Main Menu

Pokemon Go app

Started by Goaty, 12 July, 2016, 09:59:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Installed. Found a Pokémon in my room. Faced with a swoopy arrow. No idea what the hell to do next. And I review mobile games for a living.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 14 July, 2016, 05:03:24 PM
I'm a Spectrum man meself.

Indeed. On hearing of Pokemon Go it reminded me of the 1984 game Hareraiser which must be one of the the first, if not the first, real-world/virtual-world interaction game where solving the clues would allow you to enter a competition that would reveal the location of a golden hare.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hareraiser

The golden hare had been the prize in a previous buried treasure hunt that involved solving riddles in a children's book, Masquerade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masquerade_(book)

BBC 4 programme on the book's author Kit Williams and the story of the golden hare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEIFm0UHtoo

Banners

Had a walk around for a quick look. Quite odd seeing quite a few people doing the same...(!)

Scanner showed two Pokemon in neighbour's houses. What are you supposed to do—ring the bell and ask if you can go in?

shaolin_monkey

I put a lure down at a Pokestop near my house last night, and hung around to catch something.  Two local kids sauntered up, phones out.  'Nah, nowt here but a pIdgey' one said, and they wandered off.  then two men in a car pulled up, and both got their phones out.  After about 5 mins of us just hanging around there I said to them 'Pokémon Go?' and they both laughed.  'Any luck mate?' one asked.  'Nah, just a Pidgey and a rattat.'  I left shortly after.

Also yesterday a couple of teenagers had a laugh as I sauntered up to a lure they had left not far from my work, as they watched me trying to catch a Drowsee.

It's everywhere!!

I walked into work this morn and caught seven pokemeon and picked up two eggs and loads of pokeballs from the pokestops en route.  One egg is in the incubator as we speak.

I'm really enjoying this!

James Stacey

The amusing thing in all this is Nintendo's share rocketing and everyone congratulating them but they had virtually nothing to do with the game other than stamping a seal of approval.

Goaty

Pyroxian

Quote from: Goaty on 15 July, 2016, 12:14:05 PM
It was start by Google as April Fool

http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/12/pokemon-go-is-based-on-a-google-april-fools-joke-6003189/

Possibly - although the game itself is based on Ingress, Niantic labs original AR game, which is very similar. To the point that all the Ingress Portals are Pokestops / gyms, which makes it easier for me to find all the ones around Oxford :) Esp. as there's one right outside my house.

James Stacey

Quote from: Pyroxian on 15 July, 2016, 12:45:57 PM
Quote from: Goaty on 15 July, 2016, 12:14:05 PM
It was start by Google as April Fool

http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/12/pokemon-go-is-based-on-a-google-april-fools-joke-6003189/

Possibly - although the game itself is based on Ingress, Niantic labs original AR game, which is very similar. To the point that all the Ingress Portals are Pokestops / gyms, which makes it easier for me to find all the ones around Oxford :) Esp. as there's one right outside my house.
Niantic was spun off from Google and did the pokemon april fool originally

Hawkmumbler

Aaaand it didn't take long for tin foil hat folk to bombard me with conspiracies that the CIA and MI5 are reading my emails via Pokemon Go.  :lol:

Tomwe

Necropost! Anyone still Pokemon Go'ing? Or returned to the game lately? It's my current obsession - slightly cheaper than toy robots and painting mini's.

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Barrington Boots

I've been playing almost since launch. It's definitely not as much fun as it was: over-reliance on events, paid content, drip feeding new releases and the general malaise of the later gen Pokemon being a bit rubbish have all watered it down a bit, but it's still fun and still something I log onto at least once a day.

I've actually found it a really useful tool to get me out of the house. Our nearest Pokestop is a good 7 or 8 minutes walk from the house, so by going out to spin one every day in all weathers I've ensured I've at least got a bit of fresh air now in these WFH times.

I just wish they'd unlock the rest of the regionals so we can wrap up the Hoenn and Sinoh dex.

Tomwe

Just been on a walk down to the sorting office for an underpaid postage item (thanks Brickowl) and done a bunch on the way. If you'd like to add me I'm tomwe on there: 5019 8282 4961.

I did the sneaky download as an Australian App Store back in 2016 & played off and on over the years. The adult friends who played back then have moved away but now there's parents of friends of my son and my kids themselves to play with.

Barrington Boots

Friend request sent! I'm Annoyus on there.

Most of my friends playing have given up as well, although I have a couple of hardcore mates still going. It's become harder to raid here - it used to be that you'd be able to just hang around by a 5 star raid and eventually a bucnh of other people would join in, all trying not to look at each other, but nowdays I rarely see other people playing. Interestingly I've not seen many children playing it: my neices and nephews all had a go at one point but gave up fairly quick.

sheridan

Friend request sent to Tomwe - Barrington and anybody else who'd like to add me, I'm 8282 2872 3093 - name will be obvious!

I work halfway between two gyms and can get to either of them without leaving my building, so that's how I spend my lunch hours as there's not much else to do!  One of the gyms sees a lot of competition (changes multiple times per hour on a typical day) while the other one can sometimes go overnight.