Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Smith on 10 November, 2021, 12:01:46 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 10 November, 2021, 09:54:27 AM
I've been dipping in and out of DS9 and TNG lately. Find I'm skipping most of the major character episodes (too slow and schmaltzy) and focussing on the weirder one-offs - 'something bizarre goes wrong and nearly kills everybody' type of stories.
You are literally doing it completely wrong. 🤣

How so?

Quote from: Radbacker on 11 November, 2021, 03:02:21 AM
New season of Bigmouth on the Flix, laugh my arse off but if this show doesn't make you uncomfortable there's something wrong with you.

CU Radbacker

I liked the bit right at the end of S:1 where the hormone monsters are discussing making it into a TV show and someone says nobody would make a show about children and sex, so Maury says "I mean, maybe if it's animated, we could get away with it"

Proudhuff

Quote from: Link Prime on 03 November, 2021, 03:13:19 PM
Halfway through Season 2 of Locke & Key.
It's an improvement, acting-wise at least, on the first very uneven season, but still not clicking with me.
It just all seems a bit too convenient, for lack of a better word that I can't be bothered Googling.

I really love the comic series, and do enjoy seeing certain elements play out on screen, such as the 'Giant' spider and Head Key, but can't see myself ever re-watching it.

Liked the 1st series here, was keen to see the 2nd, what a let down!  again the marketing people have had a look at the demographics and decided who/what kind of characters we'll be watching... if I wanted to watch this amount of loud obnoxious youth I'd go to the back of a LRT bus at four oclock.
DDT did a job on me

Hawkmumbler

Ahha, oh man. I knew the Netflix live action remake of COWBOY BEBOP was going to be, at best, a well intentioned, lukewarm redo but I wasn't anticipating such levels of thudding mediocrity.

von Boom

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 19 November, 2021, 01:29:56 PM
Ahha, oh man. I knew the Netflix live action remake of COWBOY BEBOP was going to be, at best, a well intentioned, lukewarm redo but I wasn't anticipating such levels of thudding mediocrity.
Isn't that Netflix's raison d'etre?

The Legendary Shark

If, like me, you've ever lain awake at night fretting over how Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) might look if Quentin Tarantino ever got his hands on it then fret no more and throw your eyeballs at the undiluted arseomeness that is Marvel's Hit-Monkey.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 20 November, 2021, 12:34:04 PM

If, like me, you've ever lain awake at night fretting over how Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) might look if Quentin Tarantino ever got his hands on it then fret no more and throw your eyeballs at the undiluted arseomeness that is Marvel's Hit-Monkey.

But avoid Vic and Bob's version
DDT did a job on me

Smith

@Dandontdare Story and characters are the reason to watch,not the whatever anomaly of the week they are investigating. At least for me.

Proudhuff

Enjoying Irvine Welsh's CRIME, had to sign up to Britbox (grrr!) but got six months free up front with a cancellation anytime... its basically Rebus in Trainspotting mode, no bad thing!
DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

Quote from: Smith on 21 November, 2021, 07:36:19 AM
@Dandontdare Story and characters are the reason to watch,not the whatever anomaly of the week they are investigating. At least for me.

But when you already know the stories and characters backwards,  a weird disease or transporter accident is much more fun than endless episodes showing Worf bonding with his son, Bajoran religious politics or the Misery of the O'Briens.

Just watched S:3 of What We Do in the Shadows - still fun in parts, but a definite dip in quality. The best jokes are recycled from previous series. The last two episodes were good though as we see the "end" for one of the characters....

pictsy

I finished Lower Decks.  It was still fun, but I think it could easily go off the rails.

I started Discovery Season 3 and I'm really enjoying it.  I like the setting change, the mystery and some new character dynamics.  I'm about half way through and I'm really engaged.

pictsy

Finished Discovery Season 3 and I loved it.  I like this direction and I hope they can do it justice going forward.

Also, Aeon Flux.  Esoteric, metaphor heavy Aeon Flux.  I really dig it's style.

The Legendary Shark

I've been putting off watching Hill Street Blues for a while now because I haven't seen it since it was first aired on UK tv and was afraid it wouldn't live up to the fond memories I have of it. However, I've just got to season 3 (of 7) and I'm happy - nay, overjoyed - to report that I'm falling in love with it all over again. The only thing I find annoying about it is that every week Captain Furillo's ex-wife, Fay, turns up with some bullsh*t complaint and expects him to drop everything in order to deal with it. Which he generally does - with a smile on his face.

Apart from that, it's excellent telly with good stories and compelling characters. Next time you're shopping for something to watch you could do a lot worse. Keep an eye open for it and hey - let's be careful out there...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tiplodocus

I sat through all of Season 1 of Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous and, a few minor niggles about how shit the dinosaurs were at eating kids aside, I really enjoyed it. Some great tension and action set pieces, some nuanced characters (really!) and gorgeous Dino renderings made me wish it was live action. Better than at least three of the five movies. 

(I'm a fan of the original, natch, and controversially rank III above the others mainly because I love it being a pure chase movie).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Pyroxian

I've watched all 4 seasons of Camp Cretaceous and really enjoyed them - the kids can be annoying at times, but that's because they're kids, and I'm (mostly) an adult.