Main Menu

Dredd's vices...

Started by chilipenguin, 26 November, 2009, 12:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chilipenguin

Hey. Was just wondering if Dredd and the other Judges drink/smoke at all. My knowledge of day to day life the MC1 is limited at best and I'm not sure if they are allowed or if alcohol even features in the strips...

JOE SOAP

Judge Cassidy

IIRC, smoking and alcohol are not permitted in Mega City One. Other countries are more lax; Judge Sergeant Joyce of the Murphyville Judges drinks synthi-stout (Guinness) and is married. He offers to take Dredd out for a pint when they first meet, Dredd's response is, "A DRINK? Are you trying to be funny?!"
In this city, Justice comes at a price- that price is FREEDOM!

Trout

Simple answer: Dredd is a stickler.

chilipenguin

Cheers for the quick responses guys. Just that I have an idea for a future shock based around a bar but set in Dredd's world. Might have to relocate it to one of the other  cities. Haven't really plotted it out yet anyway.

Roger Godpleton

Most judges aren't allowed vices, but there are exceptions. For example, Guthrie is allowed to tour other dimensions and to go on dates. But that's only because he's a cyborg and otherwise he'd go nuts.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

chilipenguin

I'm now thinking of setting my script in Brit-Cit or Cal-Hab. Both of these locations allow their Judges to drink (am I right in saying that). Not to excess you understand, but just to get them into a situation where alcohol is freely available. That doesn't spit in the eye of established canon does it?

Banners

Will it involve an over-sensitive barman somewhat bizarrely melting the face of a perfectly pleasant punter?

M@

chilipenguin

Haha you read that? No just set in a bar. That first script was just to see if I was using enough description etc (plus its set in the present day).

James Stacey

MC1 Wally Squad judges are allowed to drink in bars as part of their cover.

chilipenguin

I didn't realise that. Not sure if that would fit into the story as it is though. Definitely something to remember. Cheers!

vzzbux

If you are a Judge who happens to have something hovering over your shoulder called Little Mo then you can do what the fuck you like.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

HdE

I'd recommend The Simping Detective as a good stop-off point to pick up on all of this stuff.

Poor ol' Judge Point has a devil of a time with the internal affairs Judges (whatever they're called)
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Mark Taylor

Quote from: Judge Cassidy on 26 November, 2009, 01:09:53 AM
IIRC, smoking and alcohol are not permitted in Mega City One.

Smoking is allowed only in a licenced smokatorium and as far as I can make out drinking is allowed only in licenced bars (in a recent story I read Dredd arrested somebody for "drinking in public" but there are definitely public bars where folks drink all the time).

Judges are not allowed either, unless they are undercover.

chilipenguin

Am I right in saying that the Judges in Brit-Cit and Cal-Hab are allowed to drink (and not just the ones who are undercover).