Main Menu

Evercade Console

Started by Link Prime, 26 June, 2020, 03:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Heard of this? Me neither, but I just read that a collection of some beloved Oliver Twins games are going to be released on it; https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/06/evercade_retro_system_to_receive_oliver_twins_collection_cartridge_all_profits_will_go_to_charity

It'll be a real nostalgic buzz playing some of those Dizzy games again, and I was impressed with the range of other cartridge collections also available.

Have just ordered the basic console pack for £60 on Amazon. Bargain.

IndigoPrime

I recently reviewed this for Stuff. The review will be in the next issue, but — spoiler — I did rather like it. The carts are a bit variable, mind. Personally, I thought the fighter ones were trash, because they were NES ports, but Atari #1 was pretty great, and the Namco #1 pack-in was solid. The big surprises were the Piko and Mega Cat collections though. Some really good new-old retro stuff on those.

moly

Got this for my birthday earlier this month, it's a really good piece of kit and the cartridges are very good value for money

Leigh S

The Immortal is very tempting

All they need to do is Ikari Warriors and Rastan....although the Commodaore 64 version of the former appears to be different to most versions, including the original arcade, and much better for it IMO?

IndigoPrime

The Piko cart, if nothing else, offers solid value, with its 20 games. Top Racer is excellent. Many of the platform games are great. Exploding Fist is an oddball, though — a really bizarre take on the original.

As for Ikari Warriors and Rastan, I'd probably hold off to see if they can get the arcade carts up and running next year. Right now, they'd be likely to go for NES ports, which would net you an OK Ikari Warriors. Rastan: I guess they could do the SMS version, which is pretty good, if not as good as the original. Whatever anyone does, avoid the Technōs cart, because it's bloody awful unless you're a BIG fan of NES brawlers.

(And, yeah, the C64 take on Ikari Warriors was pretty great, albeit very different from the arcade version.)

Link Prime

Just noticed that Evercade will be launching a VS console in November, prices starting at less than a ton; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evercade-VS-Retro-Starter-Pack/dp/B095Z17NFT/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=evercade+console&qid=1629808568&sr=8-3

I've been impressed with this overall, a great range of aneurysm-inducing-difficulty games available to *enjoy* all over again.

Link Prime

IndigoPrime

Depressing cart from my standpoint, mind. For me, Gremlin was all about the 8-bits: Monty Mole; Jack the Nipper; Trailblazer. And on Amiga, Lotus, Super Cars and Switchblade were tops.

Of the most recent announcements, Jaleco 2 most aligns with my likes – some quite good shooters and the excellent (if slow down prone) Rod Land. And Morphcat looks pretty solid too.

Link Prime

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 May, 2022, 04:10:22 PM
Depressing cart from my standpoint, mind. For me, Gremlin was all about the 8-bits: Monty Mole; Jack the Nipper; Trailblazer. And on Amiga, Lotus, Super Cars and Switchblade were tops.

They will surely release another volume - hopefully it ticks a few off your Gremlin wish-list.

As a complete aside - would you have any background knowledge on the commercial success or otherwise of the Evercade, IP?
I really dig what they are doing, and have even bought some cartridges I have little interest in just to support the endeavour.

IndigoPrime

For me, this cart scratches no retro itch. I don't like any of the games on it. As for inside info: nope. I've reviewed both units but that's it. I think we can infer from their existence (as in, that there was a follow-up) that sales must be at least OK. The ecosystem appears to have a strong following. It does appear, though, that the tendency is towards more obscure licenses. It's a pity there's no Namco Arcade or Taito Arcade cart.

Link Prime

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 May, 2022, 11:33:06 PM
The ecosystem appears to have a strong following.

Hoping to hear that.

Just seen some pre-orders for more new 'Arcade' cartridges on Amazon - you may get your wish at some stage.

moly

I have all the carts released so far for the evercade, but since getting the Amiga mini I don't play it very often

IndigoPrime

We've not used our Evercade much recently, but I do find the monthly freebie an interesting idea. (If you're not aware, you get a monthly indie game, which at some point will end up on a cart you'll be able to buy – a nice bonus.) Really, the VS needs some better multiplayer fare – or, at least, a bit more multiplayer fare.

moly

The new exp is up for pre order this week and they have announced it comes with 18 capcom games pre installed

Link Prime

Quote from: moly on 04 September, 2022, 11:07:40 AM
The new exp is up for pre order this week and they have announced it comes with 18 capcom games pre installed

I pre-ordered the EXP recently, looks the business.
New cartridges coming thick and fast too, and plenty of Amiga software on the horizon for 2023 apparently.

Worth noting that some of the old cartridges were discontinued this summer due to licencing lapses, so it's added a bit of collector frisson to my attempt to get em all.

Currently discontinued:

- Namco Collection 1
- Namco Collection 2
- Technos Collection 1
- Oliver Twins Collection