Main Menu

Back after many years away

Started by credo, 06 May, 2011, 12:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

credo

Hello all,

First post on the board, and back in the Squaxx fold after many, many years away.  Started collecting in the 80s (around the late 400s) and quit in the mid-90s.  Not collecting the prog or meg at the mo', but amassing a large collection of trades (thank you Rebellion).

Favourite Thrills:

1. Strontium Dog
2. Nemesis The Warlock
3. Zenith
4. Dredd

Love anything John Smith (it might be an unpopular choice, but Revere is one of my personal favourites).

Would love to see trade editions of the following:

1. The Complete Tyranny Rex (inc. all the stories from the summer/winter/sci-fi specials)
2. A collected 'minor works' of John Smith (Firekind, Revere, Slaughterbowl, etc)
3. The Complete Journal of Luke Kirby (fat chance, I know)
4. The Complete Zenith (obviously)
5. The next Shakara trade (one of the few newer thrills I've got round to - although I've a few Dante trades waiting in the pile).

Hope to chat on the boards.

Colin YNWA

Another Revere fan here and thing while his story telling sometimes suffered Simon Harrison gets too hard a time off many fans. I like his stuff. John Smith fan as well.

Hope you enjoy you're journey into the trades but I should say that the Prog is on fire at the moment and has been for the last couple of years. Its a great time to be getting back into the Galaxies greatest.

Welcome aboard and have fun.

Dandontdare

Welcome to the friendliest forum in geekdom!

Another Smith fan here - was Slaughterbowl one of his? I'm surprised as I thought this was a bit crap.

Emperor

Welcome

Quote from: credo on 06 May, 2011, 12:44:19 PM
First post on the board, and back in the Squaxx fold after many, many years away.

I'm curious -

Quote from: credo on 06 May, 2011, 12:44:19 PMLove anything John Smith (it might be an unpopular choice, but Revere is one of my personal favourites).

Well it is an interesting one, but I'm sure you'll find others here who'll agree.

Quote from: credo on 06 May, 2011, 12:44:19 PMWould love to see trade editions of the following:

1. The Complete Tyranny Rex (inc. all the stories from the summer/winter/sci-fi specials)

Me too:
http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,26759.msg471091.html#msg471091
http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,31041.msg563563.html#msg563563
http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,27912.msg497449.html#msg497449

I'm sure I've made the case for this before but again... Some of the stories were a little rocky (usually down to poor art) but the standard is better than the Indigo Prime trade, where the early stories are a chore to get through but you have the Chris Weston-shaped light at the end of the tunnel to keep you going. With TR you actually start off strong and end strong with some big name artists in there like Steve Dillon and Mark Buckingham (who get you good recognition in the States, something that can't hurt a trades chances of shifting a few units), plus a lot of the stories are excellent.

Quote from: credo on 06 May, 2011, 12:44:19 PM2. A collected 'minor works' of John Smith (Firekind, Revere, Slaughterbowl, etc)

Now that is interesting, I'd buy it like a shot but Firekind and Revere have been reprinted in the Extreme Editions, so they might be a bit wary of doing them again but I have been hoping for Slaughterbowl to get a reprint in the Meg supplement.

Quote from: credo on 06 May, 2011, 12:44:19 PM3. The Complete Journal of Luke Kirby (fat chance, I know)

Yes I don't think this is anywhere near being resolved. I'd love a copy if they could work something out.

Quote from: credo on 06 May, 2011, 12:44:19 PM4. The Complete Zenith (obviously)

Amen, we got our hopes up last year only to have them dashed again but at least they are still talking about it.

Quote from: credo on 06 May, 2011, 12:44:19 PM5. The next Shakara trade (one of the few newer thrills I've got round to - although I've a few Dante trades waiting in the pile).

Now that is pretty much guaranteed.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

credo

Thanks for the replies.

Quote from: Dandontdare on 06 May, 2011, 12:56:27 PM

Another Smith fan here - was Slaughterbowl one of his? I'm surprised as I thought this was a bit crap.

Slaughterbowl was the only non-Millar/Morrison strip in the infamous Summer Offensive. Definitely not his best work, but I think it's suffered a bit by association.

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 06 May, 2011, 12:54:21 PM
Another Revere fan here and thing while his story telling sometimes suffered Simon Harrison gets too hard a time off many fans. I like his stuff.

I'm a big Simon Harrison fan too. You're right that his story telling can be a bit awkward, but it was stuff like this and John Hinklenton (RIP) that really got me hooked.  I thought it was very expressionist, which is something I hadn't seen in comics before.  I think that's what actually put a lot of people off their art.

Quote from: Emperor on 06 May, 2011, 01:06:45 PM

Quote from: credo on 06 May, 2011, 12:44:19 PM
First post on the board, and back in the Squaxx fold after many, many years away.

I'm curious -

Moved out and let the subscription slip.  It was during the lean years so I didn't have much of a reason to go back.  Life moved on, but things have a way of coming round in cycles (in this case thanks to the Rebellion trades), so here I am.

Quote from: Emperor on 06 May, 2011, 01:06:45 PM
Quote from: credo on 06 May, 2011, 12:44:19 PMWould love to see trade editions of the following:

I'm sure I've made the case for this before but again... Some of the stories were a little rocky (usually down to poor art) but the standard is better than the Indigo Prime trade, where the early stories are a chore to get through but you have the Chris Weston-shaped light at the end of the tunnel to keep you going. With TR you actually start off strong and end strong with some big name artists in there like Steve Dillon and Mark Buckingham (who get you good recognition in the States, something that can't hurt a trades chances of shifting a few units), plus a lot of the stories are excellent.

I actually like the first Fevert and Lobe story. It's a fun read and I appreciate the Sonic Youth titles in the 'Next Prog' bit. Not a patch on Killing Time of course, but it was still one of the better parts of the trade.

The Legendary Shark

Welcome to the board.

John Smith is a regular attendee of our Wednesday Night Chats over at the Yap Shop - see the Wednesday Night Chat or The Intercourse of Beautiful People threads on this very forum for details on how to find us...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

flip-r mk2

Howdo and welcome to the board.

filip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Greg M.

Quote from: credo on 06 May, 2011, 01:47:34 PM
I actually like the first Fevert and Lobe story. It's a fun read and I appreciate the Sonic Youth titles in the 'Next Prog' bit. Not a patch on Killing Time of course, but it was still one of the better parts of the trade.

Greetings and welcome. I bloody love 'Fervent and Lobe: The Issigri Variations'. And, if I am honest, almost everything John Smith's ever written, including Revere (head-spinningly good when read in one sitting) and Slaughterbowl. I would also really love a complete collection of all of John's standalone series (and also one for Pete Milligan, with Shadows, Tribal Memories, The Dead and so on), but in the meantime I've had to make do with the Extreme Editions.

DrJomster

Welcome aboard!

I do recommend trying out both the prog and the meg though. They are on fire at the moment, really, really strong!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

credo

Quote from: Greg M. on 07 May, 2011, 10:34:25 AM
Quote from: credo on 06 May, 2011, 01:47:34 PM

Greetings and welcome. I bloody love 'Fervent and Lobe: The Issigri Variations'. And, if I am honest, almost everything John Smith's ever written, including Revere (head-spinningly good when read in one sitting) and Slaughterbowl. I would also really love a complete collection of all of John's standalone series (and also one for Pete Milligan, with Shadows, Tribal Memories, The Dead and so on), but in the meantime I've had to make do with the Extreme Editions.

A Pete Milligan one would definitely be good too.  Reread The Dead just recently.  Not as good as I remember, but still a very interesting piece of work.