Main Menu

The Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire limited hardcover announced

Started by IndigoPrime, 01 November, 2019, 12:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robprosser

Jade Falcon

It arrived yesterday.

I already have the super deluxe editions from the Don Lawrence collection some years ago.  I am buying the books with stories from other artists.

Many many moons ago I remember getting a pile of Look and Learns from a Jumble sale.  One story had a few scenes stick out in my mind.  Remember the very first story showing the invasion of Tharv by the Lokans, and there was a scene showing the last stand of the Tharv royal guard?  There had been a story showing a flashback to this scene, and what I vaguely remember is a survivor of the Royal Guard who was either wounded and unconscious or fled rather than stand and fight.  I have seen so sign of this so far.  This must be a non Don Lawrence story.

What is concerning me is that an initial announcement said there was going to be 4 books, and I have the contents of book 1 and 2, and I now have books 3 and 4.  Is that it?  Because there must be other stuff not printed as of yet.

I also noticed some of the non Lawrence artwork was practically copied, the scene in a late story of the Trigan cavalry charging and being butchered by enemy armoured forces was practically a copy of the Caton guard being massacred in the very first story.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

IndigoPrime

73north

" They've not reached Oli Frey's stuff yet, have they? "

No that would be in from 1976-1977 , so Volume 5 probably -

interestingly , I discovered Oliver Frey did the very first Front Cover for
Battle Picture Weekly Number 1 back in 1975 !

Jade Falcon

A criticism online said that the Empire faced repeats of foes partially due to its short 2 pages per issue format and that it suffered for that despite gorgeous artwork.

While true, I feel this is an unfair criticism, how many superhero comics over the years reused the same villains and often it is only in recent years that there has been a development of these.  Dredd for instance with the legacy of the Apocalypse war, for one example.

The fact is that back then it was a common thing, even Dan Dare and the Mekon had this.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Dash Decent

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 29 October, 2022, 05:45:21 PMan initial announcement said there was going to be 4 books, and I have the contents of book 1 and 2, and I now have books 3 and 4.  Is that it?  Because there must be other stuff not printed as of yet.

Volume 5 coming October 2023: Click! - including art by the late great Oli Frey, as 73North surmised above.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Jade Falcon

Well I got the softcover of Volume 5 through from Amazon.

The sodding front cover is bent over with a permanent crease mark left, so that's going back

Jade Falcon

Well...I can't fault Amazon, the next day I sent the replacement back by their returns service and the replacement arrived today.  A fair few of the stories I have as I had the collected Don Lawrence special editions but now the Oliver Frey stories have started.  The art is distinctly different but still a good style.  I can see the resemblance between Trigan and Freys 'The Terminal Man' story that was published in the old Crash ZX Spectrum magazine (though I also have the Oli Frey artbook). 

rs_jr

how many volumes are left?
any chance rebellion get the license for storm?

broodblik

I think the 5th was the last and Rebellion does not own the rights to Storm
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

rs_jr

Anthony Garnon

I think we'll see more volumes. But then, I thought that about the Daily Dredds too!

Jade Falcon

There were a number of other artists that did Trigan, but I don't know if some of them were perhaps one offs.  Names that come to mind were Phillip Corke, Ramon Sola and some others.

rogue69

Not sure if this has been posted before but this just popped up on FB Illustrators magazine have a Trigan Empire Artists' Special out and Includes a complete Stripography and feature articles on the Artists:
Don Lawrence, Ernest Ratcliff, Ron Embleton, Miguel Quesada, Philip Corke, Oliver Frey & Gerry Wood

https://bookpalace.com/acatalog/info_ILLUSTRATORSTRIGAN.html#SID=1358

73north

Please Rebellion can you give us Volume 6 of Trigan Empire?