Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2022

Started by Dash Decent, 20 July, 2021, 01:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Coming to the prog in October:

Incredible SF action from the Eisner-nominated UK anthology! Judge Maitland has the means to reduce crime in Mega-City One in "The Pitch," and then Dredd has to deal with psychic warfare in "Buratino Must Die"; young survivor Zoe has a whole planet against her in "Enemy Earth"; Hershey finds Antarctic City has a serious drug problem in "The Cold in the Bones"; Mallory Hope descends further into magical Hollywood in Reel Two of "In the Shadows";  and a pair of psychopathic twins bring chaos in Chimpsky's Law: "A Terrifically Disturbing Adventure!"

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Coming to the meg in October:

More action and adventure in the future-shocked world of Judge Dredd! A brand-new line-up starts this issue - there's alien construction taking place in the Cursed Earth in Judge Dredd: "Babel"; a new threat could bring Judge Death out of his trap in "Death Metal Planet"; Zane Perks is given a mission out of the city in Surfer Book Two; Devlin Waugh digs into his past in "Karma Police"; and Psi-Judge Lillian Storm heads into the underworld in "Dead and Gone|; and in the bagged supplement this month former art editor Robin Smith reveals roughs and sketches behind some of 2000 AD's most iconic covers in the second exclusive collection of never-before-seen concept artwork!

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

sheridan

Wow!  That Robin Smith supplement looks like it'll be good!  I'm reminded of the rough for the Block Mania cover poster...

broodblik

Finn - Origins Webshop Exclusive Hardback (7 December):

IndigoPrime

I would say 'Slaine mashed into Icke – Origins' getting HC treatment might finally make Mills stop complaining, but given that every single scrap of it hasn't yet been reprinted, it probably won't.

Swerty

Quote from: broodblik on 27 July, 2022, 03:47:45 AM
Finn - Origins Webshop Exclusive Hardback (7 December):

Wow I'll be having that.Unbelievable
Is this a new ongoing Origins series?

Max Headroom

I have never read 'Finn' and know next to nothing about it. Could someone knowledgeable recommend or otherwise? If my fellow Squaxx deem it a worthwhile purchase, I will go for the Webshop exclusive hardcover.

nxylas

Quote from: Max Headroom on 27 July, 2022, 01:54:24 PM
I have never read 'Finn' and know next to nothing about it. Could someone knowledgeable recommend or otherwise? If my fellow Squaxx deem it a worthwhile purchase, I will go for the Webshop exclusive hardcover.
It's a spin-off from Third World War in Crisis. Whether I'd recommend it or not largely depends on your opinions on that strip. I know Uncle Pat is very proud of it, but it's not for everybody.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

third world war was right on and progressive and educative and idealistic and exciting and ezquerra.

finn, however, was the kind of presentation that most of the admirable third world war characters would have justly railed against.

sintec

Looks like that's the same content as the 1st Finn volume in the UC - which is less than half the price of the webshop edition! This does look nicer and of course your don't end up with the random slice of Hachette spine. In terms of content it's alright but I don't think it's Pat's best. ymmv depending how much anarcho-occultist vigilante takes on evil-corporations appeals. The repro in the UC was ok but suffered from moire in places.

Quote from: Swerty on 27 July, 2022, 01:21:08 PM
Is this a new ongoing Origins series?

I think it's just named based on one of the contained Finn stories. Rather than being an ongoing series of "Origins" books.

O Lucky Stevie!

It's curious how, when Pat began collaborating with an actual practioner of magick, the occult elements in the strips became so mundane. Tony Skinner was no Alan Moore or Grant Morrison. The Ickean stuff feels like low-hanging fruit  & as such a poor substitute for the Cythron cosmology of Slaine. The whole thing is achingly adolescent.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Max Headroom

Not exactly a ringing endorsement! Maybe I will save my pennies and give it a miss...

nxylas

I was being diplomatic, as I didn't want to put off someone who might actually enjoy it. But I concur with most of the opinions expressed since my last post. It does have its fans, but they tend to be pagans and/or people who agree with its politics, rather than people who are drawn in by the characters and story. Whereas even a non-pagan like myself can enjoy stuff like Slaine or the ABC Warriors.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Robin Low

Quote from: Max Headroom on 27 July, 2022, 01:54:24 PM

The title character is a man who (in the Third World War series) seduces a lonely young woman in order to plant a bomb inside the truck she's driving.

(It's been 30-something years - I'm more than prepared to acknowledge that I'm misremembering that...)

Regards,
Robin

Woolly

Yeah, Finn is an odd one. The actual idea behind it (magicky (with a k) eco-warrior / taxi driver takes on a modern version of the fomorians) is sound in my opinion, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

I still enjoyed it though, for what it's worth. It's faaaar from Pat's best, but it's certainly not his worst either.
Give it a spin, there's always Ebay if it's not for you!