Main Menu

Accident Man 2

Started by rogue69, 21 November, 2021, 06:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

Filming has begun on the sequel to Scott Adkin's 2018 film Accident Man based on Pat Mill's story
Scott Adkins will be back playing Mike Fallon, Ray Stevenson and Perry Benson are returning as assassins Big Ray and Finicky Fred. Accident Man 2 will also bring aboard Jackie Chan Stunt Team veteran Andy Long Nguyen as Oyumi (Nguyen will also serve as fight choreographer), along with martial artists Beau Fowler as Poco The Killer Clown and Sarah Chang as Wong Siu-ling.

https://screenrant.com/accident-man-2-sequel-news-updates-story-cast/?fbclid=IwAR0x__Khc1L0w4Y101aBIizVynvXKhnfZW3Lh_ibE6HmrA33gq0NJU8VkDI

GordonR

Great. Will Martin Emond be getting his rightful credit on this one, or will Accident Man again uniquely be a comic character created by two writers without the involvement of a comic artist?

IndigoPrime

But Gordon: surely with Mills's ongoing crusade about creator rights, in which he constantly slams Rebellion for any such issues, he couldn't have under any circumstances let it stand that Emond wasn't credited in the first film? And I can only assume if such a thing happened without his consent, he must have written blog posts about that grave injustice and won't have anything to do with sequels?

GordonR

I did directly ask Pat on social media about the lack of any credit for Martin and accompanying proper profit share for his family, and he replied with some weak shite about the producers not wanting too many names in the credits.

Of course. It seemed strange that the champion of only his own creator rights and originator of all those devastating Mills Bombs dropped on bullshit-spouting editors and publishers would meekly accept such an arrangement, but there you go.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: GordonR on 21 November, 2021, 08:03:44 PM
Of course. It seemed strange that the champion of only his own creator rights and originator of all those devastating Mills Bombs dropped on bullshit-spouting editors and publishers would meekly accept such an arrangement, but there you go.

'Uncle' Pat's championing of creators' rights has never extended to artists. You only have to look at his career and ask yourself how long any of his long-running strips would have lasted if he'd extended his own "no one works on this but me" position to his co-creators (the artists) to see that almost none of his creations would have got past the first series. It's abundantly apparent that he doesn't consider the artist an equal co-creator. I have a word for someone like that, and it's [spoiler]REDACTED[/spoiler].
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 November, 2021, 09:38:25 PM
Quote from: GordonR on 21 November, 2021, 08:03:44 PM

'Uncle' Pat's championing of creators' rights has never extended to artists. You only have to look at his career and ask yourself how long any of his long-running strips would have lasted if he'd extended his own "no one works on this but me" position to his co-creators (the artists) to see that almost none of his creations would have got past the first series. It's abundantly apparent that he doesn't consider the artist an equal co-creator. I have a word for someone like that, and it's [spoiler]REDACTED[/spoiler].

The fact that the artists do most of the heavy lifting in the majority of "Uncle Pat"s strips just makes it worse.
You may quote me on that.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: GordonR on 21 November, 2021, 08:03:44 PMhe replied with some weak shite about the producers not wanting too many names in the credits.
Comic book movies being famous for having short credits sequences, of course (to the degree they're often broken up by extra scenes).

Quote from: Mister Pops on 22 November, 2021, 12:30:15 AMThe fact that the artists do most of the heavy lifting in the majority of "Uncle Pat"s strips just makes it worse.
I'm part-way through the Mills section of a 2000AD UC re-read. It's quite revealing. Early Nemesis fizzes with ideas. Towards the end, though, it's very heavily reliant on Roach, Hicklenton and Flint to keep it going. ABC Warriors was the bigger surprise. I'd remembered enjoying a lot more of that than I did, but after The Black Hole it's already at the point where logic's gone out the window and character deaths are meaningless (unless they're [spoiler]Morrigun, who gets offed because girls or something[/spoiler]). The art is great, but given how Mills is always so adamant all his work should be collected, it's interesting that this strip really suffers from it, because you see that copy/paste of ideas starting really early on.

broodblik

In the world of comics great art can save poor writing but the reverse really works, my 2 cents if a writers wants to be credit for a movie the artists must be as well. Look at Walking Dead Charlie Adlard name is next to the writers
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 22 November, 2021, 08:59:53 AM
In the world of comics great art can save poor writing but the reverse really works, my 2 cents if a writers wants to be credit for a movie the artists must be as well. Look at Walking Dead Charlie Adlard name is next to the writers

All the more interesting as Charlie Adlard isn't even the original artist - I know there was some legal agreement in the end with Tony Moore the co-creator of the series - which shows how its acknowledged how much an artist brings to a series - even after the genesis.

Its something I know I'm terribly guilty of forgetting and there seems to be some embedded view by many that the writers roll is elevated and its something I'm trying to get better at.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 November, 2021, 09:38:25 PM
'Uncle' Pat's championing of creators' rights has never extended to artists.

On reflection, and to be fair, I don't think Mills has ever really claimed to be championing all creators' rights... I suspect his position is much more along the lines of "nothing's stopping other creators making the same kind of ruckus as me", but I still find myself wondering about an alternate timeline where Kev O'Neill did exactly that, vetoing Nemesis BkII and then getting to the end of BkIII and saying "Right, that's your lot. No one draws Nemesis but me, so it's over."

Richmond Clements

QuoteI did directly ask Pat on social media about the lack of any credit for Martin and accompanying proper profit share for his family, and he replied with some weak shite about the producers not wanting too many names in the credits.

IIRC, you even offered to put him in contact with the family... I'll go out on a limb here and guess he didn't take you up on it. 

A.Cow

Quote from: GordonR on 21 November, 2021, 06:42:14 PM
Great. Will Martin Emond be getting his rightful credit on this one, or will Accident Man again uniquely be a comic character created by two writers without the involvement of a comic artist?

But what precisely was Emond's contribution (as a creator)?  If it was purely the visual appearance then it must be noted that the characters in the movie look significantly different to those in Toxic!, which would certainly explain the apparent snub.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: A.Cow on 02 December, 2021, 12:46:28 AM
But what precisely was Emond's contribution (as a creator)?  If it was purely the visual appearance then it must be noted that the characters in the movie look significantly different to those in Toxic!, which would certainly explain the apparent snub.

That's not how it works. The IP exists to be adapted because of the creators. Creators get credited, regardless of how far the adaptation deviates from the original work, and in what respects.

Jim_Campbell

Footnote: I should add that that I don't think any of us has had sight of the contract Emond signed. It's possible that he was brought onto the project under work-for-hire terms by the writers,* in which case he wouldn't be entitled to a creator credit... although that would seem to be at odds with the entire "more equitable deal for the creators" ethos which was supposed to be one of Toxic's founding principles.

*More common than you might think. As I've mentioned before, take a look at the legal blurb of a lot of "creator owned" books and you'll find that a surprising number are "writer owned", meaning that everyone else is on WFH terms. "Creator owned" isn't a universal panacea for inequitable treatment of creators in comics... sometimes, it just changes the nature of who's doing the screwing.

GordonR

Quote from: A.Cow on 02 December, 2021, 12:46:28 AM
Quote from: GordonR on 21 November, 2021, 06:42:14 PM

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, do you?