Main Menu

Conspiracy Theory Debate

Started by Funt Solo, 10 April, 2020, 07:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

.... like I say, Occam's razor ...

milstar

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 05 March, 2021, 08:59:33 PM
As for me, I watched a documentary that showed fairly comprehensively how it could easily have been a lone gunman.  Still wondering, though: what makes you say AIDS is a 'perfect' virus?

Oops. I missed this reply.
Perfect, as if incurable. People catch cold all the time as we haven't developed immunity for it. But AIDS/HIV (whatever name you prefer) is something else. Not even so many years, scientists haven't figured its incredibly complex code. The only solution however,is  if you go on bone marrow transplations.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: milstar on 06 March, 2021, 09:25:27 AMBut AIDS/HIV (whatever name you prefer) is something else. Not even so many years, scientists haven't figured its incredibly complex code.

OK, at the risk of being suckered by some expert trolling... do you see how you're disproving your own theory here?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

milstar

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 March, 2021, 10:16:45 AM
Quote from: milstar on 06 March, 2021, 09:25:27 AMBut AIDS/HIV (whatever name you prefer) is something else. Not even so many years, scientists haven't figured its incredibly complex code.

OK, at the risk of being suckered by some expert trolling... do you see how you're disproving your own theory here?

I don't think I gave reason for trolling here. I said that scientists after so many years haven't deduced its code, which is true. That gives me the reason more why I believe that the virus is manifactured. Or you think that scientific mysteries apply to nature only? Human actions can be equally mysterious as well. Yep.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

JayzusB.Christ

So scientists can manufacture it without understanding its composition?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

milstar

Scientists who knew what they were doing, obviously. If the word "scientist" can be applied here. Like covid situation.

JayzusB.Christ

I'm trying, but I can't understand how you can simultaneously believe that nobody has worked out how the AIDS virus is composed, but they can still compose it in a lab.  Never mind; I'll head off and read other threads about comics for a bit.

The Legendary Shark

I'm not sure that the AIDS "code" has not been deduced. There seems to be quite a lot of information here, for example.

Also, there are some interesting aspects to AIDS, one of which is The Secret of HIV Immunity Among Kenyan Sex Workers. (This article was 10 years ago and I'm not up to date, so this may have come to nothing.)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

wedgeski

Quote from: milstar on 05 March, 2021, 07:20:33 PMAnd they distinctly said that majority of Americans don't believe the version they've been served.
This is a shaky standard by which to judge anything at all, honestly.

wedgeski

Quote from: milstar on 06 March, 2021, 10:48:17 AM
Scientists who knew what they were doing, obviously. If the word "scientist" can be applied here. Like covid situation.
I believe the phrase you're looking for is "so-called scientists".

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 March, 2021, 10:38:09 AM
So scientists can manufacture it without understanding its composition?

See, I can buy that a mad scientist or labful of same could come up with some never-before-seen fiendish new weapon/virus/adrenochrome, my problem is believing that an entire planetful of other less-mad scientists, given the evidence of said contrivance's existence and years/decades couldn't reverse engineer and duplicate/counter it. Science just doesn't allow the unrepeatable act of unique genius.  It's the Super-serum/Pym-particles/Web-fluid/spore-drive problem: within 4 years of Hiroshima, the Soviets had the bomb too.

Woolly

Quote from: milstar on 06 March, 2021, 09:25:27 AM
People catch cold all the time as we haven't developed immunity for it...

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I always thought the cold virus was one which could rapidly mutate and spread, meaning that each and every cold virus an individual catches is a variant?
The symptoms of the common cold are mainly an over-reaction of the bodies defences - that's the only thing that over-the-counter cold & flu remedies address.

Again, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Tjm86

Sorry but I feel like I now need to check on how we are defining 'conspiracy theories' since the "Iran-Contra Affair" has now been cited as a conspiracy that is believed. 

Now granted conspiracy charges were brought against Olly North et al as a result of their actions.  That said, to the best of my knowledge it has always been cited as an example of American ineptitude and over-reaching.

I'd have to say the same of Gulf War 2.  The political motives for the second invasion have always been questioned.  Is it an example of a 'conspiracy' though or is it simply that politicians have become so untrustworthy that it is almost impossible to believe what they tell us?

On the other hand the theory that there is a secret organisation working out of the basement of a Washington DC pizza parlour to groom and harvest children for a cabal of wealthy and influential individuals ... Now that strikes me far more as a conspiracy theory.  (also bugf*** crazy, but hey ho ...)

Funt Solo

Well, the term conspiracy theory has its own specific meaning, relating to outlandish beliefs, without reliable evidence about events that have usually less exciting explanations.

A theory about a conspiracy is a different thing entirely.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
conspiracy theory noun
/kənˈspɪrəsi θɪəri/
/kənˈspɪrəsi θiːəri/, /kənˈspɪrəsi θɪri/
the belief that a secret but powerful
organization is responsible for an event
•They sought to account for the fatal crash
in terms of a conspiracy theory.
•A lot of people subscribe to the
conspiracy theory.