Main Menu

Where to buy PS5

Started by Magnetica, 06 March, 2022, 05:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

Much to my surprise we have decided to buy a PS5 for the family.

Only problem is it seems to be out of stock everywhere.

Apart from some on Amazon for circa £300 to £400 above list price.

Does anyone have any advice on how to actual buy one? (I'm after the Standard Edition, not the Digital Edition).

MumboJimbo

You could follow a Twitter account like @PS5StockAlertUK that notifies when various UK retailers get new stock drops.

Also, Discord is another thing that people use, but I don't know how to do that, personally.

The Enigmatic Dr X

stockinformer.co.uk.

Sign up for their discord.  They message when stock is available. It's free, reliable and how I got one
Lock up your spoons!

Magnetica

So I ended up getting a Switch instead.

I have seen a review saying it's not as powerful as PS4 but as I'm upgrading from a PS2, it all seems great to me.

My son was worried that Star Wars: the Skywalker Saga wouldn't be as good on here as PS5, but frankly I don't see how much different it could be.

My daughter only wanted Animal Crossing and Mario, so she is happy.

And a feature, I had completely ignored, I think will actually turn out to be a game changer for me, is playing in hand held mode whilst others watch TV.

And what is way better that other hand held devices, is it's the same version of the game as the console, and the same instance of your game (i.e. it is literally the same).

Quick question: I see you can get a GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas triple pack for Switch, with upgraded graphics and a different targeting mechanism. Question is, is it worth it, or should I stick with the PS2 versions?

MumboJimbo

Quote from: Magnetica on 22 April, 2022, 09:46:05 AM

Quick question: I see you can get a GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas triple pack for Switch, with upgraded graphics and a different targeting mechanism. Question is, is it worth it, or should I stick with the PS2 versions?

At launch those GTA ports were a shitty, buggy mess lacking the atmosphere of the originals. I think they've improved a bit since then, but the frame rate, on the Switch in particular, is appalling. If you're lucky enough to have the PS2 originals, I'd say stick with them.

Colin YNWA

And a feature, I had completely ignored, I think will actually turn out to be a game changer for me, is playing in hand held mode whilst others watch TV.

And car trips. The Switch has been a revalation in our house and its mobility is just a joy. The boychild has moved onto a laptop on for a lot of his gaming but we still return to the Switch pretty regularly and its before a must for long journeys as well.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Magnetica on 22 April, 2022, 09:46:05 AMMy son was worried that Star Wars: the Skywalker Saga wouldn't be as good on here as PS5, but frankly I don't see how much different it could be.
Mm. There's a lot of tech like that, where it feels like diminishing returns unless you count polygons or have your nose pressed right up to the display. The Switch is fine – good, even – unless you're desperate to dig into the finest of details within games. It's hardly like the difference between a C64 and an Amiga, say.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Plus, frankly, the Nintendo games are a joy. They're less about grind and obscure challenge and more about having fun.

We're big fans of Mario Party here. They whole family plays!
Lock up your spoons!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 22 April, 2022, 01:04:57 PM
We're big fans of Mario Party here. They whole family plays!

That is a great game indeed. We love it.

Link Prime

Quote from: MumboJimbo on 22 April, 2022, 10:03:09 AM

At launch those GTA ports were a shitty, buggy mess lacking the atmosphere of the originals. I think they've improved a bit since then, but the frame rate, on the Switch in particular, is appalling. If you're lucky enough to have the PS2 originals, I'd say stick with them.

The patch updates must have done their job - the PS4 (via PS5) versions look and play great.