Main Menu

Liberty Meadows

Started by Sefton Disney, 13 August, 2009, 11:28:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sefton Disney

I was just wondering if anybody out there knew what the score was with regards to Frank Cho's Liberty Meadows. I'm a huge fan, but I think the last issue I bought was #36, and that was maybe three years ago. Has he abandoned it? I certainly hope not. Sublime as Shanna and Red Sonja are, great as his covers and pin-ups are, I really miss Liberty Meadows in my monthly bag of new comics...

Colin YNWA

Its hoped that issue 38 will be out by the end of the year (though how much faith to place in that is open to debate). Very early preview here.

http://apesandbabes.com/frankchoforum/viewtopic.php?t=5209

I love Liberty Meadows, though it was better when Frank Cho wasn't quite so obssessed by 'cheesecake'. Its hilarious. Its never going to be monthly again I suspect, nor bi-monthly, not while Cho has so many more commitments elsewhere (so stop buying his Marvel stuff already!) he has always said however that he will continue working on it.

If you pop over to this Apes and Babes website forum there is normally a thread doing the rounds asking for it back that'll point you back to the latest news.

Apparently there was plans for a TV show, for good or bad, that is now in development hell.

Sefton Disney

Thanks for the feedback, Colin.

I have a bad feeling I may have missed Issue 37; I'll have to check the numbers when I get home.

I've always thought that the strength of Liberty Meadows was that it worked on so many different levels. There's the ongoing "romance" thread between Frank and Brandy, the slapstick with Ralph, Leslie and Dean and the more satirical Bloom County-ish stuff, like "Chuck Hur". And then there are all the media references and pastiches, as well. It's an extremely flexible strip, and Frank Cho really knows how to tell a joke.

I'm a big fan of the same sort of 1940s-style pin-ups that Frank Cho is so enamoured of - espcially Gil Elvgren - so no complaints on that score from me! :-)