Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

The snake oil merchant scene where he's at the ferry extolling the universal virtues of his elixiar,
Josey spits a stream of chaw on th his lapel and quips; 'how's it with stains?'
Classic stuff. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Mabs

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 February, 2014, 08:25:29 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 23 February, 2014, 07:40:52 PM
I think Clint's at his one-liner coolness zenith in Coogan's Bluff.

Surely not!

QuoteYeah, well, when an adult male is chasing a female with intent to commit rape, I shoot the bastard that's my policy.

Cheers

Jim

I take it you're referring to Dirty Harry with the quote Jim? The actual line is way more funnier:

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through a dark alley with a butcher knife and a hard on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross."  :lol:

So many great moments in Dirty Harry which I love.

My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mabs on 23 February, 2014, 08:45:26 PMI take it you're referring to Dirty Harry with the quote Jim? The actual line is way more funnier:

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through a dark alley with a butcher knife and a hard on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross."

I know, but I that "I shoot the bastard" line (which comes right before the bit you quote) is SO Dredd...

Although the whole thing is somewhat ruined by:

QuoteYes. Well, when I see 5 weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of the park in full view of 100 people, I shoot the bastards. That's my policy.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mabs

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 February, 2014, 08:56:31 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 23 February, 2014, 08:45:26 PMI take it you're referring to Dirty Harry with the quote Jim? The actual line is way more funnier:

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through a dark alley with a butcher knife and a hard on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross."

I know, but I that "I shoot the bastard" line (which comes right before the bit you quote) is SO Dredd...

Although the whole thing is somewhat ruined by:

QuoteYes. Well, when I see 5 weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of the park in full view of 100 people, I shoot the bastards. That's my policy.

Cheers

Jim

Does it? I've a bad memory so I must've forgotten! And yes, it's very Dredd.

I think now is a good time to re-watch Dirty Harry (just after I finish re-watching RoboCop...the real one!).

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Theblazeuk

Those were actors Drebin! Good ones!

radiator

The Lego Movie.

Had a blast, the most out and out entertaining movie I've seen in ages. Laugh out loud funny bits, a pleasingly bonkers plot that comes together beautifully at the end, and I can't praise the visuals highly enough - a beautiful looking, wildly inventive film. I loved the stop motion feel of the animation, the tilt shift effect, and how EVERYTHING - even down to smoke, flames and water - was 'made' of Lego blocks. I've been saying for years that's how the Lego videogames should look and I hope they'll now follow suit.

If you've yet to see it, I implore you to stay for the entirety of the credits.

Tiplodocus

BATMAN: YEAR ONE  and DARK KNIGHT RETURNS: Part 1

Bot of these are available on LOVEFILM just now and I thought I'd remind myself that Frank Miller once wrote some good comics.

I enjoyed both; YEAR ONE shading it. This really brings home how much it really is Commissioner Gordon: Year One (featuring Batman).  Dunno who did the Batman voice but he was good. And various iconic bits of the comic right up there on screen to see.   For some reason, Catwoman seems too kick ass when you see her in motion (as opposed to comic). Did they expand her fights? (I can't find my copy of Year one).

Peter Weller's switch between Bruce Wayne and Bats in DKR was a little too nuanced for my taste (i.e. I like a big change in voice) but again, there are some iconic bits of comic and characted design up on screen.  Some of the "expanded bits" work better than others (e.g. the brilliant one page of Bats, the american flag and the General who had been selling arms to the mutants is all it really needed, having [spoiler]Batman walk out while he commits suicide was just wrong[/spoiler]).

But I felt they were worth an hour of your time even if you don't think comics are only validated by having film versions made of them.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Ghastly McNasty

Kill List

Dark. Ultra violent. Enigmatic. Weird. Much of the film didn't explain what was going on, leaving the watcher to their own devices. Horrific ending. Aces Plus.

sheldipez

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 24 February, 2014, 12:55:21 PM

Bot of these are available on LOVEFILM just now and I thought I'd remind myself that Frank Miller DC once did some good comics.

Fixed :D

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Ghastly McNasty on 24 February, 2014, 01:08:54 PM
Kill List

Dark. Ultra violent. Enigmatic. Weird. Much of the film didn't explain what was going on, leaving the watcher to their own devices. Horrific ending. Aces Plus.

"Thank you"

pictsy

The last films I saw were The Worlds End (filmed in locations near my home town, which was slightly weird) and Falling Down.  Both very good films.  I enjoyed The Worlds End a lot more than I was expecting.  Simon Pegg's and Nick Frost's were wonderfully refreshing.  I've seen Falling Down before and it was just as good a second time around, definitely recommended.  The best part to all this was feeding my partner Doritos with Salsa during The Worlds End and in turn being fed ice cream during Falling Down.

Professor Bear

Quote from: sheldipez on 24 February, 2014, 01:16:24 PM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 24 February, 2014, 12:55:21 PM

Bot of these are available on LOVEFILM just now and I thought I'd remind myself that Frank Miller DC once did some good comics.

Fixed :D

I cannot help but notice that as DC become more and more irrelevant as a publisher, they rush out more and more cheap adaptations of their comics.

Ghost MacRoth

Machete: Kills

Just.....awful.  What is it with Robert Rodrigez?? ''Hey, movies in the 70's where shit, lets make them like that, cause it's nostalgic''.  No it fucking isn't.  It's just....bad.  Badly shot, badly acted, bad effects, bad script, badly edited, and just plain fucking bad.  Worse yet, it looks like there's to be a third one!!  Don't think I'll be bothering with that then.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

HdE

Has Rodriguez ever made a decent movie?

And yes, that question is entirely rhetorical.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Mabs

Just watching Sanctum on Film4+1,  Still more than half an hour to go but I can't be arsed, I'm off to bed.

My Twitter @nexuswookie