Main Menu

Judge Dredd Miniatures Game Youtube Series

Started by The Bissler, 29 January, 2022, 05:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bissler

Hi all,

Later on this year, I plan on making a series of videos showcasing the Judge Dredd Miniatures Game in action. I'd want to tailor this best deliver what the community here would find most interesting to watch, so it would be great to get your thoughts on which of the 4 formats I'm currently chewing over you think you'd enjoy watching most:

1. "Real Play" video - i.e. film the whole game using hand held or tripod mounted cameras with a god's eye view of the action, including a camera on the dice tray, uploading it with minimal editing. This version would be the most game-focussed of the formats I'm considering.

2. "Narrative Gameplay" video - following the Strontium Dog series template as already established on my channel where the action is photographed and captions and speech bubbles are added to the photographs to give that feel of the strip. In addition, there would be references to the mission objectives, characters involved as well as including pics of the dice rolls, basically so as to provide some context to what is happening with the game mechanics as well. In other words, roughly 50% narrative, 50% about the game.

For anyone who's unfamiliar, here's an episode of the SD series with Middenface in action: https://youtu.be/-h5FS13_5ks

3. "Narrative Only" video - much the same as "Narrative Gameplay" video, except all of the references to the game, including pics of dice rolls etc, are removed and it is presented simply as a story, much as it would be in the prog (with the miniatures pics doing the job of the art).

4. "Immersive Narrative" video -  Exactly the same as the "Narrative only" video (no game references) except there is a narrator reading out the captions and voice actors playing the different characters and some sound effects added for gunshots, vehicles etc. This would be the most challenging and time consuming way to do it and I'd need to find members of the community willing to spend say 30 mins a month recording their dialogue on Discord. My youtube channel is not monetised so I'd be looking for people like myself who would be up for it simply for the love of Dredd and 2000AD. This is some months away from me getting to work on this, so I don't want anyone to be disappointed if they thought this was something that they could get involved with in the next 2 or 3 months, I'd expect it to be after that.

So, which would be of most interest to you? You can either pick one from format 1, 2, 3 or 4, or if you would like to rank them in order of preference from most to least preferred, that would be even more helpful! Thanks all!

Trooper McFad

Sounds a great idea.
Personally I'd like to see version 1 as I'm not gamer (just a painter) so it would be a good insight and possibly inspiration to cagoule my kids, who are both in their 20s to play along.

Good luck and I look forward to whatever you decide in doing.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

The Bissler

Cheers Trooper! That's actually the easiest option for me so that's definitely doable!

Leigh S

Could you mix and match?

So show some of the action as almost a "how to" with all the rules, but then narrative up the most compelling bits where the narrative elements of the mechanics shine through? 

The Bissler

Thanks Leigh, I feel that would fall under option 2, much in the same vein as Allan's SD reports, or is there something more in that format that you'd like to see tweaked? He does always show the dice rolls, cards played etc while trying to put as much emphasis as possible in replicating the feel of the strip and focussing on the storytelling.

Actually, if you're looking for a "How to" video and Trooper wants to show how his (grown up) kids how to play, then I could arrange to make a tutorial video first of all before making the reports.

Trooper McFad

The  "How to" sounds a great idea. I always like to see how things are done rather than just read the rules. It always makes it clearer in my mind.

The Bissler

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 30 January, 2022, 04:59:46 PM
The  "How to" sounds a great idea. I always like to see how things are done rather than just read the rules. It always makes it clearer in my mind.

Hey Trooper, apologies I didn't answer sooner! I've recently been upgrading my gadgets for filming recently, but yes, thanks to your suggestion, this will be the first thing I do! I can't promise how quickly it'll come around, but it definitely will be top of the list for when I start doing things for JD!

The Bissler

I thought some of you may be interested in this unboxing video which shows the terrain set I'll be using (plus some of my collection of JD miniatures with the terrain towards the end of the video).

https://youtu.be/oWElHh-3epk

The Bissler

Actually Trooper, I just spotted that Warlord made some video guides about how to play the game. They have made it more to the point and with better production values than I could.

Core Rules: https://youtu.be/onycLT6srns
Shooting: https://youtu.be/jw1NEkhrWVU

Because Warlord have already done it, rather than making an out and out how to guide, I'm going to record a couple of sessions and we'll make a point of also explaining how the game works during play. The more I think about it, the more I think by showing the game in action, it might make learning how to play a bit easier.

The Bissler

Ha! Foiled again! I think this will be very helpful to you Trooper!

https://youtu.be/N2E6ylI2FRs

Trooper McFad

Quote from: The Bissler on 03 March, 2022, 11:49:00 PM
Ha! Foiled again! I think this will be very helpful to you Trooper!

https://youtu.be/N2E6ylI2FRs

Thanks Bissler that was interesting and makes it a bit clearer- 👍🏻

The Bissler

No bother - I'm hoping to have my first report up in a few week's time. It'll be a similar format to that last video, falling under the "Option 1" umbrella. Later on in the year, I'll start making some "Option 2" videos - there was a lot more feedback on the various Facebook groups that this was the overall preferred format.

Green Lynx

I would love this!

I'm both incredibly happy and ashamed to say that I have bought every miniature available for the game (including the vehicles and hab-zone), but they're all still in the boxes because a) I can't paint and haven't plucked up the courage to go out and buy paints, nor can I find any decent painting guides, and b) I literally have nobody to play with!

I bought the starter set and a few extras purely on impulse without realizing that I kinda need to make a terrain landscape that looks even slightly like MC1, so the game is staring at me and saying and "Now what, dumbass?"

If there were a series of videos (or even a community of players on here), it will hopefully give me the kick up the arse I need to actually play the damn thing!

The Bissler

Apologies for failing to spot your message until now Green Lynx - and thank you for the encouraging words!

Please don't feel bad about having unpainted minis - all tabletop gamers talk about their "pile of shame" so I feel your pain! To help you tackle it, this channel on YouTube is excellent for painting guides for the minis: https://youtube.com/c/smallworldgames

I'm running the game tomorrow but it might be a few weeks before the report goes live because I have so much on the slate at the moment - but I can really recommend you check out the Strontium Dog: The Killing videos on my channel - the Judge Dredd Miniatures Game uses the same rules as the Strontium Dog Miniatures Game so those are just as useful. While my pal Allan who creates these reports (I just convert his pics into a video format) likes to recreate the look and feel of the strip in them, he also photographs dice results and captions them all, so after you watch a few Bouts, you should know the basics of the rules! Please see the other thread here on the forum under games for all the links to the Strontium Dog videos!

I'd also recommend checking out Facebook for the 2000AD miniatures game groups because there's a great and very friendly community there where you will find inspiration and advice!

If there's anything else I can help with, please give me a shout!

Barrington Boots

I second the recommendation for Bissler's SD videos, they're a cool watch.
Definitely don't worry about having unpainted models. Just give the game a go and have some fun with it!
You're a dark horse, Boots.