Main Menu

Outpost

Started by Colin YNWA, 15 August, 2009, 08:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Did a search and was surprised to find that this hadn't been discussed too much, well except Peter Wolf saying it made his life spug.

I actually quite enjoyed it. The similarities to 'Fiends of the Eastern Front' are pretty superficial, or rather possibly swamped by so many other horror movie tropes as to not stand out particularly. The film suffered a little from [spoiler]ghosts being a little too all powerful and ill defined (though there was a line of dialogue that tried to excuse this) making the ending if refreshing a little telegraphed. There never was any real hope. [/spoiler]

Still fun characters, neat little premise, looked great for a low budget film and always entertaining.

IAMTHESYSTEM

I saw a film on the BBC channel called the Bunker about a group of Nazi soldiers retreating from the approaching allies. They hide in the aforementioned Bunker and get haunted by ghosts though it is in fact their guilt at having massacred some german deserters.

Is Outpost similar to this ?
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Peter Wolf

I think it might be.This was my problem with this film as i thought it has an overdone theme.

I think the first film concerning bunkers and Nazis and German soldiers was a film called The Keep which was directed by Micheal Mann.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Keef Monkey

Awww, I hadn't seen The Bunker but thought having seen The Outpost this thread would be safe. That'll teach me to go on the internet.

mygrimmbrother

I enjoyed this, but thought the much-maligned Bunker was superior. Anyone seen Deathwatch with lil' Billy Elliot? Now that was a shite movie.

Overdone themes or not, can we really have too many Nazi zombie flicks??

Sefton Disney

I'd really like to see The Keep again; I saw it once, many years ago, I think as part of Moviedrome on BBC2. It seems to be a bit of a "lost" film these days. I think it was a huge box-office flop on its original release. It's a bit of a mess plot-wise, but very atmospheric, and the cast is fantastic. I'd recommend F. Paul Wilson's original (far superior) novel to any fans of Fiends of the Eastern Front.

I thought Deathwatch was pretty good myself, especially Andy Serkis, who delivered a great psycho turn.

Colin YNWA

While having a virtual back and forth with Alex Ronald (see thread in the General Section) it turns out there's going to be a sequel to Outpost that he worked on earlier in the year.

Always a little nervous with these things but it'll be interesting to see where they decide to take this story as there are clearly a number of avenues that could be explored.

HOO-HAA

I thought this was an excellent film. They achieved a lot with their modest budget, mainly due to great direction and good, solid performances by all of the cast.

It's a hell of a lot better than Dead Snow, in my opinion - the other nazi zombie thing doing the rounds... but, then again, Outpost isn't really a zombe flick, per se..

mygrimmbrother

True - but Dead Snow had The Best Tagline in the history of (Norwegian) film.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 05 November, 2009, 06:16:00 PM
True - but Dead Snow had The Best Tagline in the history of (Norwegian) film.

;D hahah! True enough!

Colin YNWA

Err what would that be then????

HOO-HAA

Tiplodocus

I enjoyed THE KEEP (the book) and really enjoyed THE KEEP (the film) - better than the book in my humble opinion.  Just loved the basic idea (admittedly probably done before) of a Jewish chap having to accept that the Crucifix wokrs as a bane to vampires thus throwing his enter belief system up in the air.  Some cool physical effects as well.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

HOO-HAA

Is that The Keep by Jennifer Egan?