Main Menu

Official: The World Has Gone Mad

Started by Jim_Campbell, 28 August, 2006, 07:37:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Apropos nothing at all, other than a general sense of outrage ...

I was round at some friends' house this afternoon for a barbecue (yes -- it was cold, and it was windy, but it's the August Bank Holidy and, fuck it, we were going to bloody well have a barbecue) and as I disposed of my second can of lager, I noticed the advisory printed on the can.

This informed me that the can contained 2.2 units of alcohol and that my recommended daily limit was four units.

What. The. FUCK?

Two cans of lager and I'm over my Tony-Blair-Sanctioned-Daily-Limit ...?

Fuck off! I had a gin and tonic for fucking breakfast today, and I don't drink a quarter of what I used to! [1]

Bloody nanny state.

Cheers!

Jim

[1] Personal bests:

Volume without vomiting (pub): 13.5 Newcastle Browns (the 0.5 was someone else's that they couldn't finish).

Volume without vomiting (home): equal tie - one full bottle of 40% ABV vodka (with mixer) followed by four cans of Kestrel Super. Or: Twenty-four 330ml cans of Heineken. That was depressing, because I didn't even feel pissed at the end of it. Never touched the stuff since.

Endurance: my 25th birthday.Started at two in the afternoon. Steady consumption of mixed drinks at the rate of one pint/double every 15-20 minutes. Stopped at 4.30 the following morning. Admission: performance enhancing pharmaceuticals involved.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Trout

Recommended alcohol limits pre-date the Blair government, I'm afraid.

Although I haven't heard of them being printed on a can of beer before!

I like the content of foods being included on packaging. I don't have the best diet, sadly, but it helps when I'm choosing baby food for my daughter.

She doesn't drink beer, though.

- Trout

DavidXBrunt

paulvonscott

Yeah, it's 2.8 on a bottle of newcastle synthi-brown ale I think, so basically, I should leave more than half of the second bottle if I'm at the pub.  Not that I do - rock n' roll etc.

I try not to drink so much these days.

Ah, Kestrel, that take me back, that was my training beer... my nanna used to buy me that!

Jim_Campbell

"Ah, Kestrel, that take me back, that was my training beer... my nanna used to buy me that!"

Your nan used to buy you Kestrel Super? Blimey.

On reflection, I'm glad my dalliance with super-strength lagers didn't last longer - that way madness, smelling of wee, and waking up on park benches, lies.

That particular drinking habit was ended by my encounter with one of those brands that you only seem to find in Happy Shoppers. A delightful brew called Crest Ultra which (apart from sounding like a brand of toothpaste) offered you 10% ABV for the princely sum of ?1 per 500ml can.

The only down side was that it turned you into an angry drunk. A really angry drunk.

It was so bad that my friends all left after I'd had two-and-a-half cans and I suspect that one of the reasons I felt so rough the following morning was that I'd actually beaten myself up.

Ahh ... happy days.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Matt Timson

You've not lived until you've quaffed a 3 litre bottle of 'Turbo Cider' from the corner shop...
Pffft...

Buttonman

Amateur hour Jim.

On a stag to Prague we set off at 6am from Glasgow to Edinburgh, drinking on the mini bus. Few snifters at the airport followed by the commandeering of the drinks trolley whilst in the air.

In Prague we found a bar where we drank all day so much so that the owner went out and got us our own stipper who danced on a beer crate. When we started to move he said if we stayed she'd take off her pants too. We stayed.

Then to the dancin' where we jigged about in kilts. I bought this Czeck burd a Smirnoff Ice and saw her sharing it out with her pals as I came back from the bog. Kick out time was 5am so the session was a full 24 hours including the time difference.

The next post should begin 'Call that drinking?...' in the time honoured Four Northern Gentlemen style.

Floyd-the-k

Call that drinking? I've spilt more on me tie!

Actually the warning sounds reasonable enough to me. It's not like you have to obey it. Who knows, there might be some good science behind it.

Buddy

Babycham!!! Booze for baby!!

As a rule I don't get out much but was at a workmates leaving booze up on friday night.

Turns out I have a low tolerance to the drink.

Only had about 5 pints and a whiskey and was struggling to finish that!!

Result was got a taxi to a mates house and fell asleep as soon as I hit the sofa.

Pathetic.

DavidXBrunt

More Beer! More Fun! Yaaaaay!!!!!

Absinthe Daquiries anyone?

philt

pah...

Standing outside one of Belfast's finest bars at 11:20 demanding to be let in. 16 bars (16 pints and a bottle of red wine) and 14 hours later we're necking pints of Vodka and Red Bull like there's no tomorrow.
Which on the evidence of the hangover I had was a fair assumption....

The Enigmatic Dr X

The thing about a stereotype is that it's often true... so, on pissed and tight Scotsmen.

Most consumed in 24 hours

While on holiday with the Boys - A bottle of Macallan, a bottle of blue label Smirnoff, half a bottle of "Coconut Liquer" (Malibu substitute) and 10 - 20 San Miguel. I vomitted blood the next day and didn't eat anything for 48 hours.

Largest Round Ordered

96 bottles of miller, 48 double vodkas and orange (there were 8 of us, my mate was president of the Student Union, it was his leaving do, we had just arrived and the free bar closed in 5 minutes.
Lock up your spoons!

House of Usher

It's the weakest evidence for the world having gone mad I've seen in a while. Makes sense to me that more than 4 units of alcohol a day might not be good for you. It's your choice.

More convincing evidence of madness can be found in the middle east, the White House, PFI, airport security, and deforestation in east Asia.
STRIKE !!!

Wils

Briefly steering this back, one of the most mental things I've seen printed on something was on a packet of cheapy, shop brand dry roasted peanuts.

'CAUTION: MAY CONTAIN NUTS'

Buddy

philt - Which one Belfast's finest bars did you start at?

Name your pub crawl?

Began and finished in The Duek Of York on Friday just past.