Previous topic - Next topic

Dodsy

Is Wagner in Leeds?  If so I must hunt him down tomorrow
Twitter - @dodsy84

CrazyFoxMachine

Brilliant day! Lots of New faces and friendly folk - to the after
party!

Colin YNWA

Fantastic day. Alas lost track of folk before the met up for a meal, though probably for the best as busy day tomorrow. Great to catch up with so many lovely people. Hope every has a fantastic time and look forward to the next one already.

SuperSurfer

Hope everyone is having a great time. Really wish I could've made it but totally out of the question. As well as seeming forum folk, the icing on the cake would've been my only chance to get a Mondo Dredd poster.

COMMANDO FORCES

By the way Judge Minty was absolutely stunning. None of you will believe what is coming your way. One word review from John Wagner 'BRILLIANT'

Steve Green

Glad the cast and crew enjoyed it - nice to be able to start to share it.

Bat King

I saw John earlier on in the day and told him he'd enjoy it!
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Colin YNWA

Arh alas this is why its was a good job the night didn't drag on. 5.30 in the morning and dealing with poo!

Anyway you lot don't need to know that. Had a fantastic day. Only downer (well aside from one which I'll post elsewhere) was I unfortunately missed the 2000ad, but that was so I could get a Henry Flint sketch, so well worthwhile. That aside during the day had a load of brief but very enjoyable chat with lots of board members as I pottered around, hope Owen showed Matt his stuff and you really should all see the stuff that 'Chief' gets its quite brilliant. There was loads of wonderful looking stuff there and the atmosphere, for what is now a very big UK con is great.

Had chats and got stuff signed by loads of very friendly comic folk, a couple of highlights include buying a long dreamed of Dante page from the incredibly friendly Simon Fraser (later getting a fantastic Tharg sketch as well), watching Simon Davis 'sketch' with water colours and a very intriguing chat with The Wirral's own Dave Taylor. Much more beside and I got a drink bought by John Wagner... well kinda...

Hope to get a chance to put up pictures of my haul at some point and hope all the folk who are there still today had a great night last night and continue to have fun today as well... now then back to the source of that poo...

Dandontdare

Well what a terrific day. Met up with lots of old friends, attended a few interesting talks and panels and best of all, managed to sneak a place in the cast & crew screening of Minty (huge thanks to the two Steve's for that!) It was the most awesome thing I have ever seen - really professionally done, great SFX and a superb performance by Edmund Dehn in the lead, who I also got to meet, what a nice chap. Mr Wagner was there and gave it his seal of approval, and I couldn't get the dopey grin off my face for hours. All followed by the obligatory Chinese buffet and a couple of beers. Just a shame I had to leave to get my train, but I went home one very happy geek with a bag full of comics that will take me days to get through.

A few pics:

This  Red Skull was genuinely scary:

The 2000ad panel, wonderfully hosted by Iz and Stacey, who despite attempts to keep it family friendly couldn't prevent BlueMeanie's question (natch) degenerating into a discussion of Jesus' penis:

Judge Court goes over to the dark side...

In the pub with Bolt-01, Uncle Fester, Colin MacNeil, Kerrin, Richmond, Lady Festina and Dunk. Note how we've managed to clear the room with our geek-talk:

Roll on Cardiff 2013!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dandontdare on 18 November, 2012, 01:03:47 PM
In the pub with Bolt-01, Uncle Fester, Colin MacNeil, Kerrin, Richmond, Lady Festina and Dunk. Note how we've managed to clear the room with our geek-talk:

Bah. A selection of some of my favourite people from Cons past all at the same table and I was chained to my desk lettering.

Cardiff. Definitely Cardiff.

Bah!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jon

Worth experiencing for the avant garde dance moves alone.

Albion

That was a zarjaz weekend.

Great to see old friends and also some new.
Chatted to some awesome creators and also got a few very nice sketches, I'll try and post them on here as soon as I can. There were a couple of more I would have liked to have got but I didn't want to join the very long queues. Some folk are more dedicated to that sort of thing than I am I guess.

Got a few books to read now too.  :D

Always fun to see the cosplay people but the best for me where the cardboard Dredd costumes. Hopefully someone will post a pic of those as I didn't take any. They were awesome.

The highlight for me was, of course, Judge Minty. It is.........stunning.

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Steve Green

Finally back - tired but happy.

Had a great time, but between Minty and doing the photographer thing with the Judges didn't have much time to do much else.

Glad people enjoyed Minty, we just need to sort out a bunch more conventions/festivals to show it...

Pete Wells

Yurp, a lovely couple of days for me and a cracking haul to share with you lot!

When I arrived I helped Judge Stewart to get ready (he has trouble doing his laces by himself, bless him) and got talking to a lad dressed as Batman. I asked how hot it got under his cowl and if his sweat split the mask and he let me into a bat secret that shook me to the core! Beneath the cowl, stuck to the forehead bit, he has a sanitary towel!!! I can see the Bodyform ads now... You can swim, dance, ride a bike and fight cowardly, superstitious criminals any time of the month!

While Judge Stewart was on patrol, I met Burdis and my pal John Wagner (who was queueing like common folk to get into the con, disgusting!) He gave CF a very rare Judge Dredd soap which was wafted under the nose of the mighty Judge Stewart! Burdis gave me a lovely Christmas bauble which will proudly be displayed this year!

My first buy of the day was a very special Mondo Dredd poster from the marvellous Jock, check this out Gavin 'So-Called' Leahy:

What? You didn't see it? Here's a close up (check out Chopper flying past too):

The 2000AD panel was next and was an X-rated joy, so hat's off to Iz and Stacey (Future Mrs Wells) Whittle for doing a grand job there.

The evil Kerrin and Colin YNWA then FORCED me to begin drinking and much of the afternoon was spent in the bar. In there I got to chat with Gordon Rennie (initially terrifying, then actually very nice,) Lee Carter and again, John 'Pete's Mate' Wagner.

Later I got this cracking Mongo from Defoe from Leigh Gallagher:

I got to see many fine boarders and friends during the day, including Albion, Bolt, Richmond, Dodsy and Mrs Dodsy, Owen Crazyfox, the Festers, DDD, Guy, Dale and many more...

Onto the evening and I got to go out on a date* with Iz McAuliffe. We went to the pictures to see Judge Minty which absolutely blew our tights off! Honestly folks, for those who haven't seen it yet, it's a wonderful, wonderful movie. Hat's off and a GIANT thank you to the two Steve's who really should be getting KTT's for their outstanding efforts. The visual effects are absolutely incredible and when Edmund delivers the lines from the comic about a judge getting old and having strange notions, the hairs on your neck will absolutely stand on end. I will say no more other than to repeat the wise summation of John Wagner - "Brilliant!"

*I tried to cop off with her, she was having none of it, though she was struggling.

After the film, a euphoric crowd went for a lovely meal(s) where Edmund regaled us with annecdotes in his wonderful, actOR voice. After that it was on to another pub to meet up with Colin MacNeil, Dunk and others for more beer and chat.

Day 2

This was sketch day for me and I got a wonderful selection. The first was this superb Dredd from Lawrence Campbell, he did it with a big, fat brush and it blew my tiny mind when it all the big, black splodges came together at the end...

Next up, this brilliant, brilliant Judge Death eating a Greggs pasty by the best Death artist out there, Mr Conor Boyle. Honestly, I beam every time I look at this!:

The next 'sketch' is by Simon Davis who is the owner of the most brilliant mustache you will ever, ever see. I asked him for a Mean Machine as I don't think he's ever done him and I KNEW he'd do a great job. He didn't disappoint, wow!

My last sketch of the day was by Simon Fraser. Following his outstanding Prog 2011 cover (Tharg sky surfing) I knew I wanted a Chopper sketch from him. Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch check it out, as a Beastie boy once said:

Next week I'm buying a very special piece of artwork from Simon, I'll tell you more when I have it!

In all, a wonderful weekend with genuinely fabulous people. I love you guys and I love this board, simple as that! Thank you to all who made it so great!

Andy_Lee

Thought Bubble was ace! You want pics? I got pics...

Cardboard Judge

2012-11-18-13h29m16 by Andy Lee - ★☆☆☆☆, on Flickr

Junior Joe Dredd

2012-11-18-14h55m15 by Andy Lee - ★☆☆☆☆, on Flickr

Judges Stewart & Court

2012-11-18-13h57m34 by Andy Lee - ★☆☆☆☆, on Flickr

Judge Anderson (good job she couldn't really tell what I was thinking)

2012-11-18-13h59m38 by Andy Lee - ★☆☆☆☆, on Flickr

Full set is here

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjCTdTwK