Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 11 February, 2022, 02:43:47 PM
Been watching I, CLADIUS over the last week after years of meaning to do so and...yeah, bit good innit?

Yes. It's brilliant, and everyone is brilliant in it. Frankly, it's worth it just to remind yourself that there was a time when Brian Blessed was prepared to actually act and, it turns out, he was quite good at it.

(Even I wasn't old enough to watch it when it aired, but I saw it, at my parents' insistence, when it got re-shown in the 80s. One of those bits of landmark TV that you kind of felt no one but the BBC would have made at the time. See also: Edge of Darkness, Boys from the Blackstuff, maybe Black Adder(?). I miss that BBC.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richard

Strangely, Patrick Stewart looks exactly the same.

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 February, 2022, 05:23:25 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 11 February, 2022, 02:43:47 PM
Been watching I, CLADIUS over the last week after years of meaning to do so and...yeah, bit good innit?

One of the best t.v. shows ever.

I remember being allowed to stay up past my bedtime to watch this as it was 'educational' and being totally freaked out by a bloody-mouthed John Hurt

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dandontdare on 11 February, 2022, 10:38:09 PM
I remember being allowed to stay up past my bedtime to watch this as it was 'educational' and being totally freaked out by a bloody-mouthed John Hurt

GOD, YES.

pictsy

I finished Adventure Time, including the finale for the first time.  Really punched me hard in the feels.  Absolutely loved how it wrapped up and I love the show as a whole.  There is a reason it is in my rotation, after all.

I'm now going to start on The Expanse from the beginning.  I only got as far as Season Two, so I've a lot of catching up.  Have they concluded the series yet?

broodblik

Yes the series has been cancelled with a few possibilities still kept open - especially the last season
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

wedgeski

Quote from: broodblik on 14 February, 2022, 01:47:58 PM
Yes the series has been cancelled with a few possibilities still kept open - especially the last season
I think it would be fairer to say it has finished, rather than been cancelled. :)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: wedgeski on 14 February, 2022, 02:59:27 PM
I think it would be fairer to say it has finished, rather than been cancelled. :)

Yeah — the end of S5 was intended as the conclusion to the series.* There are a few sub-plotty hooks they could hang a spin-off or a continuation on, but the main plot wraps up pretty conclusively.

*I haven't read the books but, as I understand, this is a logical place to finish, since the books take a significant jump forward in time after ones the TV series is based on.

pictsy

That all sounds good.  I do like watching a series after it has been finished.  I have lost interest in so many TV shows due to having to wait for the next season.  The Expanse being one of these.  I only considered giving it a second go because of comments about the show made here :)

CalHab

Quote from: Rara Avis on 15 January, 2022, 01:49:43 PM
I cannot recommend Station Eleven highly enough.

https://youtu.be/RaAG-SwEa7k

I hadn't realised this was out. I remember enjoying the novel back in the before-times, when pandemics were something I read about in fiction.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: pictsy on 14 February, 2022, 03:51:36 PM
That all sounds good.  I do like watching a series after it has been finished.  I have lost interest in so many TV shows due to having to wait for the next season.  The Expanse being one of these.  I only considered giving it a second go because of comments about the show made here :)

You have to hit a sweet spot in regards to number of episodes though... Anything more than 50 and it sometimes feels like doing homework no matter how good the show.

THE EXPANSE and BLACK SAILS fit nicely into my criteria.

(Though the "tits ahoy" mentality and rapes in seasons 1 and 2 of Black Sails means I caveat any recommendations.)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

pictsy

I think I'm generally okay with number of episodes.  I only watch an hour at most (usually 40 minutes) of a show per day with very rare exceptions.  I find it easier to digest a show doing it this way than when I'd binge.  It's also nice not to think about what I'd like to watch for a long time.  When I get near to the end of a series I usually know what I fancy watching next.  Plus I've got my rotation of shows I rewatch.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Apestrife on 13 September, 2020, 06:26:24 PM
Halfway through Lindelof's Watchmen. Must say, quite good thus far. I especially enjoy how nutty Veidt is. I also enjoy Angela's Sister Night, especially how intense her eyes are. Cool character.

So I'm late to the party here but I finally got round to this. I thought it was great from beginning to end. Took me a while to get my head around Jeremy irons performance but in the end, it worked for me. I really like the idea that the "race war" is as dangerous today as the nuclear arms race was in the eighties. Loved most of the twists and turns (and nope, I never guessed the big one) and how it all tied together. Regina King and Lou Gosett Jr absolutely fab.

If I was to nitpick? It actually felt a bit more "could stand on it's own" in the early episodes despite the call backs to the comic but by the end, I reckon a casual viewer would be lost. It's so ingrained in me though that it's hard to know for sure. I might tie Mrs Tips to a chair and get her thoughts.

Ps: made the mistake of looking for some reviews online. It's amazing how many people confuse "themes of racism" with "it's anti-white!".

Tiplodocus

Oh and so glad we got a depiction of the squid. Just epic stuff.

Link Prime

A colleague mentioned to me yesterday that Netflix are gonna pull all of their Marvel shows.
I didn't believe her, casue hey - Netflix produced the fuckin things, right?

Anyway, yes it's true, and all those series that I thought I could watch at my leisure due to the small 'N' in the top corner of the onscreen thumbnail are now on borrowed time.
My planned sequential watch has been abandoned - going straight to Defenders + Daredevil season 3.
Will leave it there.
(I've only previously watched Daredevil 1 + 2, Jessica Jones 1 and Luke Cage 1).