Main Menu

Doomwatch!

Started by Ancient Otter, 16 April, 2013, 11:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancient Otter

Not to sully the the Science is Drokking Fantastic thread & muddy the Politics thread with stuff that may be considered off topic, I propose a new thread with stuff along the lines of Warren Ellis grim meathook future links. Starting off:

Monsanto buys leading bee research firm after being implicated in bee colony collapse

Plant science skills gap warning

Antarctic summer ice melting 10 times faster: study

Mass sea lion strandings baffle California

EU lawmakers reject plan to make polluters pay more

Ghastly McNasty

Spikes

Ah, i thought this thread might have been about the old BBC series...

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Judge Jack on 19 April, 2013, 06:50:57 PM
Ah, i thought this thread might have been about the old BBC series...

I've never seen it but I am aware of it from the Cult TV series the BBC showed a few years ago and from the SFX 50 best TV shows list they from even farther back. Totally nicked the title this thread!

On Youtube if anyone wants to watch it. Here's the first part of the first episode.

Mardroid

Quote from: Ghastly McNasty on 18 April, 2013, 10:30:50 PM
Friends reunion 'will happen'

I like this tenuous link in the article:
"Her prediction comes on the same day that the remake of 'Evil Dead' has been released in cinemas."

judgefloyd

Doomwise downunder, we're looking at the completely awful Tony Abott becoming PM despite being objectively the worst possible choice for the job.  Apart from general right-wing frightfulness, he's actively hostile to anything related to reducing carbon emissions* (I think that, like his mentor John Howard, he sees climate change as soley a cultural issue).

No link because Abott is a lot less photogenic than stranded seals

*yes, I know the politics thread is that way

michael kennedy

as if the veromites weren't the doing the job

Proudhuff

Its really is this kind of stuff that SHOULD be headlining the news, or even better replacing sports at the end (you want sports and a grown man spreaming Incomprehensibly ?  watch a sports channel!)
DDT did a job on me

Ancient Otter

michael kennedy

incredibly cute story but still an issue if wild animals have to domesticate themselves for nourishment.

At 120 degrees, it was so hot in Australia that Koalas were asking people for water, something that's never been seen before.

One Koala entered someone's house, looking for water and shade, and here's what happened when the owner gave him something to drink.

Theblazeuk