outlaw here. The end of Rage is great, but then so is the unmasking of Kreelman and his gunning down by the mass of Stronts. For me Outlaw is less rambling and more fun.

Gis thae chips.

AlexF

A dream draw for me as although there is a lot to admire in Outlaw, Rage works for me more on pretty much every level. Even down to the Chums of Dennis being a funnier bit than the Dogs disguising themselves as hoioded monks.
So, Rage!

credo

Got to be Outlaw for me. Great cast and Stront with Wulf is always better than Stront without.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

sheridan

Outlaw - because it had that letter from a scientist working in Antarctica a few months later, looking forward to the rainforest that will arrive in the 2150s.  Difficult choice this one, both are great tales.

Dark Jimbo

Can I just say how much I love that we have consistently alternating votes so far?

@jamesfeistdraws

GoGilesGo

just so I can fall in with Jimbo's rhythm...

Rage

Rogue Judge

Apologies for messing up the current pattern of alternating votes, but this round goes to Rage for me! Both deserving and fantastic stories but Rage barley edges it this time, with one of the most satisfying endings ever.

Leigh S

Oop - i was about to post this then got ditracted, which would have kept the pattern going - Damn it!

Weighting this up my intial thought was it must be Rage, but honestly, I think theres more fun and "Strontium Dogness" to be found in Outlaw so it's getting my vote. As I said before, its the culmination of a lot of other great story threads and just ticks maybe one more box than Rage does for me!

Leigh S

(and not to inflame the thread, but "Because I hate you" is a great moment but... not a great line..

#sorrynotsorry

sheridan

Quote from: Leigh S on 12 October, 2021, 03:16:32 PM
(and not to inflame the thread, but "Because I hate you" is a great moment but... not a great line..

#sorrynotsorry

I kind of agree, but that makes me wonder what is a great line (as in what would make a line great).  "Mind the oranges, Marlon" isn't a great line on its own, it's the cultural meaning it has to us lot that gives it greatness...