Main Menu

Kiss His Cape..?

Started by Funt Solo, 12 October, 2021, 02:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: CalHab on 13 October, 2021, 12:53:28 PM
Hasn't Constantine been bi for years (forever?)? He was certainly bi in the Spurrier run.

I have some vague notion that it was at least strongly implied in the Azzarello run (which I haven't read) and has been solidified since then.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 October, 2021, 01:32:01 PM
Hasn't Constantine been bi for years (forever?)? He was certainly bi in the Spurrier run.

I have some vague notion that it was at least strongly implied in the Azzarello run (which I haven't read) and has been solidified since then.

Don't quote me on this but I seem to remember Constantine's bisexuality first being introduced by none other than John Smith; who wrote exactly one issue of Hellblazer in about 1992.  He wrote a very good Hellblazer too - would have loved to see him do a few more.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 October, 2021, 01:52:24 PM
Don't quote me on this but I seem to remember Constantine's bisexuality first being introduced by none other than John Smith; who wrote exactly one issue of Hellblazer in about 1992.

#51 which, for some unfathomable reason, I've never read. And you're quite right — it features the line "Girlfriends, the odd boyfriend... they all have a nasty habit of walking out on me."

(Thinking back, I now recall that it was #50 which caused me to give up Hellblazer. I wasn't a fan of Ennis' take on the character to begin with, and #50 had a very strong undercurrent of homophobia which made up my mind to drop the book completely. I only found out some years later that John had done a fill-in for the following issue.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Mister Pops on 12 October, 2021, 12:18:02 PM
If you were a cynical person you might think that making headlines was the motivation behind this. You might even cynically think this is just an attempt to stoke up social media  "discussion" for free publicity.

Turns out that the real Superman* agrees with that position: Making Superman bisexual is 'bandwagoning not brave'

(Newsthump also having some fun.)

*actor
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

You're Goddamn right, Mister Pops. What I was trying to say, in my own clumsy way, was that in a parallel world where orientation didn't matter in the same way that it did in ours these films would still be great regardless of the protagonists' preferences. Just rewriting them in our world would be as bad as you suggest and I wouldn't argue for such revisions to be made. In writing modern films, however, I wonder whether presenting characters with different orientations without signposting and just telling a good story in an entertaining fashion would be one way of encouraging acceptance; to make boy meets boy, girl meets girl or feral teen meets ape (??) as mundane as boy meets girl without feeling the need to sensationalise it. Person meets person, kind of thing. (Which is not to say that there is no place for films exploring the prejudices and difficulties faced by minorities, far from it - but, maybe, not every film has to present non-traditionally oriented protagonists as victims of prejudice or be constantly tub-thumping. I guess I'm arguing for subtlety, which is just as much a shock for me (as subtle as a cast iron wheelbarrow full of broken breeze blocks, I am) as it is for anyone who's read any of my posts!)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Again I take your point, Shark.

However, romantic stories can be enhanced, and sometimes depend on strife and prejudice. A love can be more meaningful because the society says it's wrong. Romeo and Juliet. Dante and Marakov.
You may quote me on that.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 October, 2021, 01:32:01 PM

Aye, Johnny boy even explicitly stated he had a passionate and frantic relationship with King Shark so our guy really doesn't seem too fussy what his type is.

rogue69

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Oh, the usual suspects did very much notice that there was a new Cap and he was gay. And by Usual Suspects, I mean of course the internet/ Facebook thickos who just cannot seem to grasp that:

Gay people exist and should be represented in comics.
Comics are not (just) for children.
Reading about the gay does not make you the gay.
And even if it did, so what?
The new Cap was not the old Cap.
Jesus didn't exist.
The Earth is more than 6000 years old.
It's usually best to read an article before spouting ill-informed bigoted hate that relates to a headline only.
And, I dunno, dinosaurs were real.

See also the current Aquaman: The Becoming mini series, which received the same response, probably from many of the same people.

SBT

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

milstar

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 14 October, 2021, 08:37:47 PM
See also the current Aquaman: The Becoming mini series, which received the same response, probably from many of the same people.

SBT

Is that the one with that awful cover as if it came straight out of a teen magazine?

Personally, I don't care about someone's sexual orientation, and such themes should be superficial to the character. Soul and integrity are more important. If you don't have that...it's bonkers. Like when they changed Dr. Who into a woman. Who had no character at all.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Art

QuoteDon't quote me on this but I seem to remember Constantine's bisexuality first being introduced by none other than John Smith; who wrote exactly one issue of Hellblazer in about 1992.  He wrote a very good Hellblazer too - would have loved to see him do a few more.

Hellbalzer #51 - Counting To Ten - The one mostly set at a launderette. It's a VERY good issue, worth hunting down.

Funt Solo

Quote from: milstar on 14 October, 2021, 11:30:39 PM
I don't care about someone's sexual orientation, and such themes should be superficial to the character. Soul and integrity are more important.

Except that actually they're intertwined.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

milstar

Quote from: Funt Solo on 15 October, 2021, 01:56:59 AM
Quote from: milstar on 14 October, 2021, 11:30:39 PM
I don't care about someone's sexual orientation, and such themes should be superficial to the character. Soul and integrity are more important.

Except that actually they're intertwined.

Cool. Another quasi scientific essay.

Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Hawkmumbler

How in gods name do you create characters sans sexuality, sensuality, and agency? That's not a character, that's a cipher.

Genuinely baffling take.