Main Menu

2000AD Forum Sketch Competition #1: ENTRIES THREAD

Started by Jim_Campbell, 06 February, 2021, 10:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Let's get down to business. It's the inaugural 2000AD Forum Sketch Competition Entries Thread!

In case you missed the earlier post announcing the theme, this month it's: Postcards from Nu Earth.

Give us a snapshot of Nu Earth. Imagine you're a war artist, or a photographer, or a random bystander, or a participant, and give us an image of the future war hellscape that is Nu Earth.

The only wrinkle is: no Rogue Trooper. He can't be in it. Anything else. Chem-mists over the biowire, aliens haggling in the Gasbah, meds at work on the front line, Norts digging latrine pits... whatever! Something from Nu Earth that doesn't have Rogue in it.

It doesn't have to be something we've specifically seen in the strips, as long as it feels like it belongs on (or above, or underneath) Nu Earth.

PLEASE POST YOUR ENTRIES TO THIS THREAD!

This is a sketch competition — you can use whatever medium takes your fancy, digital, traditional, mashed potato sculpture,* but please don't spend more than 45 minutes on any individual entry.

You can submit as many sketches as you like to the entries thread, but you'll have to nominate one (of your own!) to go forward to the voting thread.

If you have any problems at all getting your image onto the forum (especially since there's a size limit on attachments to forum posts) then send me a PM via the forum, and I'll give you my email address so you can send me the image and I'll host it on my Imgur account and post the entry on your behalf.

This thread will be open for one week only and will close on Friday 12th Feb, after which a voting thread will be open for one week from Saturday 13th Feb.

Get scribbling, Earthlets!  :D

*No straight photo manipulation though, please.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Woolly

I've managed 2 so far...

Bang on 45 mins for this one..

But alas I went over by 10 mins on this one (and it's a bit naff)..

Colin YNWA

So cool to see this burst into life already - thanks Jim. Here's the one I did yesterday in about 39 minutes (as i did a test one to work it out and figured that was cheating, so reduced the time on this one to compensate.

Woolly

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 06 February, 2021, 10:43:18 AM
I did a test one to work it out and figured that was cheating, so reduced the time on this one to compensate.

Not cheating in my book, just preperation :)
Lovely work sir!

Bolt-01

"GREETINGS FROM DIX-1"

Bang on 45 min for this - Used my trusty 'ronsmith' timer.

Jim_Campbell

Blimey. A flying start! You're all brilliant — I love the entries so far.

Trooper McFad

Great start guys.
Always in awe at the pros and watching them work at cons so I can appreciate the talent to bring something to life in such a short period of time.
Looking forward to seeing more over the week.👍🏻
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Bolt-01

Come on Jim, where's yours?

Really hoping this does well - very much in the spirit of this board.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 06 February, 2021, 12:55:51 PM
Come on Jim, where's yours?

January was insane work-wise — I closed out the month on 512 pages lettered*, according to my job-tracking spreadsheet, so I'm currently clearing up everything I had to back-burner while I was doing all that. I'm hoping to get something done this week, though!

*I think that's the second or third highest monthly total in a dozen years of freelancing.

Tomwe

Jim_Campbell

Love the verité roughness of this. It has a real sense of a captured moment. More please! :)

Bolt-01

Tomwe

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tomwe on 07 February, 2021, 09:36:15 AM
Thanks Jim! Look forward to the next brief.

Defo - this is such fun and hope we get a load more. Might try another one if I get the chance today...

Rogue Judge