Main Menu

The Battle of Britain Special - BATTLE PICTURE WEEKLY

Started by 73north, 15 September, 2020, 07:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Bolt-01

That's Jack Davies, seen in FQP and coming soon to the new Zarjaz, too.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 08 October, 2020, 06:16:33 PM
That's Jack Davies, seen in FQP and coming soon to the new Zarjaz, too.

WHOOOOOORRRRRREEEEE!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: broodblik on 08 October, 2020, 02:49:06 PM
Major Easy by John McCrea

...Although he really needs to get that muzzle out of the dirt!

broodblik

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 October, 2020, 09:24:17 AM
Quote from: broodblik on 08 October, 2020, 02:49:06 PM
Major Easy by John McCrea

Oh No !!! Do not let the corporal see that
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 21 September, 2020, 12:22:44 PM
I ordered the fancy cover from the webshop and got the other one, which was disappointing but not enough to do more than make a passive-aggressive comment here about it.

Same here. A little disappointing so I fired of an e-mail from my order receipt which of course bounced back a couple of days later (???) as its a 'No reply' e-mail. By which time I'd realised it was worth the fuss and didn''t feel fair to demand a replacement and so moved quickly on.

ANYWAY to the comic itself. I've heard some complaining about the price but JEZ at £7.99 this is a beast. It just keeps coming and coming and coming. With all the little text feature, many very good, it really did feel like an annual of old. At least in content. And while the anything with this much content is going to be a bit variable overall its a blast.

Lets get the bad out the way. Wasn't a big fan of the 'funny' strips. Feel out of context. Mind I'll come back to that. Also thought 'Lofty' was pretty weak. It lurched rather than rattled along.

The middle ground was owned by an okay resurrection of El Mestizo and a Snipper Elite story that looked great but really didn't do that much.

Before we get to the really good there's a great reprint in Vultures which was superb old school stuff.  Doiuble Hero with lovely Ian Kennedy art and a good true yarn and Scourge of the Skies a similar short history piece with lush Patrick Goddard art.

The rest is pretty damned good. Bravo, Black Lion is solid and hard hitting. Rat Pack is cheekly fun as is Gustav of the Bearmacht , these two making nice thematic book ends.

The abolute highlights for me Face of the Enemy a great little reflection on story and children's enduring engagement with lovely art by someone I'm not familar with Davide Fabbri. War Child which made a good point well with lush atmospheric art to make it swell in dramatic intent. Finally Destroyer which even putting aside PJ Holden's great art it manages in just a few pages to catch much of the power and impact of his glorious GN (with Garth Ennis) Stringbags. Its superb.

The thing that really strikes me is the tone of this really swings around. From the obviously comic. To the old school action yarns. To the more modern, apparently 'woke', I'd go thoughtful insightful pieces. Yet even for that it holds together and feels cohesive. Great stuff overall.

Richard

I think the variety you described in your last paragraph is one of its strengths. It's an anthology, it's supposed to be varied.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 05 October, 2020, 10:10:08 AM
Yeah - Patrick certainly has the artistic quality to deliver.

By happy coincidence, Patrick's Inktober offering today certainly supports that. Find him on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook and check it out.

Richard S.

I've worked out a list of all 'Battle' branded content that Rebellion have published...if you like that sort of thing then check it out :) cheers

https://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/2020/11/updated-battle-from-rebellion.html
For 2,500+ other posts about all aspects of British comics then why not check out my blog at
https://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/

Follow me on twitter @richardandsheaf

Tjm86

Quote from: broodblik on 09 October, 2020, 09:31:20 AM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 October, 2020, 09:24:17 AM

Oh No !!! Do not let the corporal see that

Blood, Aye.  Mind you, not a problem with the SA80.  Still miss the SLR.

oshii

Quote from: Richard on 04 October, 2020, 01:44:46 PM
Pat Mills could write a new episode of Charley's War for it. Who should be the artist?

Chris Weston would be amazing.

Richard

He certainly would! His black and white art on Slaine last year was fantastic.

Professor Bear

Sorting the artist for new Charley's War stories is probably not going to be the hard part.