Main Menu

Batman in Weegeeville!

Started by Proudhuff, 25 February, 2020, 02:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

IndigoPrime

Oh, good grief. How many Batmen do we need? When did Affleck pass the torch in film as well?

Gary James

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 25 February, 2020, 04:03:38 PMHow many Batmen do we need?
Only the one - Adam West.

Although I have a fondness for Kevin Conroy's portrayal, West will always be the definitive Batman as far as I'm concerned.

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 25 February, 2020, 04:03:38 PMWhen did Affleck pass the torch in film as well?
"Health issues" apparently. What Private Eye describes as being 'tired and emotional.'

There's a great quote of Kevin Smith's about the role:
QuoteI'll take it one step further, it doesn't take talent at all to work in the movie business," Smith says in the special. "You think it takes talent to stand there on a movie set and say 'I'm Batman'? Ben Affleck does it so I know it don't take f—king talent.

M.I.K.

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 25 February, 2020, 04:03:38 PM
Oh, good grief. How many Batmen do we need? When did Affleck pass the torch in film as well?

They're not the heroes we need but the ones we deserve, (or something).

I still say Robert Pattinson needs to be Johnny Alpha.

Gary James

Quote from: M.I.K. on 28 February, 2020, 01:18:28 PMThey're not the heroes we need but the ones we deserve, (or something).
If this is the Batman we deserve, then we'll get Rave!Joker, whose every appearance is punctuated by techno beats, Pattinson will yell "I'm the goddamn Batman" at some point, and Poison Ivy will give us a lecture on equality.

Rately

I'm certainly interested in seeing what Matt Reeves does with the movie.

Still amazes me that we've not had a proper, full-on adaptation of Batman Year One. You could surely do it near shot-for-shot, and still come away with a pretty damn good movie.

TordelBack

I dunno, outside of the main set-pieces a lot of Year One hinges on Bruce and Jim's complementary internal monologues. You'd need quite a bit of fiddling about to avoid the ol' Harrison Ford VO route.

Gary James

Quote from: Rately on 28 February, 2020, 01:54:33 PMStill amazes me that we've not had a proper, full-on adaptation of Batman Year One.
Darren Aronofsky tried to make it happen, with Frank Miller as screenwriter no less. A remarkably good animated adaptation already exists, so it is unlikely that anyone has a strong urge to do a live-action version as well.

Rately

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 February, 2020, 07:37:22 PM
I dunno, outside of the main set-pieces a lot of Year One hinges on Bruce and Jim's complementary internal monologues. You'd need quite a bit of fiddling about to avoid the ol' Harrison Ford VO route.

I suppose so. What works on the printed page may not translate to the screen.

Rately

Quote from: Gary James on 28 February, 2020, 08:27:24 PM
Quote from: Rately on 28 February, 2020, 01:54:33 PMStill amazes me that we've not had a proper, full-on adaptation of Batman Year One.
Darren Aronofsky tried to make it happen, with Frank Miller as screenwriter no less. A remarkably good animated adaptation already exists, so it is unlikely that anyone has a strong urge to do a live-action version as well.

That would have been a hell of a movie if Aronofsky had got to direct. I seem to recall it caused controversy because it cast Alfred as a black man.

Had not been aware of the animated adaption, but thanks for the tip and I will definitely be checking that out when time permits.

Read that Glynn Dillon has designed the new Batsuit for the movie! Checked his twitter and it is indeed true, so will be interesting to see the art book when it comes out and we get to see Glynn's work.