2000 AD > Website and Forum

How to make a healthy vibrant forum?

<< < (2/32) > >>

maryanddavid:
I don't post often here, never did tbh, but I still visit every day.
Much easier to follow a conversation, FB and other 2000AD discussion places are fleeting. I have no real solution, other than perhaps those that do lurk become a bit more involved.

Proudhuff:

--- Quote from: Colin YNWA on 22 August, 2019, 09:02:08 AM ---
--- Quote from: Buttonman on 22 August, 2019, 08:39:36 AM ---Male to female ratio 7.6:1? Hello Ladies! Unless they are counting Tom in his dress!

--- End quote ---

I think we should always count Tom in his dress!

--- End quote ---

Only at the weekends, but thanks for the support (tights)

IndigoPrime:
Forum usage ebbs and flows. Unless this place becomes tumbleweeds, I’m not too concerned. Sure, some of the conversation has inevitably shifted to Facebook, but that only really works for immediacy. Facebook is a nightmare for ongoing conversation, deep threads, organisation, and search. Also – and most importantly – Facebook owns everything. You’re one hack or ban away from everything being gone forever. (And I should know. I admin a band page that very nearly lost everything through a spam bot attack.)

As for claims this is a horrible place, I’m not sure where they come from. I dip into Facebook reasonably often, and I don’t really see many comments along those lines on the official 2000 AD page. People are a mite grumpier in one of the groups I joined some time ago, but then half the time I wonder whether such things function specifically to gripe about everything 2000 AD and Rebellion are doing these days, having glued rose-tinted glasses to everyone’s faces.

On the nice or nasty, I will say that of the forums of any size I’ve moderated, this is by far the least hassle. We’ve had very few bans here, and those we have had got discussed at almost agonising lengths, usually over a period of days. It’s pretty rare that an admin/mod has to wade in and tell everyone to pipe down a bit.

Jim_Campbell:

--- Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 August, 2019, 10:22:56 AM ---half the time I wonder whether such things function specifically to gripe about everything 2000 AD and Rebellion are doing these days, having glued rose-tinted glasses to everyone’s faces.

--- End quote ---

The 2000AD FB groups I've dipped into seem to largely consist of people who haven't bought a prog in thirty years complaining that the comic isn't as good as it was when they were 12.

As for the forum… I honestly don't know. Forums just aren't the thing they once were. A couple of tech forums I hang around have gone from so much traffic it was hard to keep up, to a handful of posts a day. I imagine we'll see an uptick in activity as the Rogue Trooper movie gets closer to being a reality, maybe another as/when/if there's substantive news about the Mega City One TV series…

Dark Jimbo:

--- Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 August, 2019, 10:31:33 AM ---The 2000AD FB groups I've dipped into seem to largely consist of people who haven't bought a prog in thirty years complaining that the comic isn't as good as it was when they were 12.

--- End quote ---

Yup. As Frank noted just yesterday(?), most of the traffic of those Dredd groups is just endless posting of covers and blokes called Dave commenting 'i remember 2000ad still got this in my mum's loft somewhere.'

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version