Main Menu

Mega City Book Club - a new podcast about 2000AD books

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 23 May, 2016, 08:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhizzBang

Thanks Eamonn. Tour Of Duty is my favourite of all the mega-epics I have read since returning to 2000AD (I only read the ones up to City Of The Damned orginally) and listening to this has made me go back and read it again.

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: WhizzBang on 06 July, 2020, 03:21:19 PM
Thanks Eamonn. Tour Of Duty is my favourite of all the mega-epics I have read since returning to 2000AD (I only read the ones up to City Of The Damned orginally) and listening to this has made me go back and read it again.
Cheers, WB.
It's a great epic with a lot to say about Dredd.

sheridan

So you've missed out on Oz and Necropolis?

WhizzBang

Quote from: sheridan on 07 July, 2020, 10:26:45 AM

So you've missed out on Oz and Necropolis?

Yes, I have only read these two since they were published in the Case File format.It was quite a ride catching up with all this stuff.

JayzusB.Christ

QuotePlease read in a Ray Winstone voice.

Like that Judge Dredd Playstation game years ago, where they'd clearly run out of American-style voice-actors and made half the characters cockney. 
Great podcast and great grail page.  As is so often the case listening to Eamonn and his guests, I'm now dying to go back and read what they were talking about.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Eamonn Clarke

A bonus show which features the first episode of a new podcast project I have started with my daughter, Jenny. In A Handful of Dust we are going to cover all the collected editions of Neil Gaiman's Sandman comic and discuss some of the challenging themes and issues raised in the series in a similar fashion to episode 68 of the book club.

If that sounds like something you might be interested in then subscribe in your podcast app or through the website below. If the Sandman is not your thing then don't worry, there will be another episode along next week discussing One-Eyed Jack and Valiant comic.
Cheers

https://handfulofdustpodcast.blogspot.com

sheridan

QuoteThe feed does not have subscriptions by email enabled
Is that a setting you can change?

sheridan

Andy B

A very interesting listen. I'm absolutely going to have to dig out my original issues and re-read along with you. Hopefully monthly!

Maybe this is a generational issue (I'm a 50 year-old straight guy), but it surprised me to hear Neil Gaiman being given a hard time for his treatment of gay characters. Wasn't he a trailblazer for diversity in mainstream comics? It certainly felt that way at the time.

It's true that things didn't work out well for Judy in '24 Hours', but they didn't work out well for anybody. Would it have been better writing if everybody in that diner had been straight? Or if Judy had some kind of survival superpower derived from her sexuality?

Regardless, I agree that Book 1 is not the place to start for a newcomer, particularly somebody new to comics who knows Gaiman from his books. I started with issue 8 (just good luck!) picking up the back issues when I could, and that worked well for me. If anything, the earlier issues are more interesting when you know what they are leading up to.

And definitely don't start with the 'Overture'! Book 3 is a good call.

sheridan

My start was about half way through Season of Mists and I think I agree with Andy B - when outside the mainstream superhero scene other places are a better start point.

Eamonn Clarke

Thanks for listening, guys
It's a good point. Gaiman's diversity of characters was progressive for 1989 but revisited 30 years later it does have some troubling issues. And we will talk about them in future episodes as well.

Rately

What timing!

I purchased the Sandman books digitally, through a Comixology sale a few years back, and am finally about to read it from start to finish, having started and faltered a few times. 

Looking forward to the podcast, Eamonn.

TordelBack