Main Menu

British comic books?

Started by Hawkmumbler, 24 September, 2011, 08:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Damn, why is our country so small and insignificent.
Why must we be faced with the giants of America? Why? Why?
So, I wanna get into more home grown goody's from the mother country, as I currently only read (besides 2KAD and The big Meg of cause) the DWM and Commando, I have a fair bit left to spend on other british comics.
Any sugestions?

SmallBlueThing

As of next month: Strip.

And please grab hold of ZARJAZ, DOGBREATH, FUTUREQUAKE, SOMETHING WICKED, PARAGON, DR WTF, etc. Also Viz is still quite good from time to time, and The Beano is a reet laff as well. I buy it every week for my eldest son and always, always, read it when he's not looking.

SBT

Zarjazzer

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

SmallBlueThing

Plus, if you spare cash to spend, pick up the greats of yesteryear. I don't JUST mean the lovely Titan hardbacks of Charley's War (Which is the single greatest British comic strip ever published, bar none), Darkie's Mob, Johnny Red, The Spider, Steel Claw and all those, but also go after the original comics- scour eBay/ 26pigs and secondhand shops, bootsales, junk markets... work towards a run of Mistys, Battles, Actions, etc, etc. British comics are fantastic.

Oh, and if so inclined, remember that Panini have recently completed all the UK-originated reprints of Captain Britain across five trade paperbacks. But go for the comics- try to get a run of early HULK WEEKLY for instance; enjoy UK originated Hulk by Dave Gibbons, Nick Fury by Steve Dillon, and the like.

SBT

Emperor

As well as the small press mentioned above, you'd also want to check out what the independent British publishers are releasing, folks like Com.x, Self Made Hero and Markosia. The first has the excellent Cla$$war and Razorjack from a range of droids, SMH have the Lovecraft Anthology and At the Mountains of Madness, while the last one picked up Cancertown and have since released Slaughterman's Creed. They also be releasing titles from folks on this board in the near future. There is also Classical Comics, if that is your cup of tea.

Try and bag some copies of Warrior too.

Marvel UK did quite a lot of good work back in the day, you'd want to pick up the Captain Britain trades (the Panini editions run from before the reboot that Alans Moore and Davis took to new heights.

Coincidentally, there was a piece in the Indie about British comics, pity they only mentioned 2000AD, CLiNT and Strip as there are more out there in the independent comics scene, as well as the small press.

www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/the-continuing-adventures-of-the-spirit-of-anarchy-2360379.html
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Daveycandlish

Well of course I'm bound to say PARAGON comic - I publish it!

I second Warrior - get yourself on ebay and buy back issues of some of Alan Moore's best work

The Zarjaz boys do some splendid stuff

I also recommend The Abnormals - a british superhero team fighting creatures in the London underground, West by the fellows over at the angrycandy website and Tozo - a steampunk Tintin-esque Venetian cop fighting corruption.

Google these and you won't be disappointed!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Many would argue that http://massacreforboys.co.uk is the greatest comic publisher in the universe.

Well, I say "would", I mean "don't". Yet.

Bolt-01

Speaking personally I second the call for the Massacre: For Boys comics, especially Walking Wounded. I also love Sgt Mike Battle and the mighty OmniVistaScope too.

Of course if you don't buy FutureQuake, Something Wicked, Zarjaz or Dogbreath then you are missing out on some of the finest comics around today. (New issues will be on sale in November, but 'many' back issues are available)

maryanddavid

Some good rec there, Ill be looking into some of them myself. Check out the Titan reptints of Jeff Hawke and Dan Dare too, well worth a loook.

David

DrJomster

The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.