Main Menu

Shift Comic - new UK anthology

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 September, 2020, 02:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Picked up 'To The Death - Forged in Fire' a prequel to the series running in Shift from their webshop and have to say its a very good comic. Formated from a webcomic into landscape US sized comic it makes for a very interesting read and has served to whet the appetite for the main series running in Shift very much.

Another one to recommend.

Magnetica

I bought this on the strength of Colin's recommendation. Not sure what I think of it yet, but there are a couple of things about it I think are worth commenting on.

Firstly all of the strips are creator owned, and it will be interesting to see how well it does especially in the light of Uncle Pat's recent pronouncements, as it will with Spacewarp.

I noticed that Steve Yeowell was listed as providing the art, not as a creator. But as I subsequently discovered that seems to be because this isn't the first time a Foot Soliders story has been published. And indeed most of the stories seem to have been published elsewhere before. And some are actually quite old.

Now in a way I don't mind as they are all new to me, but it wasn't positioned as a re-print vehicle as far as I was aware. But in some case if I want to get the complete story I will have to buy other volumes.

Colin YNWA

As with all things postal at the moment this one has made the shops a lot earlier than my sub copy arrived, but it landed a couple of days ago and I've had time to settle down and read it tonight.

Now I'm going into this one with a much clearer view of what this comic is. First issue was an utter surprise to me, not what I was expecting. Since reading that I've learnt that this is all representing creator owned material. Do I care, has it changed my reaction to this comic? Do I heck and it has not. This comic is brilliant. Even the absolute glorious surprise being missing hasn't affected my enjoyment as this is simply put - good comics.

As with any anthology the specifc highlights flex a little, but this puts little wrong.

Kora remains a highlight. Cleanly told story with lush art.

Tiny acts of violence spins a way I wasn't expecting and has a glorious light surface and dialogue behind a very, very dark story that utterly intrigues.

Shifter really picks up for me this month(ish) - it takes the story baby steps forward, the art doesn't quite hits the highnotes of the rest of the content but it does what it does very well.

Foot Soldiers only gets a thin slice this time but christ the Mighty Yeowell is knocking it out the park on art.

Invincible is a cute and really very funny and cleaver one page strip that I've seen another strip of before. Great addition.

Soulwind - Well Scott Morse says it himself in an excellent text piece, he's not there to lay it all out from the start and we'll need to work with him and grow into the story. There's enough here to make me really want to do that but at the moment I'm a little lost... but good wanting to find my way lost.

To The Death has a strong episode. I much prefer the family moments - so I'm a little worried about the ending this week!

The done in one Chance is an effective piece with a moving ending.

Okay so this time I might have known what I was coming for, but all that matters is this issue delievers it in spades. Another triumph.

Colin YNWA

Landing in a few days - well a week or so - Issue 3

https://theshift.store/

On top of that apparently (via Facebook) if you order from the online story (hopefully this includes subs) you'll get a print of the cover and other threats.

If you've not you should defo check this comic out.

maryanddavid

Colin YNWA

Issue 3 lands and we have our first problem. That being to allow more space for the ongoing stories we don't get the normal original done in one. Which is a shame as that complete short adds a great balance to the slower moving ongoing stories.

Still the upside is we get more of the brilliant ongoing tales - so ya know!

To the Death - is really strong again - BUT - please don't have refridgerator the characters I think have been refridgeratored. This strip is better than that surely???

Kora remains a silent wonder.

Just 3 pages of Foot Soldiers again just isn't enough. Still its good and we another fold out next time apparently.

Tiny Acts of Violence is so intriguing and just sucks you into its tight and dark world behind the Iron Curtain.

Shifter - is well constructed, tense and then spins a really surprising ending which opens up... well we'll have to see.

Soulwind - Is fascinating. I'm not sure how all the elements piece together but this one is building to something. Just not sure what yet.

Another fantastic issue - which some really nice little extras too. We might be waiting a little longer for issues at the moment but this is so good I'll wait as long as we need. Long may it continue.

Colin YNWA

And issue 4 and the delays are starting to hurt this comic... a bit. Its still fantastic and the best new comic out there. Its a heady mix and the simple diversity and experimentation just make this a must buy. Its a beautiful package to, the online purchase (and my sub) come with some lovely bonus bits - the store bought might as well. Its just a shame that its over 2 months and some of the stories have lost me.

The reason this is only a bit of a problem is they all still grab you attention and a re-read is an enticing prospect.

Tiny Acts of Violence - utter lost but this is still great and since its finished its first part will get read again happily.

Kora has world as other arrive with a very direct agenda that leads to more violence. This is probably the standout - just wonderful.

Soulwind Yep there's a couple of things going on and the adventures of the young boy entrance. Fantastic.

Ghost Exterminator a one off my the brilliant Warwick Fraser-Combe - felt like more of an introduction than a self contained story, but if that's so I'd welcome more and this has a deliciously edgy and off kilter feel to it.

Shifter is getting better and better and the other world watcher scenario feels a million miles from where this started and I wonder how it relates and whether this is some sort of afterlife? Need to wrap back to that first episode as I suspect there's clues there.

To the Death - NO REFRIDGERATOR - fantastic!!! This is great as well and I can relax about the worries I had last time - this is indeed better than that!

Buy this comic - it might be a little more Crisis than 2000ad but if that works for you you should be reading this.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Absolutely agree 100% about Shift- the whole package is just so bloody lovely. I did worry about how #5 would pan out without Tint Acts of Violence (which has been my highlight thus far), but seeing that new strips by John Freeman/ Smuzz and Dan McDaid start next "month", I'm put more at ease.
Everything else is as you say- though for me, To The Death is very much my "other favourite", having grown on me these past four issues (plus the one-off from the store) and completely changed my mind regarding Geoff Senior's art. I went into it disliking his "messiness", but after that frankly stunning one-off I mentioned, I now gaze agape at every page.

I love the format of Shift- the page dimensions, the thickness, the *smell*, everything. A couple of issues ago I was convinced it would flounder and we would be lucky to get more than three. They seem to have found a model that works for them, and I hope now it will be a regular buy for years to come.

SBT

Goosegash

Interesting to see some material from the ill-fated Strip Magazine resurfacing - the Freeman/Smuzz series Crucible is due to start next issue, which I think maybe only one or two chapters of which saw the light of day originally before that went down the toilet.

I've more faith in Shift lasting the course as for one thing it's not being run by a total shyster, and has others have said it's a really high quality publication which deserves a decent run.

BPP

Ordered the starter pack on the basis of Colin's zeal.

They really gotta change that logo tho, it's very dated.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Goosegash on 15 May, 2021, 12:10:56 PM
Interesting to see some material from the ill-fated Strip Magazine resurfacing - the Freeman/Smuzz series Crucible is due to start next issue, which I think maybe only one or two chapters of which saw the light of day originally before that went down the toilet.

I've more faith in Shift lasting the course as for one thing it's not being run by a total shyster, and has others have said it's a really high quality publication which deserves a decent run.

Yeah I was in the nerd cave last night and found I still had my Strips and so checked and lo and behold yes it was that series - so lovely that its been picked up and yep hope this time its found a better home that does a better job for it. I decided not to re-read it (it was just one part that I think) and allow the series to drop on me fresh. I will go back and see how its developed.

Quote from: BPP on 15 May, 2021, 04:08:32 PM

Gulp - christ hope you enjoy it then. Think you will but hope you do...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: BPP on 15 May, 2021, 04:08:32 PM

They really gotta change that logo tho, it's very dated.

What did you think?

Issue 5 has arrived and its another triumph - all be it a more qualified one this time. The new strips aren't quite up to the standards of of the opening line-up ... yet...

They are Dega which I'm very much looking forward to, being a fan of Dan McDaid's art. This openning is good, exciting but doesn't really give us anything to bite into. Shipwrecked space type has exciting encounter on alien planet to show how much peril they are in. I mean its good, its just not... anything else yet BUT plenty more to come and the art is lovely.

Crucible is kinda similar, Shift has strips that do something different and this one has a band of hard types in the service of a ruler type kicking some ass of some brigand types. That's it. I mean again its good but nothing to really bite into yet, but plenty to come.

The done one Nebula does more than either of this in like 8 pages and maybe 100 words. I read it twice on the second time think I got to its meaning and look at death as release (I can get these things very wrong). Wonderful.

To the Death continues to be coldly thrilling. Soulwind has gone from strip making you explore for meaning amusing adventure of a child and his companions. I love the way this has effortlessly drifted and opens itself to move and shift again i don't doubt. That first opening feels like a distant memory but will no doubt wrap back around.

Shifter gets better and better each episode and this one is a blinder as we start to see the wonders of this new world Noah gets some thrilling new experiences.

Kora remains my favourite of the lot. it slips effortless back into wordless storytelling and then spins us into a completely new scenario. What's to come well luckily as book 1 ends, book 2 start next time and I'll be there.

This one also has a subtler smell, which is all the more satisfying for that.

buy this.

Tomwe

I've got an order in for the next batch of issues having got 1-3 earlier in the year. Issue 4 is on backorder though I fear, which is a right pain. I just can't get this book anywhere near here. I should probably just subscribe but it feels like a lot of dosh in one hit.

Soulwind is one I know well as I have the five ONI tpbs and also a one-volume HC. Sadly, to my eye it I don't think it scales up well, file quality wise - the trades are at a cute 210x14mm size, and it was first published US size by Image.

But I'm glad it's getting this exposure!

Colin YNWA

Issue 6 landed when I was away and I think its on schedule. If Shift can manage to maintain that as things creep towards normal we could have an ever better thing here.

That said the shifting post openning line-up sees things wobble a little. There is still so much to love. Kora leads us off and remains magnificent, To the Death continues on good form and Soulwind is still fantastic. Shifter continues to get better and better. So the original strips are fine.

Speaking of original strips Hungerville the one off from the first issue returns for an amusing but pretty inconsequential second story. Speaking of inconsequencual the one off Sherlock Holmes feels very much that. The two new ongoing haven't quite gelled for me. Crucible is solid but lacks the inspiration of the original strips and Dega might need a quick recap.

Still a very good read and well worth while but lets see how things go as the line-up continues to develop.

Colin YNWA

Issue 7 is a lean mean comics machine. And I think its come in the originally planned 5 week time frame - double impressive AND its a 100 pages BUT it reads a breeze. This comic is still on of the best things out there. Its a delight.

Have to say while the newer strips are settling in okay, though I'm still struggling to get much out of Crucible, Dega is really shifting (ahem) up a gear and is great this time.

Of the rest they are all still brilliant To the Deathis hard and interesting, Soulwind is still mixing things up, but love the way the kid is entering a more real world and its hardships. Shifter is entering a second phase and doing so seamlessly and brilliantly.

Kora remains the best thing in here and that's saying something.

There a nice process piece from Gary Erskine in the 'flipside' backing up a preview (i think) of a Kickstarter First Men on Mars and the normal lovely pull out of Killatoa Express.

Its such a handsome package to boot and at £6.99 great value... oh and it still smells wonderful!