Main Menu

Soviet Hobbit - Now online

Started by Hawkmumbler, 10 January, 2015, 08:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Yeah, it's about as infamous amongst Tolkien fans as the Star Wars Holiday Special is amongst Wars fans, but you know what, 55 minuets in and I can't see why. It's insanely charming, [spoiler]sock puppet Smaug and all[/spoiler].

http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/news/the-soviets-made-a-hobbit-movie-in-1985-yeah-its-awesome/38162?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_40234

JOE SOAP

The Sovs have an interesting relationship with Tolkien; one that is possibly influenced by how they fared in the Cold War as another curio is Kirill Eskov's The Last Ringbearer which is a retelling of The Lord of the Rings from the perspective of Mordor and the idea that The Lord of the Rings is a piece of propagandist myth-making as told by the victors.

ThryllSeekyr

I've seen the other film and thought it must have been terribly underfunded, yet intriguing.

Did you know that it's the victor that always writes or tells the story.

So, what does that say about Ukko?

Goaty

ThryllSeekyr

No, I knew this was about the Soviet version of Tolkien's story and I just said something that was well known about the people who write history and how Ukko tells the story about his companionSlaine.

My point is that history is supposedly always written by the winners or in the very least the survivors.

My last comment merely about that....

CrazyFoxMachine

What's really startling about the Soviet Hobbit is that it's far more accurate (and succinct) than Peter Jackson's recent effort.

Also shocking: Bilbo is portrayed by Bernard Manning.

and Gandalf by Matthew Kelly

judda fett

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 12 January, 2015, 12:36:06 AM
What's really startling about the Soviet Hobbit is that it's far more accurate (and succinct) than Peter Jackson's recent effort.

Also shocking: Bilbo is portrayed by Bernard Manning.

Two Hobbits and a Wizard walk into a tavern...

Comrade.

shaolin_monkey