Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 15 December, 2013, 11:29:58 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 15 December, 2013, 11:14:37 PM
a thoughtless, violent, might-is-right thug who neither deserves or understands the power that he wields with indifference to its effects upon the Little People. Man Of Steel's problem isn't that it's a poor version of Superman, it's that it's a perfect version of Superman for the age we live in.

Frank Miller did it 30 years ago. Nothing's changed.

But you were supposed to think that that version of Superman was a dick - and to cheer on Batman when he beat him up.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JamesC on 16 December, 2013, 08:15:10 AMBut you were supposed to think that that version of Superman was a dick - and to cheer on Batman when he beat him up.

That's the next film.

Theblazeuk

It makes me so disappointed whenever I think of the injustice done to Pa Kent.

I suppose one of the things that makes Superman special to me is the idea that "Do good to others and everyman can be a superman" - and that ultimately what makes Superman a hero isn't his space-dad's mission of imperialist moral superiority but his adopted family's straightforward acceptance, love, compassion and support.

The animated series got it pretty perfectly, as always. Hell Lois and Clark got it right.

TordelBack

Yeah, that is Superman's essence for me: he's not a good egg because he's near-omnipotent and beats up baddies,  he's a good egg despite being near-omnipotent and beating-up baddies.  It's his everyday decency and morality that makes him Superman, and that comes from the Kents, not from Krypton.  Even Mark Millar and the Crash Test Dummies got that bit right.

Recrewt

I think Man of Steel did convey some of that but it is a bit of a mess.  I never got the small-minded xenophobe vibe that some people did of Jonathan Kent.  He tells Clarke several times that he needs to be careful of the damage his powers could cause and the reaction (mostly fear) that people will have when they learn of him.

The real problem is that last part of the film where Superman seems to ignore all that, level Metropolis and off Zod. 

pictsy

I had no desire to watch Man of Steel initially for one reason:  Zack Snyder

Dawn of the Dead was ultimately unimpressive. 
300 had no redeeming attribute.
Watchmen was an appalling adaptation that spent a lot of time looking right but absolutely no time feeling right.

After that I heard that Sucker Punch was a mess of a film at best and offensively misogynistic at worst.  I've not seen it so I can't make a personal comment.

So that was my main reason for not wanting to see Man of Steel, but you guys (gawd bless ya) seem to have given me additional reasons.  I should probably add that I'm not a fan of Superman so I am inclined towards disinterest anyway.

Hopefully I will have some time to watch a film tonight.  I am thinking of either Howl's Moving Castle or Paprika.

Dudley

Paprika is really quite weird. 

Bolt-01

Howls Moving castle is a good movie- we like Ghibli in the Bolt-cave.

Watched the Lone Ranger last night and really enjoyed it despite itself. Nowhere near as bad as I was scared it would be and it looked beautiful.

pictsy

I like weird and I enjoyed Paprika :D

I haven't seen Howl's Moving Castle yet but I am a fan of Studio Ghibli but have only seen just half of their films.

CrazyFoxMachine

If you've seen Paprika and not HMC then I'd say go for what you don't know!

Bonus Fact: The amazing Diana Wynne Jones wot wrote Howl's Moving Castle lived next door to us. Well - would of if we had moved in a year before we did and she hadn't died.

Bonus bonus fact: When my Geoffery met Neil Gaiman (a close friend of Wynne Jones) he said he had been past our gaff many a time. So there's always a chance he'll show up and have some tea.

Possibly.

Theblazeuk

Howls is a classic. Great source material coupled with a wonderfully imaginative adaptation. One of the animes I'd go for the dubbed version too! Actually that includes most Ghibli movies now that I think of it, they get a great cast. Princess Mononoke is a firm favourite too. The movie that helped create Studio Ghibli is possibly my favourite work though; Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind - not least because Patrick Stewart voices the best swordsman in the land. It makes a nice accompaniment to Princess M too, very similar themes approached from different directions.

Porco Russo is ok and has some great scenes but doesn't hang together as well as the rest. Similarly Castle Cogliostro (which features infamous French superthief Lupin) is a bit of pulpy fun, though again not forming the beautiful fairy tales of Spirited Away or Howl's Moving Castle.

Yet to see Paprika. Sitting on my hard drive waiting for the mood to strike.

Quote from: Recrewt on 16 December, 2013, 12:28:46 PM
I think Man of Steel did convey some of that but it is a bit of a mess.  I never got the small-minded xenophobe vibe that some people did of Jonathan Kent.  He tells Clarke several times that he needs to be careful of the damage his powers could cause and the reaction (mostly fear) that people will have when they learn of him.

The real problem is that last part of the film where Superman seems to ignore all that, level Metropolis and off Zod.

Well I didn't like that but I am not so against killing Zod. I actually quite liked it when Byrne did it so long ago, so though that bit wasn't very well done (and the collateral damage is ridiculous) it wasn't too bad. However I am against any time Pa Kent tells Clark that he should have let a bus full of children die. And any time Clark lets his dad die.

Bolt-01

CFM- Gutted to hear Jones has died- Nano-Bolt & I only read the first Howl book recently.

LorcanQ

just watched The Dirties which is an indie found-footage style film about 2 bullied high school kids who plan a school shooting. i thought it was fantastic. The acting by the lead was amazing and the story is both quirky and disturbing. on top of that, the depictions of bullying, ever so slight are still very effective and make you really feel for the characters. By the end, it even finishes quickly enough so as to not feel in any way sensational, its not about a school shooting, its about the events leading up to one and the lead characters obsession with movies to blur his understanding of what is real and what isnt. Id highly recommend. I dont think the dvd has been released yet but its easy enough to find online if you look around.

TordelBack

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 16 December, 2013, 03:46:07 PM
Well I didn't like that but I am not so against killing Zod.

And is oft remarked, he did it the first time too.  I suspect it is the means that actually annoy - snapping somebody's neck is inherently more real-world brutal for a supposed hero than is dismissively pushing a defeated villain into a crack in the floor of your ice-fortress.

Recrewt

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 16 December, 2013, 03:46:07 PM
Quote from: Recrewt on 16 December, 2013, 12:28:46 PM

Well I didn't like that but I am not so against killing Zod. I actually quite liked it when Byrne did it so long ago, so though that bit wasn't very well done (and the collateral damage is ridiculous) it wasn't too bad. However I am against any time Pa Kent tells Clark that he should have let a bus full of children die. And any time Clark lets his dad die.

I know some folks were really upset because they didn't get 'Saint Jonathan' in the movie but I just saw it as a man who was trying to protect his son.  Clarke goes off and saves that bus and it's afterwards he has the talk with Jonathan who says 'maybe' when Clarke asks if he should have done nothing.  I personally never found that 'maybe' to be very strong i.e. Jonathan knows it was right but ultimately doesn't want Clarke to start running around doing all manner of superhero things when he is still just a kid.