Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - The Dead vs. Journal of Luke Kirby Rd 4 Heat 27

Started by Colin YNWA, 26 July, 2022, 06:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Final week of Round 4 and Round 5 beckons. As ever some interesting match ups, but again this feels like a week when some 'weaker' thrills will end their runs and Round 5 will have unbelievably tough calls, not that Round 4 hasn't but the quality will just keep ranking up and up as we go on.

Not quite sure how to call this one. Not exactly different, well if anything could be said not to be different from The Dead, both high concept pieces. Will the diminishing returns  - which I don't necessarily hold to - that are often thrust upon Luke K cost him here. The Dead is well suited to its done and gone nature.

Form book:

The Dead - Tharg's Dragon Tales; Zombo; Lobster Random
Journal of Luke Kirby - Bye; -    Armitage; Amazing Maze Dumoir

The Dead - more info

Vs

Journals of Luke Kirby - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Friday 29th July and the winner gets a place in Round 5 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

Difficult as a big fan of both of these - on balance Luke Kirby.

AlexF

Think it's John Ridgway's art that swings it for me. Belardinelli is a master of the bizarre, but Ridgway does 'young boy in mortal peril' like no one else can.
Also, for all the talk of Luke Kirby being an overlooked Harry Potter type story, I wonder lately if it doesn't have more in common with a more recent pop culture phenomenon, namely Stranger Things.

Anyway, I'm votin' Luke Kirby.

Magnetica

IndigoPrime

I re-read The Dead recently in the UC. It's good, but in all honesty it's not great. It feels very much of its era – perhaps even earlier – in terms of the storytelling, even if the basic premise remains solid (along with the excellent art). Just Summer Magic would be enough for me to put Kirby through, but I like the entire run, so: Luke Kirby.

Aaron A Aardvark

rogue69

credo

Books 1 and 2 of Luke Kirby are utterly brilliant. Wouldn't it be great to see a TV adaptation of this thrill?

Richard

Quote from: credo on 26 July, 2022, 11:46:41 AM
Books 1 and 2 of Luke Kirby are utterly brilliant. Wouldn't it be great to see a TV adaptation of this thrill?
I think an audience used to Stranger Things would find it a bit time by comparison.

Not that The Dead would be easy to adapt for tv either, of course. But I think The Dead is by far the more original story, and I love the bleakness of it, and the weird art, and everything about it really. It stands out as one of the best and quirkiest series of the decade, and even of the whole 45 years of the prog.

Southstreeter

The Dead. I struggle to remember the detail, but I recall loving its weirdness. Luke Kirby is fine too though, so happy also to see it go through.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++