Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullmo

Quote from: JamesC on 21 September, 2014, 02:33:38 PM
The Lair of the White Worm

A bit of forgotten classic from Ken Russell starring Hugh Grant, Peter Capaldi and Amando Donohoe (who makes a big impression as a seductive snake priestess).
The script is a bit clunky in places but the whole thing is great fun and I really like horror stories that tap into folklore.
I hadn't seen this film in years and I'd forgotten a lot of it (including the strap on death dildoes!) so it was nice to re watch it and for it to be as entertaining as I'd remembered.

I bought this on VHS in the 1990s for 50p - but the tape didn't work :'(
It's a joke. I was joking.

Daveycandlish

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Tiplodocus

Quote from: The Cosh on 24 September, 2014, 12:04:58 PM

I didn't see Pacific Rim at the pictures because I thought it looked utter nonsense. Turns out I was totally right about that but completely wrong to consider it an obstacle. The highest praise I can give it is that the unfolding of each utterly predictable plot point makes you smile/cheer (delete according to enthusiasm) rather than groan. Plus there are some genuinely funny action bits.
I just had almost the opposite experience while watching BATTLESHIP. Terrible acting throughout. But I'll admit to liking the sequence where the 3 destroyers engage the aliens and the actual game of battleship sequence. Rest was shite though.

More like SHITTLESHIP.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

Come on man. It's Battleshit, surely?

I, Cosh

Quote from: radiator on 24 September, 2014, 11:29:51 PM
Come on man. It's Battleshit, surely?
Can't argue with that, Tips.

Just come home from a few pints to find Top Gun starting...
We never really die.

Colin Zeal

Watched the 2011 version of The Three Musketeers the other night. after about ten minutes I could tell it would annoy me but I carried on to the end. It wasn't all bad, but overall it wasn't much cop. The acting was pretty wooden, having loads of it in slo-mo to show you just how cool the action scenes were just grated and the dialogue was clunky. All of the actors spoke English in what seemed to be their own accent. Fair enough, it happens in lots of films but it really bugged me when one character was told a bit of (not particularly complex) information but asked for it to be repeated "in French" so he could understand it.

Watched ten minutes of He's Just Not That Into You last night but turned that off and read a book instead. I had learnt my lesson from the previous film.

Hawkmumbler

I cought bits of that on Film4 while waiting for my chippy tea after work. Looked kinda formulaic and also kinda ridiculous at the same time.

Daveycandlish

The thing with the story of the Musketeers is that D'Artagnan is an irritating upstart and just gets on my tits - regardless of which version you are watching. The best character is always Richelieu - which is why scenery chewers like Chris Lee, Tim Curry or Christophe Waltz get the role.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Daveycandlish

*EDIT* nah, it was Charlton Heston, wasn't it? Not Lee

ThryllSeekyr

Adventures in Baby Sitting.....

Classic film made in a classic time!

Starring Elizabeth Shue, well known for her supporting role in the original Karate Kid!

These days she looks more intimidating!

Yet, back than it had a different title.

Can any of you guess?

I don't quite remember myself, but perhaps I'll look this up later.

Feel free to ninja me to it!

Colin Zeal

Was it called a Night On the Town or something similar?

Recrewt

Quote from: Skullmo on 24 September, 2014, 02:08:24 PM

A bit of forgotten classic from Ken Russell starring Hugh Grant, Peter Capaldi and Amando Donohoe (who makes a big impression as a seductive snake priestess).
The script is a bit clunky in places but the whole thing is great fun and I really like horror stories that tap into folklore.
I hadn't seen this film in years and I'd forgotten a lot of it (including the strap on death dildoes!) so it was nice to re watch it and for it to be as entertaining as I'd remembered.

You are not missing much Skullmo.  I often hear it mentioned as a 'classic' but its a film I have never been able to sit through.  It's just a bit of a mess and after a while I give up and go watch paint dry instead.  See also: The Keep

JamesC

Quote from: Recrewt on 25 September, 2014, 12:33:33 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 24 September, 2014, 02:08:24 PM

You are not missing much Skullmo.  I often hear it mentioned as a 'classic' but its a film I have never been able to sit through.  It's just a bit of a mess and after a while I give up and go watch paint dry instead.  See also: The Keep

I'm really surprised to hear this. I can see why you'd think The Keep was boring, with it's long sequence of that guy's journey, but I think LOTWW is pretty fast paced and fun.
Horses for courses I suppose!

Link Prime

Quote from: Recrewt on 25 September, 2014, 12:33:33 PM
It's just a bit of a mess and after a while I give up and go watch paint dry instead. 

Yeah, but;

Recrewt

Quote from: JamesC on 25 September, 2014, 12:37:06 PM
I'm really surprised to hear this. I can see why you'd think The Keep was boring, with it's long sequence of that guy's journey, but I think LOTWW is pretty fast paced and fun.
Horses for courses I suppose!

Yeah. I was being a little tongue in cheek but it's just too weird and all over the place for my liking.