Main Menu

Dredd's real-time ageing?

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 10 April, 2021, 03:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Aye - that felt like a complete reboot, which was quite refreshing at the time. I didn't know it was a treatment until later.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Mikey

I'm OK with rejuve/cloning/gene therapy/stookie/bionics etc. but I do wonder would Dredd at any point decide he didn't want to carry on with being kept in 'street' condition? If he's at times had questions, felt beaten and weary, surely those times might at some juncture coincide with a rebuild/regrow/whatever.

I can see Justice Dept. deciding on his behalf of course, but a seriously ill or ill content Dredd wouldn't be as capable of his role.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

That's an interesting point. Dredd's body can go indefinitely because sci-fi, but his mind and spirit are another matter. Would Dredd be allowed/forced to retire? I can't see much mileage in a Citizen Joe strip, but you never know. Is the Long Walk still a thing? Tour of Duty gave me the impression it's more like the Strongly Chastised Earth Earth now, and our man Joe has kicked its pan in every time he's ventured out there anyway.

They could do a cool Game of Thrones ending where Dredd goes mental for no reason and destroys half the city, then he gets stabbed and they put a crippled Juve in charge.
You may quote me on that.

Link Prime

Quote from: Mister Pops on 13 April, 2021, 03:19:18 PM
They could do a cool Game of Thrones ending where Dredd goes mental for no reason and destroys half the city, then he gets stabbed by DeMarco and they put a crippled Juve Beeny in charge.

This thing writes itself.

My take on the topic; it almost feels like it's now too late to pull the lever.
Day of Chaos was already a decade ago.

Will we see a major status quo change for Dredd someday? Maybe.
Will it be written by Wagner? Getting more doubtful by the week.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Mister Pops on 13 April, 2021, 03:19:18 PM
...the Strongly Chastised Earth...

The Actually-Quite-Nice-These-Days Earth:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Bolt-01

sheridan

Here's a hot take - Dredd remains, kept alive by 22nd century technology, as a symbol of law and order in Mega-City One.  Over the years and decades the cult of Dredd grows until it unifies Earth against emerging threats from other systems and planes.  Dredd is kept alive for centuries, remaining a figurehead for humanity, though nobody can really know what goes on in that addles mind and body.  Yep, my hot take is that Dredd is the Emperor of Mankind from Warhammer 40K!

Bonus points if it can be fitted in to Termight chronology as well (let's face it, the 40K empire was mostly ripped off from Nemesis the Warlock anyway).

Funt Solo

As if Games Workshop would ever rip anything off - their Aelves and Ooaarks and Gahblinz bear no relation whatsoever to any differently spelled fantasy creatures.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Rara Avis

Sign me up for the first 1,000 progs Sheridan !

In one story there was a citizen who turned 150 - how old is Dredd now, 90 odd? So he could have at least another 50 years kicking ass and chewing gum. Then the only logical conclusion is that he's gotta end up in the big chair, he finally accepts Chief Judge. Dredd as Chief Judge dealing with all the office politics and political bull$hit he's avoided for years could make for some super interesting stories. He is mellowing over time (ish) so there could be entirely unforseen levels of character development. It's either that or a teaching post at the Academy.

IndigoPrime

Dredd's in his 70s, but looks about 20 years younger than other judges who've been featured around that age. Perhaps he dabbles in stookie on the side. Tsk.

Rara Avis

Only 70? I think this conversation is a bit premature ;)

The Legendary Shark

Aren't all the mega cities destroyed by the time of Strontium Dog? Maybe Justice Dept, and chosen citizens, go underground to survive and Dredd becomes Chief Judge of the Undercity complex (which I imagine as many old cities which were domed off in preparation for some grand reconstruction project that never happened).

For me, Judge Dredd is subtitled The Decline and Fall of Mega City One. Prog 2 saw MC1 at it's most glorious and impressive, from that point the only way was down. Under increasing speed and momentum. Dredd's pulling on the brakes with all his might - but the ultimate crash is inevitable. So why not crash straight through the floor into the Undercity and begin again as the ultimate isolationists? UnderMeg 1.

Heh. Weird notions like this is why I'll always be an amateur. Well, that, a lack of talent and an evasion to brewing many proofreading.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Rara Avis

When you mention the underground I had a mental flash of crocodile with a human head on it.

Maybe your calling in life is to be a muse Shark?

Rogue Judge

Eventually the only way to keep him alive will be to have Dredd's body merged a Mechanismo...becoming everything he hates, droid justice!

The Legendary Shark

Mutated Undercity fungus proves to be a powerful, abundant, and universal anti-agapic. But it makes anyone who uses it sterile.

Boom.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]